New guy from OK

LOL, funny you should say that. On occasion I'll go saltwater fishing at the train trestle in Slidell for specs ad redfish. Certainly a hoot on light tackle. Truth be known though I used to go to Bearing Fork creek up by Tallequaw (?) and fly fish for small mouth bass. 2 1/2-3lbs smally on a 7wt fly rod in fast moving water and brother that was fun! I've always been able to experience the outdoors where ever I've lived. It's a matter of appreciating what's unique to a given area.
Almost! Tahlequah. Amen on that. That’s why I take half the year off. There’s just too much cool stuff out there in this world and I want to get all of it I can get.

CRowe, welcome to the AH forum! There’s a gemsbok and kudu waiting for you somewhere in Africa!

Hi, everybody. I’m brand new here and trying to soak up some info about Africa.
Im a lineman by trade and take off 6 months a year to hunt. I just saw some prices on plains game packages and they were less than I expected, so it’s got my wheels turning. I’ve always wanted a kudu and gemsbok so I came here learn more. Thanks
Welcome to AH

Im a lineman by trade and take off 6 months a year to hunt. I just saw some prices on plains game packages and they were less than I expected, so it’s got my wheels turning. I’ve always wanted a kudu and gemsbok so I came here learn more. Thanks
:S Welcome: to AH!
I was born in Oklahoma! This is a great place to learn a LOT about all things Africa!

Welcome!

I miss Oklahoma - went to grad school in Stillwater back in the 70's. In those days, Animal Science grad students could hunt on the north and south cattle ranges.
Cant hunt anymore, got super political and the Animal Science department stopped it. Now I cant confirm nor deny that any hunting does occur. Lake Blackwell still sells duck blind spots per lottery and Agronomy still closed bid auction off the west side of hwy 86 along Stillwater Creek for deer. I used to work there.

Welcome, hope you find the info your looking for. The ladies and gents on this site are full of info and are always polite. My suggestion is of course read these forums and next January head to Dallas for their SCI convention you can talk to the outfitters yourself. Its way better than emails and phone calls. I attend every year and its a blast.

I’ve been hearing about SCI conventions, banquets and auctions. I just looked up my local chapter and plan on joining, thanks!

Cant hunt anymore, got super political and the Animal Science department stopped it. Now I cant confirm nor deny that any hunting does occur. Lake Blackwell still sells duck blind spots per lottery and Agronomy still closed bid auction off the west side of hwy 86 along Stillwater Creek for deer. I used to work there.
Seems like nothing changes for the better where universities are involved. Thanks for the update.

Seems like nothing changes for the better where universities are involved. Thanks for the update.
I have tried to talk them into outfitted hunts Deer, Turkey and Ducks. The amount of added income the Animal Science and Agronomy departments are missing is huge. With the proper management the animals and research would be unaffected and the departments could have 100's of thousands of added money for the ranges. But they always go back to liability concerns and yes there are those but that's what insurance is for. I believe they just don't want the PR issues with all the anti's out there.

Welcome to the family and the forum, you are in the right place! Nothing like AH for information and getting people on their way to Africa.

Hello CRowe,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome! I lived in the big city of Enid for a couple years, since relocated to Missouri.
lots of good info here - my advice to you for booking a safari is probably the same as most would recommend - talk to 5 or 6 outfitters to determine which would be the best fit for you.

Welcome, you came to the right place.

Welcome! If you are ever in the northern part of OK just p.m. me and we can visit, maybe shoot a bit here. Glad you have joined! We will have a DSC chapter meeting here in early august if you can attend. No cost, just come and meet.

Welcome! If you are ever in the northern part of OK just p.m. me and we can visit, maybe shoot a bit here. Glad you have joined! We will have a DSC chapter meeting here in early august if you can attend. No cost, just come and meet.
Thanks K-man! I’ll still be off out working in early August but I’m still interested. What is DSC? I spend most of my time back home around the OKC area. How far from there are you?

DSC stands for Dallas Safari Club. Very similar to SCI but less formal - you don't have to be a member to participate. We have an Oklahoma chapter (as well as other states) that give a bit more local feel to the larger organization. I am just east of Enid. When we announce the date of the event I will post on here also.

Oh I see. Sounds great and Enid isn’t too far. I’ll definitely be wanting to pick your brain when I get back home. Thanks again

Welcome to AH! Let us know if you have any questions...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.