New Bird Dog

Nice dogs!
I used to hunt gambel’s quail out west, some britts would have definitely helped. Those birds never wanna fly.
You’ll need to bring a comb and get ‘em some boots if you’re gonna hunt in cactus country though.
 
Nice dogs!
I used to hunt gambel’s quail out west, some britts would have definitely helped. Those birds never wanna fly.
You’ll need to bring a comb and get ‘em some boots if you’re gonna hunt in cactus country though.
Hoping to hunt some gambels in the next 1-2 years. I'll definitely have my dog snake broken and outfitted with boots, etc before I do though. I wish my family land in Illinois still held the coveys of wild quail like it did when my dad was growing up. I would likely hunt primarily quail if that was an option.
 
Hoping to hunt some gambels in the next 1-2 years. I'll definitely have my dog snake broken and outfitted with boots, etc before I do though. I wish my family land in Illinois still held the coveys of wild quail like it did when my dad was growing up. I would likely hunt primarily quail if that was an option.
Here in the East the numbers definitely have dropped from the heyday. Hopefully good conservation can bring them back.

In Arizona you can still bag 3 types in 1 trip (Gambels, Scaled, & Mearns) just be ready to hike for them. Elevation can change 5000+ feet between habitats. Nice rugged country, lots of coveys to be found.

Good luck with your pup and your slam!
 
I did the Arizona trifecta with a guide about twenty years ago. Mearns quail might be my favorite bird to hunt. Would have to look the guides name up, but he hunted four brittanys at a time and they were awesome. I suspect he has passed away by now-
 
Leon Flemming-from sonoita and later we hunted with Don Lee from Patagonia and he ran shorthairs.
image.jpg
image.jpg
 
Last edited:
A search indicates he is still in Sonoita, AZ.
 
I suspect in spirit he is still following his dogs but this is all I found
3578A541-C8B2-4633-A0F2-4DB8FB4FE4BE.jpeg
 
Know it's been a while since I posted on this thread, but I recently moved to Colorado with my wife and dogs. Ive been chasing Blue Grouse every chance I can get and plan to chase birds all winter, especially with pheasant and quail season opening soon. If anyone is around the area and interested in getting together for a hunt sometime, let me know. I should have some new dog pictures on birds before long.
 
Know it's been a while since I posted on this thread, but I recently moved to Colorado with my wife and dogs. Ive been chasing Blue Grouse every chance I can get and plan to chase birds all winter, especially with pheasant and quail season opening soon. If anyone is around the area and interested in getting together for a hunt sometime, let me know. I should have some new dog pictures on birds before long.
Where in CO are you? I might be able to give you some locations to hunt. PM me if interested. Example: Colorado is one, if not the only, place to hunt Mountain Sharptails.
The DOW has been very helpful in the past for me.
 
Where in CO are you? I might be able to give you some locations to hunt. PM me if interested. Example: Colorado is one, if not the only, place to hunt Mountain Sharptails.
The DOW has been very helpful in the past for me.
I'm in Brighton Colorado and pm sent.
 
Thanks! She's starting to come into her own. Found a covey of grouse last weekend. Can't wait until pheasant and quail opener next month.
That's great ! I find with bird dogs the more they actually hunt the faster they learn. Good luck with the opener and keep us posted.
 
Great name choice! That was the name I had picked out for the next female I got.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,238
Members
169,511
Latest member
ChaunceySp
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top