New M70 375

Wyatt Smith

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
This evening I just won a gunbroker auction on a post 64 classic, 375 H&H. It has the synthetic “Tupperware” stock. I plan on dropping it into a McMillan stock and having a gunsmith cut the barrel to 22” and install classic safari sights.
As some of you know I own a Winchester Safari express 375, and I bout this rifle to replace that one. The reason being is that the safari express has the words “Made in Portugal” and “Browning” stamped on the barrel. There is nothing wrong with that rifle but those words burned my a$& a little so I bought one stamped “New Haven, CT”.
I will post pics when it comes.

Congrats on the winning bid! Like you stated, nothing wrong with the Portugal models but like you I don't/won't own any of the spaghetti-o serial numbered M70's.

I too own both variants of the model 70. I understand not wanting Portugal on the barrel, but the two Portugal guns that I own are actually made more precisely than the New Haven guns that I own. Machine work is better, and both are very accurate, smooth operating rifles.

Congratulations on the new addition.

We all know that buying the rifle is just a starting point.
Keep us up to date on how you make it yours.

I too own both variants of the model 70. I understand not wanting Portugal on the barrel, but the two Portugal guns that I own are actually made more precisely than the New Haven guns that I own. Machine work is better, and both are very accurate, smooth operating rifles.
My Portuguese rifle is the slickest bolt I’ve ever worked. My buddy actually nicknamed it butter bolt. I’m not going to sell it until the new one proves itself, but I want a New Haven Winchester.

Also I like the trigger, and the firing pin spring retainer better on the New Haven rifles.
Yes I agree on the trigger. Definitely a simpler design, and very easy to adjust. I have a stainless classic 375 with the same synthetic stock yours will have. Mine shoots very well, and I really like the feel of the stock. It has a nice thin pistol grip, and just feels right to me. It looks cheap, but it works.

Yes I agree on the trigger. Definitely a simpler design, and very easy to adjust. I have a stainless classic 375 with the same synthetic stock yours will have. Mine shoots very well, and I really like the feel of the stock. It has a nice thin pistol grip, and just feels right to me. It looks cheap, but it works.

I was waiting for that classic stainless to come to classifieds on this site after that new Heym, but I got this one for $725 so I jumped on it.

Perhaps I’ve not been paying attention but what’s wrong with the Portuguese Winchester’s? I have owned both Newhaven and Portuguese with no issues in either.

I too have both recent manufacture US and Portuguese Winchesters M70's and both are extremely well made and very accurate. I would not hesitate in buying the Portuguese manufactured ones. I read that only the assembly takes place in Portugal, but not the manufacture of components, which are are machined etc. in the US

I too have both recent manufacture US and Portuguese Winchesters M70's and both are extremely well made and very accurate. I would not hesitate in buying the Portuguese manufactured ones. I read that only the assembly takes place in Portugal, but not the manufacture of components, which are are machined etc. in the US

I have a 2014 M70 416 Rem, the markings on the barrel say made in USA assembled in Portugal. I bought this rifle in Europe, wonder if they differ in any way from the ones sold on other continents? It’s quite a decent rifle actually.

Perhaps I’ve not been paying attention but what’s wrong with the Portuguese Winchester’s? I have owned both Newhaven and Portuguese with no issues in either.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Portuguese rifles, only personal preference.

Just curious how this burns the OP’s a$$. I certainly prefer American made Winchester and Belgian made Browning but have or do own both Portuguese and Japanese. The workmanship is good and they function just fine. The only thing I really dislike about the Japanese Low Wall I have is the serial number is unceremoniously printed across the flat of the receiver.

Thought he knew something about the Portuguese Winchester’s I had not heard.

Just curious how this burns the OP’s a$$. I certainly prefer American made Winchester and Belgian made Browning but have or do own both Portuguese and Japanese. The workmanship is good and they function just fine. The only thing I really dislike about the Japanese Low Wall I have is the serial number is unceremoniously printed across the flat of the receiver.

Thought he knew something about the Portuguese Winchester’s I had not heard.
I don’t like the trigger on the FN rifles as well as the old ones, also the firing pin spring retainer is different (cheaper). I knew that Winchester was bought by Browning but I thought they were still making them in South Carolina. So when my rifle arrived I was deeply disappointed that it was made in Portugal,
Again they are good rifles, this is just a personal thing, with me wanting a “real” Winchester.
If I could afford a pre 64 375 I would definitely go that route. But you don’t see many for $725

Congratulations , Master Smith ! You have read all of my articles and so
you know exactly how I feel about the pre 64 Winchester Model 70 , chambered in .375 Holland & Holland magnum. You cannot do much better than the " rifleman's rifle " . Sturdy , robust , accurate and beautiful piece of classic American craftsmanship. Have you considered using a super grade stock on it ? Also , be sure to check the feed rails on your rifle. Some of the pre 64 Winchester Model 70 bolt rifles which l have seen in my career needed to have some work done to them , in order to get them to feed 300 grain soft point cartridges reliably .

I don’t like the trigger on the FN rifles as well as the old ones, also the firing pin spring retainer is different (cheaper). I knew that Winchester was bought by Browning but I thought they were still making them in South Carolina. So when my rifle arrived I was deeply disappointed that it was made in Portugal,
Again they are good rifles, this is just a personal thing, with me wanting a “real” Winchester.
If I could afford a pre 64 375 I would definitely go that route. But you don’t see many for $725

I may be willing to ease your suffering and buy that Portuguese rifle from you should you decide to sell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg