New Mauser vs New Rigby

I did indeed own a Heym Express 404 a couple of years ago. I honestly sold it because to me, it's just too nice to hunt with. I knew I would never use it like it's meant to be used, since I have several other utilitarian rifles that most likely always would get the nod when going into the field. I also found it to be a bit too heavy once a scope is installed. To me, a 404 or 416 doesn't need to weigh over 8 or 9lbs bare. Especially a 404. I still love beautiful rifles, and all of those mentioned here are in about the same category IMO. I currently own a Kimber Caprivi in 458 Lott that has wood on par with rifles far beyond it in price. But at a price point that I could justify for a truly huntable rifle. Here's a picture of the Kimber.
Agree with you about the weight. I was thinking about 9# with a scope, rings, ammo and sling for a 404J.

I wish we could buy Mauser actions or barreled actions.
Granite Mountain is the best you will find on this side of the pond.

Both are fine rifles - I like the look of the Mauser better myself.
I have some spectacular custom mausers that I have paid 1/2 what they are asking for these…. Just have a hard time justifying their price.

I would probably pay double to not have to deal with gunsmiths on a custom build. Last rifle broke me with lack of communication, time wasted, and overall poor business practices. Seems like some smiths once they self identify as an artist or craftsman they become a crap business owner.

I would probably pay double to not have to deal with gunsmiths on a custom build. Last rifle broke me with lack of communication, time wasted, and overall poor business practices. Seems like some smiths once they self identify as an artist or craftsman they become a crap business owner.
AGREED! I'm currently having a rifle re-barreled by a well known smith/company. What was initially quoted as a 6 week lead time has turned into 8 months. When I told them to send me the rifle back, they suddenly got all the parts in and said they were finishing and shipping it the next week. Now, two weeks later....still no rifle....

AGREED! I'm currently having a rifle re-barreled by a well known smith/company. What was initially quoted as a 6 week lead time has turned into 8 months. When I told them to send me the rifle back, they suddenly got all the parts in and said they were finishing and shipping it the next week. Now, two weeks later....still no rifle....

My "One Month" modification with a well known smith has just turned in almost a year. Still no rifle and he is ignoring all communication (E-mail, call, text). The only company to ever respond each and every time has been Rigby.

My "One Month" modification with a well known smith has just turned in almost a year. Still no rifle and he is ignoring all communication (E-mail, call, text). The only company to ever respond each and every time has been Rigby.
Is your smith known for this type of business practice among other people that you know of? I've had great service from the company I'm dealing with in the past, but it's now under new ownership, and apparently can't keep up with demand. I realize that some parts are hard to get these days, but I also think some businesses are using that as their excuse for slow turnaround times. Maybe it's just the times we're living in now, and the end product will be worth the wait....

Is your smith known for this type of business practice among other people that you know of? I've had great service from the company I'm dealing with in the past, but it's now under new ownership, and apparently can't keep up with demand. I realize that some parts are hard to get these days, but I also think some businesses are using that as their excuse for slow turnaround times. Maybe it's just the times we're living in now, and the end product will be worth the wait....

His reputation was solid and came highly recommended. I feel some things have become acceptable or justifiable over the last few years and this is the new model.

His reputation was solid and came highly recommended. I feel some things have become acceptable or justifiable over the last few years and this is the new model.

Does he do taxidermy on the side? Sorry, I couldn’t help myself

Rigby

NOTE: all firearms were cleared and confirmed to be cleared by all members of hunting party prior to any photos being taken.

275 wildebeest.JPG
giraffe 416.JPG
Rigby on sticks 1.JPG
zebra 416.JPG

From the pics above, the Mauser looks way better imo. But, I would choose the Rigby. I think Rigby still has the name and history, whereas yes tMausers are also historical, but this new "breed" mausers feels "new", not the historical traditional version.
Not sure about the “feel” between a new Mauser and a old “original” . I can vouch for the fact that there is no comparison between the “new” Rigby and the “original”. I have owned both at the same time. I still have the original.

Looking at the new Mauser 98's and Rigby's, it seems to me Mauser is way over priced. When comparing the Mauser 98 Magnum Expert 375 H&H and the Rigby Big Game PH 375 H&H, there is basically a $500 difference(excl. tax and fees). Yes, the Mauser may have a grade 5 walnut stock, but the Rigby's grade 2 Turkish walnut looks better imo. The Rigby's barrel is a half inch shorter than the Mauser, but besides the stock and some cosmetics, the barreled actions are roughly the same. Both are finished in Nitride, which in my previous post we have come to conclude it's probably one of the strongest, if not the strongest finish on the market. View attachment 466380
View attachment 466381
The top picture is the Mauser 98 Magnum Expert, and the following is the Rigby Big Game PH. Im curious as to what your choice would be and why, mine is the Rigby for its overall beauty and worth the extra $500.
Are these already built?
Rigby & Mauser ..

The current Heym "Martini" Express rifle was designed in conjunction with Ralf Martini of Canada. It's a culmination of 2 years of research and testing by Martini that evaluated every single piece of the rifle and redesigned it for perfect function, safety and most importantly weight & balance. Now the looks? The looks come straight from the English gunmakers and with everything else done to such a high degree...the looks fall right into place IMO.

View attachment 466849

In addition to this, the rifle is made in one location. Everything is done in-house. Heym is in control of the entire process and not subject to anyone else's version of what is acceptable quality. This is important, or at least it's important to me. Like the magazine...it's just a magazine right? No, it's not. Each caliber has its own specific magazine box and follower. Each rifle action is tuned to work perfectly...right out of the box. No other manufacture has this much attention to detail. That's why I believe it's important.

I fell in love with the Heym bolt action not long after it came out, maybe 2015 or so. When @TOBY458 bought the EXACT rifle I had dreamed about, my jaw hit the floor. Of course, Toby being Toby it wasn't long before it hit the classifieds and sold before I could scrounge up the money. I believe I'm better off for not having bought it...at least that's what I tell myself. It's the one that got away. Maybe one day...
I've seen them advertised with "African Contours" .. it is different & available, perhaps who knows, in 500 J.

The current Heym "Martini" Express rifle was designed in conjunction with Ralf Martini of Canada. It's a culmination of 2 years of research and testing by Martini that evaluated every single piece of the rifle and redesigned it for perfect function, safety and most importantly weight & balance. Now the looks? The looks come straight from the English gunmakers and with everything else done to such a high degree...the looks fall right into place IMO.

View attachment 466849

In addition to this, the rifle is made in one location. Everything is done in-house. Heym is in control of the entire process and not subject to anyone else's version of what is acceptable quality. This is important, or at least it's important to me. Like the magazine...it's just a magazine right? No, it's not. Each caliber has its own specific magazine box and follower. Each rifle action is tuned to work perfectly...right out of the box. No other manufacture has this much attention to detail. That's why I believe it's important.

I fell in love with the Heym bolt action not long after it came out, maybe 2015 or so. When @TOBY458 bought the EXACT rifle I had dreamed about, my jaw hit the floor. Of course, Toby being Toby it wasn't long before it hit the classifieds and sold before I could scrounge up the money. I believe I'm better off for not having bought it...at least that's what I tell myself. It's the one that got away. Maybe one day...
Very well said. Heym is a class act, I would like to meet the boss one day, he is getting it all right.

I did indeed own a Heym Express 404 a couple of years ago. I honestly sold it because to me, it's just too nice to hunt with. I knew I would never use it like it's meant to be used, since I have several other utilitarian rifles that most likely always would get the nod when going into the field. I also found it to be a bit too heavy once a scope is installed. To me, a 404 or 416 doesn't need to weigh over 8 or 9lbs bare. Especially a 404. I still love beautiful rifles, and all of those mentioned here are in about the same category IMO. I currently own a Kimber Caprivi in 458 Lott that has wood on par with rifles far beyond it in price. But at a price point that I could justify for a truly huntable rifle. Here's a picture of the Kimber.

View attachment 466850
What is the balance on the Kinber like? I found the Rigby Big Game in 375 H&H a bit barrel heavy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross