New Member: Derrick

Bivy- Your my kind of guy- working your butt off to make it happen. I'm happy for you and look forward to the report- enjoy it all!!

Hello everyone...I'm Derrick, a.k.a Bivy.

I have been following this site for a little over a year following my booking of a May 2015 hunt in Namibia. AfricaHunting.com has been a tremendous resource for budgeting, packing lists, travel tips, etc. I'm grateful for all the information I received so far, and I like forward to contributing with my own hunting report following my return next month.

Visiting the African continent and immersing myself in it's widlife has been a dream of mine for as long as I can recollect; probably around 5-6 years old. However, it wasn't until discovering Ernest Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa in my middle school library that I recognized safari as an option. My thrist for African safari literature was insatiable throughout the remainder of my middle and high school years. I wore the covers off Ruark's Horn of the Hunter, Boddington's Mt. Kenya to the Cape, and a plethora of other Safari Press publishings. Additionally, some great members of the local chapter of SCI would supply me, a broke kid, with back issues of SAFARI magazine when I attended the Cleveland Sportsmen Show.

My desire to hunt Africa has not waned, and last year, as I approached 30, I realized that making the dream a reality would be the greatest self-provided birthday present I could give myself. Soooooo...here I am completing last minute details associated with my first African hunt that I will depart on in exactly two weeks. The natural resource field does not pay well, so I have worked an additionally 40-hours a week (nights and weekends) at a fast food chain to save the funds for this adventure (not joking in the slightest). My point to all is...don't wait! Turn your dreams into reality before it is too late; we never know what life has in store for us, or when we are scheduled to check-out.
Welcome to AH and sharing your story. Enjoy your safari and cherish every moment!

Good on you buddy ....!
Your enthusiasm is bloody contagious .
Have a great time .
I have a saying that there is no such thing as a bad hunt , Just some are better than others !
You say you are going in May , when do you leave to go home , I will be in Windhoek On the 2nd june to start my hunt .
Cheers Dory .

Welcome Bivy! That looks like a big ol pumpkin head of a bear in your avitar !
Albertaguy: He is an exceptional bear for Montana (probably anywhere) and I'm very fortunate to of taken him. He squared 8' with a B&C skull that would place him in the top 30 bears harvested in Montana all-time. This bear was a lesson in perseverance…I was preparing to pack it in after five hours glassing for him specifically when he walked out of the aspens 200yds below me.

Good on you buddy ....!
Your enthusiasm is bloody contagious .
Have a great time .
I have a saying that there is no such thing as a bad hunt , Just some are better than others !
You say you are going in May , when do you leave to go home , I will be in Windhoek On the 2nd june to start my hunt .
Cheers Dory .

Dory: I will be heading for home on May 25th. It would have been great to meet a fellow AH-er. Good luck on your hunt and be sure to share your experiences with us!

Everyone else: Once again, I appreciate the warm welcome. Look for a new thread this weekend on the 'Before and After' sub-forum describing my pre-trip preparations and packing list. I would appreciate any responses regarding what I may have missed or should consider.

Welcome, with all that you've put into hunting Africa you're really going to have a great safari. I'm going crazy trying to get safari #2 to happen sooner rather than later.
Use permethrin on all your hunting clothes, boots, pack, etc., the ticks can be rather plentiful.

Welcome to the AH forum Bivy!

I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming hunt in Namibia. It sure appears that you had plenty of hunting success in Montana by the looks of that bear.

Good hunting to you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg