No one using Browning BLR (lever action) for plains game?

I say if you like it, and shoot it well, then bring it! The animal won't know the difference. I had a hunting buddy that had one in .308 and absolutely loved it. So much in fact that when he decided he wanted a .270 a BLR was his first choice. He also had a .22 BLR. He never had any trouble (ever) with his, and the .308 he hunted with for many years took a LOT of game!

Another note.... Sure a lever gun doesn't scream Africa. So what? I'm not from Africa. Most members on here aren't from Africa. Want to look the part? That's fine. But what's wrong with being yourself? There's too many poser's in this world already. I think it would be cool as hell for a cowboy to take his cowboy gun to Africa and have a blast with it! (That being said, the BLR doesn't look so that "cowboy" in my opinion.)
Cheers

Have two 325 wsm's. One is a take down BLR, The other is winchester. Both are kind of collectors item NIB. MY 340 wby will do all I want in North America.

if you have the right hat, the right shirt, the right strides, and the right watch, and a barrel band swivel, you could get away with a lever gun.
as long as it is best grade british gun trade made and in 275 rigby.
bruce.
Another note.... Sure a lever gun doesn't scream Africa. So what? I'm not from Africa. Most members on here aren't from Africa. Want to look the part? That's fine. But what's wrong with being yourself? There's too many poser's in this world already. I think it would be cool as hell for a cowboy to take his cowboy gun to Africa and have a blast with it! (That being said, the BLR doesn't look so that "cowboy" in my opinion.)
Cheers

i bet it would not compete with your whelen loads for one shot flop type kills.
bruce.
Bruce
I've only had bang flop kills on pigs so far hope to try deer in QLD in a couple of weeks if I don't decide on my 25.
All my Namibia game fan for 5 to 20 yards even my impala. Don't ask why all perfect 1 shot kills tho.
Bob

if you could get one with 275 rigby written in the barrel, maybe the hardon factor of that will offset other problems with a lever in Africa.
who knows, you might even get some game with it then.
bruce.
Personally I can work a lever action more quickly than a bolt and while keeping it pointed in the general direction i need it for a follow up shot. Love my little 30-30 my grandfather game me decades ago.

Problem with levers in 30-30, 35 Remington and such has always been range and that the tube magazine requires round nose bullets. The BLR has a standard magazine, some models come with back up sights and it comes in some useful cartridges like 30-06, 7mm mag 300 win mag, etc.

I know the BAR is illegal in Africa, but what about the BLR? Does it feed reliably enough? What am I missing?
It would be awesome. I have never had one but I have had others, like Winchester 88 in .358 Win., Savage .300 ( the old style with the brass rotary mag.) Marlin .35, Marlin .44 mag. Every single one of these killed moose, deer and bear. The .44 mag accounted for a real big grizzly. Numerous moose and elk are killed every year here in North America with lever guns. If you are happy and comfortable with your rifle, take it. Like others have suggested though, keep it clean, but no doubt you know that.
How is the trigger on yours? If I were buying one for Africa I'd go for the 325 WSM.

Last edited:
Blr's qualify as a saddle gun as any other lever gun. It is as much a cowboy gun evry bit.
I seem to have struck a chord, and that was not my intent. I believe I relayed that I think it's a quality firearm, I'm simply saying that when I think "cowboy gun" the BLR is just not what comes to mind! It wasn't until 1969 that production of the BLR lever action rifle began. In 1981 the Model 81 BLR was introduced with minor changes and a different magazine. I think the Lightning BLR is the most recent, introduced in 1995.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross