No one using Browning BLR (lever action) for plains game?

Red Leg,
Exactly which country did you mean was "a land where a handgun is not an option" ?
Certainly not RSA?
Try showing up in J’burg with your favorite Glock, Kimber, etc or carrying one in your pocket or in your waistband as a visiting hunter.

Last edited:
You gents have me wanting a BLR. Truth is I've sort of admired these rifles for a long time but never got serious about getting one. I'd probably like one in .300WM, but it's a little light at 7 lbs 12oz.

So I'm wondering if the forearm is a place where weight could be added. It looks like it only has a barrel channel and no other metallic parts of the rifle are inserted in the forearm. Can any of you confirm this or correct me?

I have a BLR in 358 Winchester. It never shot the 200 gr Hornady very accurately but it did like the 225 noslers partions which I like to use on black bears. I think it may be a great leopard round. It is faster than a bolt.

A BLR 308 is 6 1/2 pounds. A model 94 is 6 1/2 pounds and a Marlin 336 is 7. That was a factor in my decision to buy the BLR. It's a light handy little rifle and the 308 is imo far superior to the 30-30. Now for 200 pound animals inside 100 yards it doesn't matter, but the 30-30 is effective out to around 200 yards max.
curtism 1234,
Yeah, I was being facetious with my post on this (along with OPs). I mentioned the Winchester .30-30 and a crossbow hunting DG in Africa, because they were used (probably quite often) at one time. I just get the feeling after reading some posts on this thread, that some feel the BLR in an appropriate caliber wouldn’t be adequate for “plains game” hunting in Africa. I disagree. The BLR is a finely built rifle. My hunting buddy and his son have them in .30-06, and have taken pronghorn at distance in dusty, windy Wyoming and mule deer, elk and moose in freezing Colorado. I prefer my bolt action rifles. Is the BLR an “ideal” shooting platform? I don’t know? Ask someone who has killed lots of game with one (I.e. Ragman?) BUT, I believe that same hunter can/will take the plains game of Africa with it!

Last edited:
BTW, I did remember in the ‘90s seeing the BLR in the Browning brochure offered in .338WM. I’ve never seen one or for sale since. Been looking though for my hunting buddy’s son who currently has a BLR in .30-06. Maybe it was a limited production?

Red leg ,
Thank you for the clarification.
By the way, the first day in RSA, I saw a man wearing a .45 auto at the overnight stay and the next day my PH arrived wearing a Glock and he wore it every where we went for the following 10 days. Not every PH was visibly carrying, but more than a couple were.
To me, it seemed quite natural as lots of us in Texas carry concealed or open depending on circumstances. I have always carried a sheath knife or folding hunter on my belt when hunting big game and did in RSA too.
As well armed as we hunters were,it never occurred to me to take more than a rifle on Safari. However when working out on a hunting lease in Texas, count on it; rattle snakes you know.

Red leg ,
Thank you for the clarification.
By the way, the first day in RSA, I saw a man wearing a .45 auto at the overnight stay and the next day my PH arrived wearing a Glock and he wore it every where we went for the following 10 days. Not every PH was visibly carrying, but more than a couple were.
To me, it seemed quite natural as lots of us in Texas carry concealed or open depending on circumstances. I have always carried a sheath knife or folding hunter on my belt when hunting big game and did in RSA too.
As well armed as we hunters were,it never occurred to me to take more than a rifle on Safari. However when working out on a hunting lease in Texas, count on it; rattle snakes you know.
Absolutely. Those guys often carry and do so openly. Obviously, I do the same on our place here in Texas. Without being too melodramatic, I was left to "guard" the Land Cruiser once when we stopped for provisions in Rundu (a rough town on the Angola border) on the way to the Caprivi. I was standing next to the bed containing rifles, bags, etc. and I was accosted by a character demanding money with a couple of buddies hanging behind him checking out the truck. I showed him an inch of steel and an absolute willingness to use it, and they were off in a hurry. I have no idea what would have happened had I not had a self-defense option. I would also note that in following up a leopard, six inches of blade can be awfully handy in trying to peel one off one's face. Obviously, haven't had the experience, but have followed up two cats. Mine was fortunately dead after sixty yards, the other we thankfully never closed on - probably just lightly creased by an Argentine hunter. However our Aussie friends may laugh, having a handy knife seemed about as important as my rifle.

co,
275 rigby = 7x57 mauser.
rigby just rebranded it when they were the british agents for mauser.
the bore diameter of 7mm is 275/276, while the groove diameter is 284.
the cartridge would fit as it is between 308 and 30/06 length, and similar diameter.
feeding is an unknown.

bruce.

Also the Rigby load was with a lighter 140gr bullet than the traditional round nose 175gr of the 7x57. Also the CIP (European equivalent of SAAMI) has the throat of the .275 Rigby cut shorter for these bullets rather than the longer throat of the 7x57.

ATB,

Scrummy

And in Europe a 9.3x62 BAR is a factory option and considered great for boar...
My father in law has been to Alaska hunting moose and caribou twice in the early ‘90s and told me some of the locals had STAINLESS BARs in.338WM. I’ve never seen the BAR offered in stainless in the lower 48?

Phil, We had a BLR for a couple years. It is a very nice rifle, the only drawback is the trigger. Could not get it below about 5 lbs after several attempts by myself and two gunsmiths. Also the fun part is getting everything back in time so the bolt is closed when the lever is in position. I'm sure there are guys on here that have had better luck, but Tammy was happy when I sold it and bought her a Winchester 70 compact featherweight in 308. If you remember, that is the rifle she took to SA.
Philip

Phil, We had a BLR for a couple years. It is a very nice rifle, the only drawback is the trigger. Could not get it below about 5 lbs after several attempts by myself and two gunsmiths. Also the fun part is getting everything back in time so the bolt is closed when the lever is in position. I'm sure there are guys on here that have had better luck, but Tammy was happy when I sold it and bought her a Winchester 70 compact featherweight in 308. If you remember, that is the rifle she took to SA.
Philip

5lbs....that's heavy.

Mine was over 8 pounds despite despite being advertised as 3.5

Living close to their service center I dropped it off there and they got it to 5.5 pounds which they called "in spec" so they refused to go lower...

http://www.neiljones.com/html/gunsmithing.html
This is the man to ship it to for a nice 3 pound trigger. I need to get mine to him

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 9.44.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 9.44.07 AM.png
    451.1 KB · Views: 135
if you could get one with 275 rigby written in the barrel, maybe the hardon factor of that will offset other problems with a lever in Africa.
who knows, you might even get some game with it then.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Your a cheeky bastard Bruce. Maybe he could get one in 06 and rebarrel to 35 Whelen or 280 rem. While we're at it he could get one in 300 mag and rebarrel to 458, I know that's been done before.
Seriously if @ryan80 wants to take his BLR in what ever caliber and shoots it well who cares if lever guns and Africa aren't synonymous. The aim is go and have a great time and enjoy yourself regardless if it bolt, double, drilling or lever. Use what you are comfortable with in an adequate caliber.
Bob

Uhh I get it,I have used The Marlin 30-30 for deer,great gun.Africa is bolt action and doubles! Use what you want but that’s just the way it is.I have lived there never seen a lever action.

Red Leg, we have something else in common - In RSA, I was also left to guard the truck and contents when the PH and my buddy went in for provisions. I sat in the back/open bed with some of our gear, but my wait was uneventful. It was a large shopping area patrolled by guards in pickups, but I do not recall the specifics.
I was NOT wearing my usual cross draw 4" .44 Magnum rig, so I was glad when our pistol packing PH returned.

Mine was over 8 pounds despite despite being advertised as 3.5

Living close to their service center I dropped it off there and they got it to 5.5 pounds which they called "in spec" so they refused to go lower...

http://www.neiljones.com/html/gunsmithing.html
This is the man to ship it to for a nice 3 pound trigger. I need to get mine to him
I had Neil work the trigger on my 358 BLR, when I bought it was 9lbs. He got it down to 3.5 with no creep or over-travel. Breaks like glass now. Took that gun from 2 inch groups to MOA. I highly recommend him for anyone who wants a great trigger on their BLR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg