New Model 70 Scarcity?

COSA

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
What is the issue with the scarcity of new model 70’s in 375 & 416? Used ones seem to be going for more than new msrp. If they suspended production, anyone know when Winchester will resume?

Also, why doesn’t Winchester make these in a Super Grade stock? Seems like most would pay an extra 4-500 for the nicer grain than the current plain Jane ones…

They seem to come in waves. You’ll see a few dealer post them at various prices, mostly over msrp. Then nothing for a while, except the ones asking $400+ over and then a few more trickle out. My local dealer has a bunch on order, but doesn’t have any clue when they’re going to arrive.

The trouble with very well made guns is that they rarely, if ever, wear out. Our big bores don't get shot as much as a 5.56 or .308 either.

Then there are production runs;
Been wondering that myself. Even the Ruger Africans are never in stock anymore.
For small demand items such as big bore rifles, manufacturers will make a lot or batch of them. Then they will make a batch of similar medium or small bore rifles. If the demand is high for something other than big bores, the rifles that will sell quick get the skilled labor.

Buy what you need when it is available, not when you need it.

Seems that the demand for smaller calibers….especially the long range numbers like the Creedmoor…are accounting for all of the production these days. Try to find a new M70 in 30-06.

I was trying to buy a M70 Safari express in 375 back in April and they were scarce but found a good used one after a few weeks looking. My local gun shop here is SW MT offered to order one for me, Winchester told them it would be next March at the earliest before any big bores would become available to dealers

I bought a new one from an online dealer earlier this year. I received an in stock notification about two weeks after signing up for it. They seemed to have a few in stock then. Not sure if I lucked out in my timing, but I was happy. Times may be different now.

I bought my lefty Ruger Alaskan 375rcm a couple of months ago, new in the box.
A used one just sold on a familiar site for 50% more than I paid for mine on the same site!

I bought my lefty Ruger Alaskan 375rcm a couple of months ago, new in the box.
A used one just sold on a familiar site for 50% more than I paid for mine on the same site!
because its a lefty! :ROFLMAO:

They’re around , just need to dig

I found a M70 Safari Express NIB from a fly fishing website in WA state As the man says, "Dig!"

Out of curiosity, what have been the going rates on the Super Express 375 in excellent shape?

Out of curiosity, what have been the going rates on the Super Express 375 in excellent shape?
Safari express?

If so, and may experience may not be what you’re looking for since I bought it new, my M70 Safari 375h&h was purchased in February for a tick over $1,400.

A few years back, I worked the gun counter at a big box retailer. I ordered a 70 Safari Express directly from Browning. Their rep said they produce those rifles for one month each year. Same can be said for many wood stocked rifles. They would rather turn and burn plastic stocked rifles for a higher profit margin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.