Norma VULKAN or ORYX?

The oryx are double the price here over the Woodleighs and I wonder are they doubly as good?
Woodleigh 9.3mm .366 232gr PP SN 50 Pack

It's the other way round, here Woodleighs run about 1.10-1.30 USD per, and Norma around .65 - .70 USD per.

Does anyone know what the 156gn oryx opens up down to?

I ended up getting some barnes 150gn ttsx for my 7x57 but wouldn't mind some of these as well.

The bc is the only thing that lets itself down with oryx for me on cross gully shots.

Does anyone know what the 156gn oryx opens up down to?

I ended up getting some barnes 150gn ttsx for my 7x57 but wouldn't mind some of these as well.

The bc is the only thing that lets itself down with oryx for me on cross gully shots.

It's a shame they don't make the Alaska in .284. It'll open up reliably, well below 2K fps. My next project for my 6.5 swede is 156 Alaska. Funny enough, the Alaskas have better BCs than Oryx.

Norma's bullets are not for long range shooting. But then again, consider their bread-and-butter market - Scandinavia. Most of their hunting is up close and personal.

Promotional video clip from Norma (in Swedish) showing performance of a couple of different bullets (including Oryx and Vulkan) at various ranges. Calibre is 30-06, though. Many gelatin blocks are killed in slowmotion, with most relevant numbers regarding weight retention and energies showed in english.

Might be helpful/interesting.

Awesome video,Gotto go Oryx imo

I use Oryx in my 8x57 js for almost everything form fox to wildebeest, and it works perfectly. I think the moderate velocity is what this bullet design needs to give the best of itself.
The Vulcan is used here for driven hunt at short distance, working well on wild boar.

@ Sambar, Just saw this..
I like the Oryx in the 9.3 but I think the Woodleigh will do the same job. Regarding price If you look at the Rebel Gunworks web-site, they have both and the Oryx 232 gr are AU$135/100 and the Woodleigh 232 Gr ar AU$158 /100
Choose you Poison.

Looking for some 165 gr Oryx, having a bugger of a time finding any.

A few Oryx bullets I recovered from various deer shot with the venerable 6.5x55. The deformations speak for themselves.
C46972FF-4D99-4811-880E-78D318B0A173.jpeg

sambarhunter,
congratulations on a nice looking as well as practical rifle.
I think I need one of those stocks for mine!
also congratulations on a great cartridge.
if the x64 has one problem, it is that due to lower popularity, most 9,3 bullets are intended for the lower velocities of the x62.
as such, most of them that work at longer ranges terminally, will let you down at closer ranges, or vice versa.
thus bullet selection is more critical.
can we assume you are using this gun for sambar?
shooting out to 300 yds, b.c. is not that critical to trajectory in the real world.
shooting past that range a 300, 8mm, or 340 mag might suit better.
232 gn sort of weights are light for 9.3mm.
would you consider 250 gns, as it might offer more bullet choices.
this is also lightish for calibre, but you can then choose from some bullets that will hold together at close range as well as opening up further out .
these include 250 gn barnes, and 250 gn swift, with swift being possibly the best choice.
the 250 accubond might also suit, but would be more likely to sacrifice at one end for ideal terminal performance at the other.
now to powders in aust.
2209 (h4350) is a good burning rate for 286 gn and up in the x64 if you compress it.
for this reason, you can't get enough of it in the case for full ballistic potential it the x64 with lighter bullets.
2208 (varget) might be a bit too fast, so it would be worth working up to max with both powders and going with the best.
it is a pity we do not have a powder in between the two for this cartridge as do our American brethren.
my advice would be to go for the swift bullet, based on my experience with their terminal performance.
yes they cost more, but if you only use them for actual hunting, and not blasting rocks or steel gongs, the extra expense is not much.
these bullets open up quite well when slowed down a little on low resistance targets, yet penetrate well with frontal area at higher speeds.
they are short enough to allow more powder space.
accubond and woodleigh lack the terminal consistency feature.
if they open at long range they will explode at short range, or if they hold together at close range they will pencil through at long range in comparison.
bruce.

forgot this in the previous post.
there is data out there for re15 in 9.3x64.
on the surface it looks like a good thing, but be wary of it.
it was around in oz, and there still could be some available.
max loads seen are way over safe in my rifle, and it peaks out very fast in pressure.
if you are up near the red line and the temp goes up you might wreck some of your good rws brass.
nick Harvey data shows imr 4320 as good in the x64 for lighter bullets, and it has a burning rate similar to 2208.
for 2209, about 76 gn is a sensible max compressed in this case, and would be a lower pressure load if velocities suited.
it would certainly burn better with a 250 gn bullet than a 232.
any loads suggested her are subject to the throat having cpi std leade angle.
if this is steepened to 1.5 degrees all bets are off.
bruce.

My `64`s first shot Bruce,its only had four shots at wildlife,one fox and three sambar. A bit of over kill on the fox but hey its first wildlife shot other than the three sighter`s. Its seen a lot of deer but I choose to shoot when its deemed the right thing to do.
I did have all sorts of probs getting an avenue through the foliage but rested her on the tripod leg for the fox shot hence the loss of vision at the shot...recoil was too much for it lol.

It doesnt have any probs drilling through deer at all as is expected. 232 gr`s

entry%20hind%201_zpsxnhplha5.jpg

Attachments

• entry hind 1_zpsxnhplha5.jpg
    entry hind 1_zpsxnhplha5.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 87
For big deer.

I used vulkans in a .300 win for a red stag one time and was a little 'underdone' on performance hence the question.

I was wanting some lighter bullets for my 9.3x64.

Norma projectile 9.3MM.365 232 gr Oryx

Norma projectile 9.3MM.365 232 gr Vulkan

Sambarhunter
A bit off topic mate but what would be wrong with either a 232 or 250 grain Woodleigh PPSP or RNSP. If you want flat try the 250 grain accubonds in the 9.3 at 2,600 fps
Just my 2 cents worth
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg