New Bird Dog

Nice dogs!
I used to hunt gambel’s quail out west, some britts would have definitely helped. Those birds never wanna fly.
You’ll need to bring a comb and get ‘em some boots if you’re gonna hunt in cactus country though.

Nice dogs!
I used to hunt gambel’s quail out west, some britts would have definitely helped. Those birds never wanna fly.
You’ll need to bring a comb and get ‘em some boots if you’re gonna hunt in cactus country though.
Hoping to hunt some gambels in the next 1-2 years. I'll definitely have my dog snake broken and outfitted with boots, etc before I do though. I wish my family land in Illinois still held the coveys of wild quail like it did when my dad was growing up. I would likely hunt primarily quail if that was an option.

Hoping to hunt some gambels in the next 1-2 years. I'll definitely have my dog snake broken and outfitted with boots, etc before I do though. I wish my family land in Illinois still held the coveys of wild quail like it did when my dad was growing up. I would likely hunt primarily quail if that was an option.
Here in the East the numbers definitely have dropped from the heyday. Hopefully good conservation can bring them back.

In Arizona you can still bag 3 types in 1 trip (Gambels, Scaled, & Mearns) just be ready to hike for them. Elevation can change 5000+ feet between habitats. Nice rugged country, lots of coveys to be found.

Good luck with your pup and your slam!

I did the Arizona trifecta with a guide about twenty years ago. Mearns quail might be my favorite bird to hunt. Would have to look the guides name up, but he hunted four brittanys at a time and they were awesome. I suspect he has passed away by now-

Leon Flemming-from sonoita and later we hunted with Don Lee from Patagonia and he ran shorthairs.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
A search indicates he is still in Sonoita, AZ.

I suspect in spirit he is still following his dogs but this is all I found
3578A541-C8B2-4633-A0F2-4DB8FB4FE4BE.jpeg

Know it's been a while since I posted on this thread, but I recently moved to Colorado with my wife and dogs. Ive been chasing Blue Grouse every chance I can get and plan to chase birds all winter, especially with pheasant and quail season opening soon. If anyone is around the area and interested in getting together for a hunt sometime, let me know. I should have some new dog pictures on birds before long.

Know it's been a while since I posted on this thread, but I recently moved to Colorado with my wife and dogs. Ive been chasing Blue Grouse every chance I can get and plan to chase birds all winter, especially with pheasant and quail season opening soon. If anyone is around the area and interested in getting together for a hunt sometime, let me know. I should have some new dog pictures on birds before long.
Where in CO are you? I might be able to give you some locations to hunt. PM me if interested. Example: Colorado is one, if not the only, place to hunt Mountain Sharptails.
The DOW has been very helpful in the past for me.

Where in CO are you? I might be able to give you some locations to hunt. PM me if interested. Example: Colorado is one, if not the only, place to hunt Mountain Sharptails.
The DOW has been very helpful in the past for me.
I'm in Brighton Colorado and pm sent.

Thanks! She's starting to come into her own. Found a covey of grouse last weekend. Can't wait until pheasant and quail opener next month.
That's great ! I find with bird dogs the more they actually hunt the faster they learn. Good luck with the opener and keep us posted.

Great name choice! That was the name I had picked out for the next female I got.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nedaalden

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.