New guy here!

tomcat

New member
Joined
Jan 31, 2017
Messages
13
Reaction score
6
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hi everybody! My name is Thomas. I have hunted my whole life. Just now planing my first trip to Africa. I've learned a lot already by reading past posts!
 
Welcome to AH Thomas! Good luck on your planning and ask a lot of questions!
 
I'm taking a 300 WBY MAG with 180 grain spire points. Would you recommend a different bullet?
 
Welcome to the site.

From Africa game out of the caliber you want a barnes ttsx or a swift A-FRAME. I use a 300 win mag and a 257 wby mag and both bullets work and hold up on the bigger animals.
 
Last edited:
Thanks billc! I appreciate your input.
 
Welcome to AH.
 
I'm taking a 300 WBY MAG with 180 grain spire points. Would you recommend a different bullet?
welcome! I would ask what animals you expect to go after, most will need a well constructed bullet like a barnes, a-frame, etc. Like @billc already said. Also, what shoots best in your rifle is also important, as well as the terrain, length of shot, etc. Check with your P.H. as well. Don't mean to confuse but just to clarify, sounds like plains game is on your list. Dangerous game will require at least .375 in most areas. Good luck!
 
Welcome aboard!
 
Welcome to AH!
 
Welcome to AH sir!
 
welcome! I would ask what animals you expect to go after, most will need a well constructed bullet like a barnes, a-frame, etc. Like @billc already said. Also, what shoots best in your rifle is also important, as well as the terrain, length of shot, etc. Check with your P.H. as well. Don't mean to confuse but just to clarify, sounds like plains game is on your list. Dangerous game will require at least .375 in most areas. Good luck!

Yes sir! I'm looking at going after: kudu, gemsbok, Impala, warthog and maybe a sable.
 
Welcome to AH, Thomas! That is a fine caliber for Africa. Stick with a premium 180gr bullet. When you have enough powder in your case in a caliber such as the .300, I prefer the lead core bullets over the Barnes. Gives you a little bit more margin for error.
I shoot both lead cores as well as monolithic solids. It comes down to horses for courses.
The combination you have there will be deadly.
All the best for your trip.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen
 
Welcome to AH Thomas! Happy planning... :)
 
Welcome Thomas! Nothing like AH for information and getting people on their way to Africa.
 
Welcome and absorb the knowledge the great members and PH's are happy to share. Remember you only get one first safari enjoy every second of it.
 
Welcome tom cat. Planning is indeed part of the fun. From the info and knowledge presented on AH I was well prepared for my first Safari last August. This site is addicting regardless of whether you are a hunter, re-loader, shooter of just a gun-nut. Participate and enjoy.
 
Welcome to AH Thomas! Nice to have you on the site.
 
Welcome to AH Thomas! Shout if you need anything.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,327
Messages
1,572,994
Members
169,680
Latest member
lawyjawy
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top