www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
sooooo.... now that I have my double I’m in need a little help on a starting point. The Rizzini is 9.3x74r and regulated for S&B 285 grain ammo.
I shot it the other day and it shoots beautifully but.... I’d like to load tsx’s or Swift A frames and try to get it to shoot equally as well with those. Anyone have a starting point. I’m probably over goat thinking this one but before I waste a bunch of time and money I’d like some advice from y’all that are experienced loading for doubles.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
I'm going to be helping CAustin develop a load for his 470 NE Merkel. I was thinking about how to go about it. My thoughts were to chronograph the factory stuff it was regulated with, but also to pull one bullet to see how much powder the factory load contains. Next would be a few hours on QuickLoad to see if I could mimic the results. Knowing that S&B is European I'll be looking at European powders that match both the quantity and the chronograph data. I'll be following this thread to see how others would proceed.

Gizmo, you might try a box of "American" ammo just to see how it compares. Duplicating an "American" load assuming it shoots acceptably well might be an easier thing to do.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
I'm going to be helping CAustin develop a load for his 470 NE Merkel. I was thinking about how to go about it. My thoughts were to chronograph the factory stuff it was regulated with, but also to pull one bullet to see how much powder the factory load contains. Next would be a few hours on QuickLoad to see if I could mimic the results. Knowing that S&B is European I'll be looking at European powders that match both the quantity and the chronograph data. I'll be following this thread to see how others would proceed.

Gizmo, you might try a box of "American" ammo just to see how it compares. Duplicating an "American" load assuming it shoots acceptably well might be an easier thing to do.
Awesome and thank you. That’s a start.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Erik,
I got incredibly luck on my regulation load for my Merkel. I made a load with A-Frames that should be in the vicinity of the factory reg load which was a 500 gr trophy bonded. Then at the range I shot two factories across the screen to get true velocity. My first load shot within 20 FPS of the federal factory, identical POI with right at a 1” spread between barrels. Done.
I actually was dreading the process but like I said the road rose up to meet me that day.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Cody, seeing that you used a 500 Gr. bullet were your loads by chance for a 470 N.E.?? If so please provide me with your data. Either PM me or just put it here.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted
My biggest fear is to start chasing it and wasting a ton of time and money. I may be making a bigger deal out of it than necessary but I’ve always heard how finicky doubles can be.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Loaded 500 grain Swift A-Frame
215M federal Primer
118.0 grains IMR-7977

Edit: yes sir you are correct, 470 N.E out of a Merkel 140

dougfinn

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Get G. Wright’s book Shooting The British Double. Lots of reloading and regulation help. Worth every penny.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Gizmo, I have a chronograph if you’d like me to bring it while there? We could check some factory loads for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thdom

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J