Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
DSCF1216.jpeg

The hunt was on a private sheep farm that backs straight onto the Ruahine National Park Range which then stretches for approx. 30km to the south east. About 10 years ago the owner introduced to the indigenous Red Deer population in that region, 3 stags with superb Czech genetics, another 7 stags and about 20 hinds. My 6-7 year old Stag is probably the offspring of one of the hinds and an existing 'scrubber' stag.

The farm is approx 3K acres + with 3 foot fences. The nearest game farm would be 30km away. I was only the third trophy hunter allowed onto the place in the last three years as it is the owners private Red Deer hunting block. Thanks to a contact on the internet I was given an introduction to my hosts.

Our hut.
DSCF1244.jpg

After scouting the area the previous afternoon and seeing three shootable 12 pointers we went to bed. My guide ( Phil Whitelaw) said never on the first day and we may find somthing better. We took off before dawn from our hut to walk into the hills and bumped my stag after going only 150 metres. He was roaring with three hinds near him. About 45min into the stalk we could finally see his head gear well enough in the growing light to make a judgement and realised he was a 'taker'. The whole hunt only took 1.5 hours and covered approx 1.5km. I took my shot from the ridge on the left across 120 yards to the slope on the right.

DSCF1239.jpg

The 140 Sierra from my custom 7x57 Mauser 98 went in behind the left shoulder and angled forward towards the right leg. He went very stiff at the impact, turned his nose straight down hill, took five steps and torpedoed like a spear into the bush. DOA.

Needless to say I am very happy with the result.

NewZealand032.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1239.jpeg
    DSCF1239.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 222
  • NewZealand032.jpeg
    NewZealand032.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCF1244.jpeg
    DSCF1244.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 225
Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful animal and nice looking country as well. Congratulations!

That is really nice red stag. I really want to get one somewhere down the line. I definitely want those crowns on the top.

Congratulations. That is a nice trophy from wild stock.
Beautiful country!

Great free-range Red stag, Code4, congrats on a successful hunt in some awesome country.

Thx guys. I appreciate your positive comments and I'm still buzzing :).

I also try to fit in some cultural activity as well when I'm away. John the owner, was competeing in the local dog trials the day I flew out and I was made welcome to watch as I was fascinated to see how it is done. Up at 04:30, loaded the dogs after Breakfast and off we went. They had long and short courses for header dogs and Huntaways.

The long course. Sheep are released 80% up the hill to be brought back to the shepherd. The goal is not to let the sheep deviate from a straight line down or you lose points.
NewZealand035.jpg

It was great to watch the Shepherds (male and female) control these marvelous dogs with nothing more than different whistle cammands. (Find and watch some on YouTube).

What fascinated me, if your dog did a shit on the course it was instant disqualification Lol.
Some shepherds have up to five dogs each with seperate whistle calls so they can work five dogs and five mobs of sheep from the valley floor at the same time. I had to leave early to catch my flight. The event is followed by a huge hot lunch and then the bar opens. I'm thinking it is more of an excuse to get on the grog than anything else.

I had no troubles with customs or Ag coming back into Australia. I was careful to declare everything possible. I brought the boiled skull cap and antlers with me wrapped in bubble wrap with hose sections fitted over the points.

NewZealand033.jpg

I thought some Greenies may have had a go at me and I certainly got some worried looks from people. Our society has lost a percentage of its cultural backbone that's for sure. The only two who said anything to me were a couple of old fellas interested in the hunt.

Attachments

• NewZealand035.jpeg
    NewZealand035.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 238
  • NewZealand033.jpeg
    NewZealand033.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 214
Beautiful classic stag,
I would take a free range one like that any day.

Code 4

Congratulation!!!! you got a remarkable trophy red stag , sure it would be the most adorning head in your trophy hall .... Great result with the 275.

Monish

Code 4

You luck dog you...I do believe that anyone on here would like to have the one you were able to get...

Great looking trophy there and once again proving the abilities of a great little cartridge. Excellent!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg