Need some advice

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by gizmo, Dec 1, 2018.

1. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    sooooo.... now that I have my double I’m in need a little help on a starting point. The Rizzini is 9.3x74r and regulated for S&B 285 grain ammo.
    I shot it the other day and it shoots beautifully but.... I’d like to load tsx’s or Swift A frames and try to get it to shoot equally as well with those. Anyone have a starting point. I’m probably over goat thinking this one but before I waste a bunch of time and money I’d like some advice from y’all that are experienced loading for doubles.

2. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    I'm going to be helping CAustin develop a load for his 470 NE Merkel. I was thinking about how to go about it. My thoughts were to chronograph the factory stuff it was regulated with, but also to pull one bullet to see how much powder the factory load contains. Next would be a few hours on QuickLoad to see if I could mimic the results. Knowing that S&B is European I'll be looking at European powders that match both the quantity and the chronograph data. I'll be following this thread to see how others would proceed.

Gizmo, you might try a box of "American" ammo just to see how it compares. Duplicating an "American" load assuming it shoots acceptably well might be an easier thing to do.

Ridgewalker, gizmo and WAB like this.

3. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Awesome and thank you. That’s a start.

4. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
    Erik,
    I got incredibly luck on my regulation load for my Merkel. I made a load with A-Frames that should be in the vicinity of the factory reg load which was a 500 gr trophy bonded. Then at the range I shot two factories across the screen to get true velocity. My first load shot within 20 FPS of the federal factory, identical POI with right at a 1” spread between barrels. Done.
    I actually was dreading the process but like I said the road rose up to meet me that day.

Laeveld and gizmo like this.

5. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Cody, seeing that you used a 500 Gr. bullet were your loads by chance for a 470 N.E.?? If so please provide me with your data. Either PM me or just put it here.

gizmo likes this.

6. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    My biggest fear is to start chasing it and wasting a ton of time and money. I may be making a bigger deal out of it than necessary but I’ve always heard how finicky doubles can be.

7. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
    Loaded 500 grain Swift A-Frame
    215M federal Primer
    118.0 grains IMR-7977

Edit: yes sir you are correct, 470 N.E out of a Merkel 140

gizmo likes this.

8. dougfinn

dougfinn AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Get G. Wright’s book Shooting The British Double. Lots of reloading and regulation help. Worth every penny.

9. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    Gizmo, I have a chronograph if you’d like me to bring it while there? We could check some factory loads for you.