New Mauser vs New Rigby

Personally, I like the rear sight of the Mauser but the front sight of the rigby. I like the wood grade of the Mauser but the darkness of the rigby. And I like the rigby butt pad.

Both are fine rifles, but the quarter rib on the Rigby would, for me, win out over the island rear sight of the Mauser.

I own a Rigby and generally like their look over the Mauser. What I am a huge fan of with Rigby is their reach back. If I have a problem they answer a phone call or e-mail. They get things sorted rapidly and do their best to make you feel taken care of. I am not sure how Mauser works.

They are both owned by L&O/Blaser Group. In the USA, all are imported and serviced at the same location Blaser USA in San Antonio.

I was unaware of that. I reached out to Rigby and they sorted it themselves.

That is likely the plainest stock I have yet to see on a Rigby. Below is mine (a Highland Stalker - not Big Game - but the same basic stock), and is more typical of what I have seen on these production rifles.

New Rigby .275

But I do not think there is a quality difference between the two offerings, and they are clearly intended to compete for the same customer dollar but not really against each other. Hence, the now near identical retail cost. As long as customers are debating Mauser or Rigby, L&O and Blaser Group have a winning marketing strategy.
@Red Leg The picture originally posted is the Big Game PH model, only has a grade 2 stock where as your Highland Stalker and the Big Game model have a grade 5 stock. That's why the picture originally posted is a plain looking bit of walnut. Having said that I have seen a Big Game PH model in person and it was better than the photo Rigby have on their website.

How about a vote for neither.

Heym Martini Express 404J with grade 5 wood. Less expensive than either and IMO more beautiful.

Both are fine rifles - I like the look of the Mauser better myself.
I have some spectacular custom mausers that I have paid 1/2 what they are asking for these…. Just have a hard time justifying their price.

Heym Martini Express 404J with grade 5 wood. Less expensive than either and IMO more beautiful.
Second that. I recently saw the two side by side and the Heym has better form.

If you are seriously concidering buying either one of those rifles then God has richly blessed your life. I like the lines of the Rigby but the wood on the Mauser. I'm sure the picture of the Rigby isn't doing it justice.

If you are seriously concidering buying either one of those rifles then God has richly blessed your life. I like the lines of the Rigby but the wood on the Mauser. I'm sure the picture of the Rigby isn't doing it justice.

I was very fortunate to buy a Rigby before the prices skyrocketed. I am very pleased with it.

Looking at the new Mauser 98's and Rigby's, it seems to me Mauser is way over priced. When comparing the Mauser 98 Magnum Expert 375 H&H and the Rigby Big Game PH 375 H&H, there is basically a $500 difference(excl. tax and fees). Yes, the Mauser may have a grade 5 walnut stock, but the Rigby's grade 2 Turkish walnut looks better imo. The Rigby's barrel is a half inch shorter than the Mauser, but besides the stock and some cosmetics, the barreled actions are roughly the same. Both are finished in Nitride, which in my previous post we have come to conclude it's probably one of the strongest, if not the strongest finish on the market. View attachment 466380
View attachment 466381
The top picture is the Mauser 98 Magnum Expert, and the following is the Rigby Big Game PH. Im curious as to what your choice would be and why, mine is the Rigby for its overall beauty and worth the extra $500.
Both are out of my reach, but I would not make a decision without shouldering them and at least working the action. Just judging by the photo I like the Mauser more. But the Rigby does have the historical appeal.

Really, .. I don't hear much about Heym's Express. .. love to hear your thoughts

Mauser, god bless, .. barrel band express sight, etc.

On modern market, mauser is now utilising the fact that CZ phased out production of CZ 550 magnum, so over the night they raised the price to level of Rigby. The raise of price, is not related to "quality improvement", but for window of opportunity.

I think that I did say somewhere on the forum, that price will go up, when CZ switched production to medium action cz 557.

Before that, mauser price was more acceptable for high middle class market.
Quality of both, now and then, I do not doubt.

The rest is marketing policy.

Why not? There is a buyer for everything.

Which one of the two I would choose?

Tough choice.
The best answer woud be, I would take both of them in different calibers, one in medium action lenght for PG, and other in magnum lenght action for DG. For two gun safari, if I could only afford.

My vote would definitely go to the Rigby. The Mauser sure is a superb rifle but the Rigby has unique lines and as pointed out by others features a quarter rib. That makes all the difference for me.
Hunting with open iron sights the Rigby quarter rib is by far the best in my opinion.

Really, .. I don't hear much about Heym's Express. .. love to hear your thoughts
The current Heym "Martini" Express rifle was designed in conjunction with Ralf Martini of Canada. It's a culmination of 2 years of research and testing by Martini that evaluated every single piece of the rifle and redesigned it for perfect function, safety and most importantly weight & balance. Now the looks? The looks come straight from the English gunmakers and with everything else done to such a high degree...the looks fall right into place IMO.

1652816385186.png

In addition to this, the rifle is made in one location. Everything is done in-house. Heym is in control of the entire process and not subject to anyone else's version of what is acceptable quality. This is important, or at least it's important to me. Like the magazine...it's just a magazine right? No, it's not. Each caliber has its own specific magazine box and follower. Each rifle action is tuned to work perfectly...right out of the box. No other manufacture has this much attention to detail. That's why I believe it's important.

I fell in love with the Heym bolt action not long after it came out, maybe 2015 or so. When @TOBY458 bought the EXACT rifle I had dreamed about, my jaw hit the floor. Of course, Toby being Toby it wasn't long before it hit the classifieds and sold before I could scrounge up the money. I believe I'm better off for not having bought it...at least that's what I tell myself. It's the one that got away. Maybe one day...

I did indeed own a Heym Express 404 a couple of years ago. I honestly sold it because to me, it's just too nice to hunt with. I knew I would never use it like it's meant to be used, since I have several other utilitarian rifles that most likely always would get the nod when going into the field. I also found it to be a bit too heavy once a scope is installed. To me, a 404 or 416 doesn't need to weigh over 8 or 9lbs bare. Especially a 404. I still love beautiful rifles, and all of those mentioned here are in about the same category IMO. I currently own a Kimber Caprivi in 458 Lott that has wood on par with rifles far beyond it in price. But at a price point that I could justify for a truly huntable rifle. Here's a picture of the Kimber.

20220205_120107.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.