New m70 crf

The new Classic CRF Model 70 is a safer design than the pre 64 with better overpressure gas venting. The parts are also cut with CNC machines to better match the specifications. That means almost no hand fitting is required.

Now the bad...
The magazine springs can break. No problem, just replace that modern marvel with a surplus M98 Mauser spring.

Secondly, the extractors can break. Ask any gunsmith with 40 years experience how many Classic extractors they've replaced? Chances are a few. Then ask how many pre 64 M70, M98, and P14/17 extractors they have replaced. Bet it is zero! The Classic extractors can however be upgraded to pre 64 or even P14/17 and maybe a M98 extractor by a reasonably competent gunsmith.

I have both old and new CRF M70's.

I have both (2012 South Carolina and 1953 New Haven) in 375.

the 1953 is new to me and is at the smith getting some stock reinforcement (had some small, not through and through cracks behind the recoil lug and the magazine well) so I haven’t shot it yet.

The newer action is a bit smoother in feeding and cycling and has a bit more play. The older is tighter/stiffer but only when comparing directly. As in I don’t think I’d notice it without cycling both in the same hour. The 1953, to my knowledge, has not had any action work by a smith so I could probably get them to clean it up a bit and make it slicker. It’s not enough of an issue to bother me.

The trigger on the older gun is superior. It has no take-up or over travel and breaks at just shy of three pounds. It reminds me of my triggertech special on a 700 custom I have. I wouldn’t be surprised if the trigger was tuned —honestly I’d be amazed if this is how the factory turned them out. That said, the pre64 is a super grade so maybe they spent extra time on it. This is not to say the 2012 trigger is bad—I would consider it better than nearly all new “production class” guns I’ve owned or shot. But the pre64 is better.

The safety is smoother on the older gun

Both feed easily without issue. Both are “true” controlled round feed and the extractor claw will snap over rounds dropped in the chamber as expected for the beveled claw

For my frame (5’10, long arms, 175) the super grade fits me far better. It’s also a full 1lb lighter than its 2012 counterpart. I shouldered it in the store and knew I couldn’t walk away from it. One of those that feels like it’s made for you

certainly your mileage may vary. This is all I can say for my examples in question.

As a last note, I hope I enjoy shooting the 1953 m70 as much as I’ve enjoyed its successor. I’ve put several hundred rounds through the South Carolina gun and it’s the best printing factory gun I own-250 and 300 grain projectiles of various flavors all print less than 1” with traditional metrics. I can get 10 shot groups <1.75” at 100 without cooling the barrel. That’ll do.

And no, I don’t try such things often. It was a “well if it can do that, can it do…”

As a shooter, I prefer it. I've been thoroughly impressed with the current production Mod 70's I have. My favorite is a 375H&H from 2019. It's a fabulous rifle with a better trigger and stock/bedding work than any of my pre 64s.

I may have had a lemon, but my Portuguese M70 had a faulty firing pin spring, a broken safety lever, and was sent back to browning for repair of a dent that was being put in the receiver by the bolt handle.
The original M70 trigger is also the simplest most reliable trigger ever put in a hunting rifle.
For me it is not pre vs post 64 it’s New Haven vs FN.

Look at the amount of 60’s and 70’s press dedicated to accurizing pre-64 model 70’s. Success seemed to be considered 3 shot, 1 moa performance. My experience with the new production is much much better than that right out of the box.

The original pre-war Winchester Model 70 in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum had a magazine capacity of 4+1. The currently manufactured ones made by Fabrique Nationale have a magazine capacity of 3+1.

Many of the original pre '64 Winchester Model 70s would experience feeding problems with round nosed soft points right out of the box (unless you smoothed out the feeding ramp with a file). The currently manufactured ones made by Fabrique Nationale feed round nosed soft points more reliably out of the box.

And yes, I have seen a broken firing pin spring on one specimen (just like @Wyatt Smith). The one I saw which developed this problem, was chambered in .458 Winchester Magnum.

Interestingly enough, I have seen another currently manufactured Fabrique Nationale made Winchester Model 70 (also chambered in .458 Winchester Magnum) which exhibited a most unusual phenomenon:

In order to cycle the bolt, the rifle would have to be brought down to the hip. If one was trying to cycle the bolt while keeping the rifle shouldered, then the action would completely get "Hooked". Considering that the owner of the rifle was my white hunter (and he guides extensively for wild lion), he had very good reason to be concerned.

I honestly think that both actions possess good merit. Although both should be checked by a competent gunsmith prior to being taken to the field.

I personally prefer the original New Haven made pre '64 action. But this is largely due to nostalgia than due to any practical reason.

Both are good solid rifles but the pre64s are special. I have both and prefer the older guns. One difference that hasn't been mentioned is the 2 piece bolt used in all post 63 rifles. To me a one piece forged bolt as used in the pre64s is certainly better.

@WAB are your M70s New Haven or FN made? I’m just curious as I feel the the late New Haven “Classic” CRF rifles are some of the best built.

New Haven. Tremendous rifles.

Right or wrong, have never been a fan of the pre-64.

@WAB are your M70s New Haven or FN made? I’m just curious as I feel the the late New Haven “Classic” CRF rifles are some of the best built.

I agree they are pretty good. I also have an older 5-digit, Friday afternoon, it’s beer-thirty 338 win mag and as horrid as some things are on it, it is a shooting machine. I dumped it in an HS stock and it’s a reliable, accurate beast.

My three year old FN Alaskan model 70 .375 had light firing pin strikes causing misfires. I brought it in to the local factory authorized gunsmith in February, and I’m still waiting for the parts to arrive 5 months later.

Right or wrong, have never been a fan of the pre-64.
I wouldn't know as I could never afford one and don't know anyone who has one. I did handle a pre '64 .375 once at a gun show and it felt "heavy". But, I couldn't afford the asking price anyway so C'est la Vie.

The new Classic M70s are good rifles - I have three in LH version (New Haven built) - 280AI, 7mm RM (I took this to Africa and it worked well, but decided to rebarrel to 308 NM). and .375 H&H.

The only problem I have had is with the triggers. I have replaced two with the Timney trigger but the 375 H&H trigger seems fine. I don't find the stocks comfortable and have restocked the 280AI and the .375. Will probably restock the third rifle as well.

I was surprised to find that the .375 would only take three rounds in the magazine. So I replaced the bottom metal with a Sunnyhill extended bottom metal and solved that problem.

375 Model 70 new stock.jpg

Last edited:
I have only owned one Winchester model 70 and it was a pre 64 in 243. Made my all time best ( some say luckiest) shot taking a woodchuck off hand at a paced off 406 yards. As mentioned above it had the best trigger of any rifle I have ever shot. My problem with it and most American made rifles is the stocks lop is too short. I typically add recoil pads just to get LOP to fit me better. Since I have started acquiring European made rifles (Man nlicher Schoenauer, Mauser, CZ ) I have found the fit and balance just fit me better. The feature on model 70's that I found stands out is the 3 position swing style safety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789bet188club

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25