New Magnum Mauser with or with out thumb cut out

Boxlock

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA, BGRC
I am getting some quotes on a new Rigby in 416 Rigby but in left Hand but I notice you can have the thumb cut out or have solid side , Which is better? Does it Matter? I am leaning to solid side as thumb cut out was left over design for stripper clips but I don't think these existed in 416 Rigby ! Then I read some time ago the cut out is for gas escape in case of rupture?? so any thoughts or knowledge on this much appreciated......

I would keep thumb cut out, for sentimental rasons.

I am looking at getting a single square bridge with the original flag safety
My original pre war single square bridge Mauser with flag safety has thumb cut out. If the original had the cut out it is good enough for me.

My original pre war single square bridge Mauser with flag safety has thumb cut out. If the original had the cut out it is good enough for me.
A original! very impressive, looking at at a left hand version, tending now with cut out, What barrel length does it have?

Just buy a ZKK602 then and bild a custom....Rigby used many and they know how on this actìon....save some bucks for animals....many Rigbys built on it

Reactions: crs
Cut out was for reloading clip nothing else what is the point??
Cut out was for reloading clip nothing else what is the point??
The original Mauser 98 in military form used stripper clips and the thumb cut helped load the rifle but the Magnum Mauser could not be used with stripper clips but still retained the cut out, but I read some time back the cut out also acted to help divert gas in case of case rupture etc, so it may be a safety design but they offer both?

The original Mauser 98 in military form used stripper clips and the thumb cut helped load the rifle but the Magnum Mauser could not be used with stripper clips but still retained the cut out, but I read some time back the cut out also acted to help divert gas in case of case rupture etc, so it may be a safety design but they offer both?
So you saying with the cut out for stripper clip is safer for gas diversion in case of case rupture on a 416 Rigby built by Rigby?? You read it somewhere??
BS....

So you saying with the cut out for stripper clip is safer for gas diversion in case of case rupture on a 416 Rigby built by Rigby?? You read it somewhere??
BS....
Your pretty quick on the BS, I researched this a bit seems John Paul Mauser designed the 98 with thumb cut for stripper clip loading but ALSO to vent gas in case of case rupture but when the Magnum Mauser was made by Mauser for Rigby, which do not use stripper clips, the thumb cut was retained only in modern magnum mausers is it left solid {except bespoke models} and the reason for this is that USA restricts/bans importation of rifles that can be stripper clip loaded though the Rigby is not truly set up for it even with thumb cut out, so the thumb cut out is the safer option it seems....When Rigby get back to me with a quote I'll ask about the thumb cut out and their view on it.

Last edited:
My LEFT HAND magnum Mauser 98 has double square bridges and NO thumb cut out. Why would I want one? Stronger without it. And diverting gas if a cartridge ruptures? HOW?

The Mauser action was originally an advanced battle rifle invented by PETER PAUL MAUSER (1838 -1914) and the uniquely shaped bolt shroud was, alleged to have provided protection for the shooter by diverting gases in the case of a cartridge rupture.

Last edited:
Your pretty quick on the BS, I researched this a bit seems John Paul Mauser designed the 98 with thumb cut for stripper clip loading but ALSO to vent gas in case of case rupture but when the Magnum Mauser was made by Mauser for Rigby, which do not use stripper clips, the thumb cut was retained only in modern magnum mausers is it left solid {except bespoke models} and the reason for this is that USA restricts/bans importation of rifles that can be stripper clip loaded though the Rigby is not truly set up for it even with thumb cut out, so the thumb cut out is the safer option it seems....When Rigby get back to me with a quote I'll ask about the thumb cut out and their view on it.
The “ban” sure didn’t hinder the importation of SKS’s or Mosins. Or Mauser 98s for that matter.

Last edited:
I think the question is, do you want the look of the thumb cut out or not? I'm sure the engineering and metallurgy will assure that you never have to worry about anything, cut out or not.

I
A original! very impressive, looking at at a left hand version, tending now with cut out, What barrel length does it
As I wrote my original Rigby .416 single square bridge magnum mauser has the cut out. I just looked at my other original which started life as a .350 R. it also has the cut out. I really never thought about it aiding loading or not. I will measure the barrel length and post.

I am getting some quotes on a new Rigby in 416 Rigby but in left Hand but I notice you can have the thumb cut out or have solid side , Which is better? Does it Matter? I am leaning to solid side as thumb cut out was left over design for stripper clips but I don't think these existed in 416 Rigby ! Then I read some time ago the cut out is for gas escape in case of rupture?? so any thoughts or knowledge on this much appreciated......
It is my understanding that the thumb cutout was patented as a gas management feature. I doubt that the presence or absence thereof would significantly affect action strength. This is a front-locking action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaBlohm

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!