New Magnum Mauser with or with out thumb cut out

A original! very impressive, looking at at a left hand version, tending now with cut out, What barrel length does it have?
I just measured the bbl. length on the .416. The barrel is a stepped (at the swivel band) it measure approx 25” tapering to approximately .750”.
On the .350 (rebored by Rigby to .404j) the bbl. Is 24” tapered but stepped behind the rear sight.

Attachments

• Reimer-johannsen-Safari-416_101942149_94852_91B28681C8E4EA2E.jpeg
    Reimer-johannsen-Safari-416_101942149_94852_91B28681C8E4EA2E.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 126
not sure if a stripper clip would even work??

Attachments

• 4A1D31A0-A25F-4CA3-99CB-DC4CD3F42B00.jpeg
    4A1D31A0-A25F-4CA3-99CB-DC4CD3F42B00.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 111
  • 5EF6F50F-FB1F-4AA6-B32A-DA21E65D0D5A.jpeg
    5EF6F50F-FB1F-4AA6-B32A-DA21E65D0D5A.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 121
Your pretty quick on the BS, I researched this a bit seems John Paul Mauser designed the 98 with thumb cut for stripper clip loading but ALSO to vent gas in case of case rupture but when the Magnum Mauser was made by Mauser for Rigby, which do not use stripper clips, the thumb cut was retained only in modern magnum mausers is it left solid {except bespoke models} and the reason for this is that USA restricts/bans importation of rifles that can be stripper clip loaded though the Rigby is not truly set up for it even with thumb cut out, so the thumb cut out is the safer option it seems....When Rigby get back to me with a quote I'll ask about the thumb cut out and their view on it.
Absolutely correct that the cut served two purposes. With a right hand load, the thumb will come to rest in the slot as the last round in the stripper clip enters the magazine - otherwise, the thumb would have to be rotated in line with the magazine for the last round - a bad complication during the heat of combat. The cut also served as a gas escape "port" for a ruptured case.

However, I am unaware of any ban on any Mauser actions in the US - with or without stripper clip slots. There are a lot of C96's out there as well among collectors.

Absolutely correct that the cut served two purposes. With a right hand load, the thumb will come to rest in the slot as the last round in the stripper clip enters the magazine - otherwise, the thumb would have to be rotated in line with the magazine for the last round - a bad complication during the heat of combat. The cut also served as a gas escape "port" for a ruptured case.

However, I am unaware of any ban on any Mauser actions in the US - with or without stripper clip slots. There are a lot of C96's out there as well among collectors.
yes there is a ban and it effects sporters coming into this country , it could be hit or miss as far as the customs services go from what I hear most sporters end up getting thru , believe it or not its suppose to keep military style weapons from being imported hence the stripper clip makes it a military weapon

yes there is a ban and it effects sporters coming into this country , it could be hit or miss as far as the customs services go from what I hear most sporters end up getting thru , believe it or not its suppose to keep military style weapons from being imported hence the stripper clip makes it a military weapon
I wonder how many millions of surplus Mausers with thumb cuts there are in the USA? Many Brit, American and other nationality gunmakers built rifles on surplus Mauser actions (with the thumb cut) and probably Rigby was among them. I cannot imagine why a builder of sprting arms that are not designed to use stripper clips would put a thumb cut in a new action... unless that is the only action available from the action manufacturer, or simply because it is 'traditional' Mauser.

I think that the solid side action is (perhaps) stiffer than one with a thumb cut, and this could (possibly) be of benefit on a big bore, heavy recoiling rifle.

the law went into effect I believe in 1968 I will have to check some crazy treaty thing

Boxlock,

I am assuming you are talking about obtaining a Rigby Bespoke model as I am not aware of them offering anything in left hand on other than the Bespoke Rifles.

I am also assuming that by your build specifications of a single square bridge and the flag safety that this is going to be a open sight only rifle? it that is in fact the case I totally understand your choice as well as the nostalgic lure of the classic lines. I would ask though, why are you saddling a pretty good medium long range Rifle with no option for the use of a optic? One could use a Double Square Bridge action with the bridges milled to take the Smithson System just in case, and with the cover plates installed the Rifle will retain the classic look but give the option of a optic. Just curious.
As far as the thumb cut, get what makes YOU happy. I am sure there are arguments for both sides, one with gas diversion and the other with a stiffer action etc etc. The only opinion that matters is yours. I do know that it seems to me however that on the secondary market a Double Square Bridge Magnum action will always bring more that a Single Square Bridge action. Let alone it being a left Handed one. I am left handed as well and for the money you are going to spend on a Bespoke Rifle One would want It to be as versatile as possible. Again just curious on your choices.

Best of luck on your journey of a Bespoke Rigby.

JP

FYI, just in case.
Photo of the Smithson system on my rifle, when it was still in the white with the covers installed. I like this system better than the H&H or the two main European styles of the Claw or the Swing Off. They both, to my eye at least, look a bit unsightly when the scope is removed.

708A058F-D26E-4404-B1BA-8CE426D23B78.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a side note, I have read of Jim Corbett loading his 275 with clips. Obviously not a magnum action, but I was surprised anyone used clips for hunting.

I think I agree that way no one will mistake this one for an original Rigby.

Just a side note, I have read of Jim Corbett loading his 275 with clips. Obviously not a magnum action, but I was surprised anyone used clips for hunting.
A clip is the kung fu shit of speed loading a Mauser. On lets say a driven wild boar hunt one can run out of ammo quite easily. With a clip you`re back in business in seconds. I´ve never had the use for it till now but I always have a spare clip carrying this rifle. Its an open sights shooter.
I`ve never seen or heard of a clip being used on a magnum Mauser though.
CC5AE439-1E1D-470B-9C00-37A4F733613E_1_201_a.jpeg

Designed for the 8x57mm Mauser....

Designed for the 8x57mm Mauser....
Yup. That`s part of the package deal. M98 is partly designed for 8x57. Having a M98 in 8x57 for open sights use you have a system that can be reloaded quickly with a clip. It will of course work fine with a large range of other calibers as well I believe. I had this one built to fill in the gap between 6,5x55 and 375H&H for medium size game at short to medium range. Moose, bears, red stag. Great caliber the 8x57. No wonder why its made such a huge revival over here i Europe the last decades.

If you have the choice go solid side wall.
there is no point in a modern rifle with a thumb cut out.

I thought I would check my other rifles for this "thumb cut out/gas escape" topic, My Westley Richards 318WR on a 1953 commercial FN mauser action has the cut out but can not stripper clip load, My Mauser style CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 375H&H has no cut out but does have a bit of a gap inside ,right hand side, its a left hand action, so I take this as its for gas escape also my Springfield 1903A3 has this also, The Winchester Safari Express in 375H&H has no gap at all, lI'll check my Zastava 375H&H later on.......

WasMr
Was Mr Corbett hunting, culling, or shooting for ivory? (me being pedantic)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross