Reaction score
Media
Welcome to AH Hawkeyesatx. First off, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVCE. There are lots of "Ex" G.I.(s) here and more than a few Cops (no slur intended.) Please tell us a little more about yourself as a hunter. Things like what have you hunted in the past, what kind and caliber rifles you own. Do you have any favorite calibers?
I have been an avid predator hunter, mostly coyotes. I use my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor for that.
Big game here in the States I like to hunt is Whitetail deer, Mule deer, elk, and occasionally moose. Deer hunting I use my Remington M700 BDL in .30-06, and that can double as my elk rifle. For elk, and moose I use my Weatherby Grand Slam in .300 Win Mag.
As of yet, I don't have any heavy calibers, but have had an Interarms Mk X in .375 H&H, and loved that rifle, cartridge combo. That one was more of a push when fired, not the slap like a .300 Win Mag.

Hawk

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Hello Everyone from San Antonio, TX.
I'm brand new ro the forum, and am a reloader.
I am prior military, and prior police officer.
I love ro hunt, and be outdoors.
I haven't been to Africa, yet, but would hope to go to mark it off my bucket list.
I've read the exploits of Craig Boddington and his hunting adventures in Africa. I've also read a couple of articles by Ron Spomer and his trips to Africa.
It looks like I will really enjoy the knowledge, and expertise members have on this this forum.

Hawk
Hello hawkeyesatx,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Yours truly also was a Police Officer for my career choice.
Now retired, I have more time to discuss the most important topics known to man, with my fellow forum members here.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

VonJager

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Life, DSC, NRA Life, WSF Life
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa.
Welcome Hawkeye. I am also originally from San Antonio. Many a fair few from there have made the trek to Africa. A pretty knowledgeable group here, and no shortage of those willing to speak their minds Looking forward to you joining our discussions.

Global Rescue

Sponsor
Since 2012
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
ss.globalrescue.com
Media
Articles
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Grand Slam Club/Ovis
Welcome to AH and the posting side Hawk! Nice to have you part of our community and enjoy the forum.

gesch

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sheboygan Rifle and Pistol Club NRA
Hunted
WI, WY, AL, TN, KY, Namibia (x2)
I haven't been to Africa, yet, but would hope to go to mark it off my bucket list.
I've read the exploits of Craig Boddington and his hunting adventures in Africa. I've also read a couple of articles by Ron Spomer and his trips to Africa.
It looks like I will really enjoy the knowledge, and expertise members have on this this forum.

Hawk
Thank you for your service. I am looking forward to reading your Africa hunting report very soon! This forum is great. There are many great archived reports. Your new friend, Brian

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Welcome from a fellow Texan! Feel free to reach out to me with any questions.
Regards,
Philip

Reaction score
Media
Thank you all for your warm welcome!

I’m not going to hunt in Africa anytime soon, but I do like to read and get as much info from those that have gone.
Ever since I was a young kid, I have always wanted to hunt in Africa, and meet the people there.
I have several rifles that I like to hunt with. I have a Weatherby Mk V in .300 Win Mag, a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 WSM, a Marlin 1895 in .444 Marlin, a Remington M700 in .30-06, a Winchester M70 7x57, and an old Swedish Mauser in 6,5x55, plus the rifles mentioned above in a previous post.
I know that the .30-06, 7x57, and 6,5x55 have certain followings in Africa. But since I got my .444 Marlin, I’ve been wondering if that would be a good caliber to hunt in Africa?
The .444 Marlin has taken every kind of game here, from Coyote up to the nastiest, snarling Kodiak Brown Bear, and usually done with one well placed shot.
It levels deer, and elk like they were hit by Thor’s hammer.
Yes, it is a short range rifle, within 250 yds.
I wonder how it would do against leopard, and lions?
But alas, if I do go to Africa to hunt, I will more than likely take my .30-06, and 7x57, because if I need ammo, they’re easy to buy there.
A little about my hunting adventures. I have hunted in Iowa, where I am originally from, and Wyoming, where I was stationed, and here in Texas.
I’ve hunted antelope, deer, and elk, along with pheasant, and dove
The most challenging hunts have been in the mountains of Wyoming, and that has been mule deer, and when elk season has bled into deer season.
The longest shots I’ve ever taken and have been successful has been while I have been coyote hunting. The shots I took were 400 - 500 yds.
But enough about me.
Thank you all, again!

Hawk

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Welcome aboard mate. There a few texicans on this site with a similar background as yourself. From my poor memory @Sgt Zim isn't that far from you and he is a wealth of knowledge.
Bob

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Thank you all for your warm welcome!

I’m not going to hunt in Africa anytime soon, but I do like to read and get as much info from those that have gone.
Ever since I was a young kid, I have always wanted to hunt in Africa, and meet the people there.
I have several rifles that I like to hunt with. I have a Weatherby Mk V in .300 Win Mag, a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 WSM, a Marlin 1895 in .444 Marlin, a Remington M700 in .30-06, a Winchester M70 7x57, and an old Swedish Mauser in 6,5x55, plus the rifles mentioned above in a previous post.
I know that the .30-06, 7x57, and 6,5x55 have certain followings in Africa. But since I got my .444 Marlin, I’ve been wondering if that would be a good caliber to hunt in Africa?
The .444 Marlin has taken every kind of game here, from Coyote up to the nastiest, snarling Kodiak Brown Bear, and usually done with one well placed shot.
It levels deer, and elk like they were hit by Thor’s hammer.
Yes, it is a short range rifle, within 250 yds.
I wonder how it would do against leopard, and lions?
But alas, if I do go to Africa to hunt, I will more than likely take my .30-06, and 7x57, because if I need ammo, they’re easy to buy there.
A little about my hunting adventures. I have hunted in Iowa, where I am originally from, and Wyoming, where I was stationed, and here in Texas.
I’ve hunted antelope, deer, and elk, along with pheasant, and dove
The most challenging hunts have been in the mountains of Wyoming, and that has been mule deer, and when elk season has bled into deer season.
The longest shots I’ve ever taken and have been successful has been while I have been coyote hunting. The shots I took were 400 - 500 yds.
But enough about me.
Thank you all, again!

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Mate the 444 marlin is very underrated. I found the 265 grain FTX to be an excellent bullet as well as the 280 grain Woodleigh RNSP.
@bruce moulds who has deeper pockets than me loves the swift Aframe and a 280grain swift Aframe would be the ducks guts in the mighty marlin.
What I like about the 444 is that what you to try stays hit and they don't argue.
Bob

LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY

Sponsor
Since 2021
AH senior member
Reaction score
Website
lifeformtaxidermy.com
Media
Welcome to the posting side! Have fun planning and let us know if you have any questions

oscar1975

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Maybe a little late but welcome. I belong to a police force in Spain that has a military character. It is about the Civil Guard and I have the rank (recently acquired) of Brigade. I give you a military salute of course. Take care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmfun88one

Latest profile posts

eballo wrote on doubleboy's profile.
Is the Parker still for sale?
hunt 65 wrote on Bullthrower338's profile.
You ever sell the Hyme 458 Lott?
Bob Nelson 35Whelen wrote on jwp475's profile.
@jwp475
If you need help with your Whelen loads please PM me
Bob
xausa wrote on Challer's profile.
I don't know where you're located, but I'd be happy to let you try out my Krieghoff. I'm located in West Tennessee and the local gun club has a skeet layout and is located not far from my farm. We're about five miles from the Kentucky state line and about 100 miles west of Nashville.
I just joined today, I live in Louisiana. I joined mostly because of all of the 35 Whelen discussion as I am now very interested In the 35 Whelen. I have an 1885 Highwall that J.E.S.S. rebored to 35 Whelen

Also own 338s 375 and both a 416 rem and Rigby