Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
sooooo.... now that I have my double I’m in need a little help on a starting point. The Rizzini is 9.3x74r and regulated for S&B 285 grain ammo.
I shot it the other day and it shoots beautifully but.... I’d like to load tsx’s or Swift A frames and try to get it to shoot equally as well with those. Anyone have a starting point. I’m probably over goat thinking this one but before I waste a bunch of time and money I’d like some advice from y’all that are experienced loading for doubles.

I'm going to be helping CAustin develop a load for his 470 NE Merkel. I was thinking about how to go about it. My thoughts were to chronograph the factory stuff it was regulated with, but also to pull one bullet to see how much powder the factory load contains. Next would be a few hours on QuickLoad to see if I could mimic the results. Knowing that S&B is European I'll be looking at European powders that match both the quantity and the chronograph data. I'll be following this thread to see how others would proceed.

Gizmo, you might try a box of "American" ammo just to see how it compares. Duplicating an "American" load assuming it shoots acceptably well might be an easier thing to do.

I'm going to be helping CAustin develop a load for his 470 NE Merkel. I was thinking about how to go about it. My thoughts were to chronograph the factory stuff it was regulated with, but also to pull one bullet to see how much powder the factory load contains. Next would be a few hours on QuickLoad to see if I could mimic the results. Knowing that S&B is European I'll be looking at European powders that match both the quantity and the chronograph data. I'll be following this thread to see how others would proceed.

Gizmo, you might try a box of "American" ammo just to see how it compares. Duplicating an "American" load assuming it shoots acceptably well might be an easier thing to do.
Awesome and thank you. That’s a start.

Erik,
I got incredibly luck on my regulation load for my Merkel. I made a load with A-Frames that should be in the vicinity of the factory reg load which was a 500 gr trophy bonded. Then at the range I shot two factories across the screen to get true velocity. My first load shot within 20 FPS of the federal factory, identical POI with right at a 1” spread between barrels. Done.
I actually was dreading the process but like I said the road rose up to meet me that day.

Cody, seeing that you used a 500 Gr. bullet were your loads by chance for a 470 N.E.?? If so please provide me with your data. Either PM me or just put it here.

My biggest fear is to start chasing it and wasting a ton of time and money. I may be making a bigger deal out of it than necessary but I’ve always heard how finicky doubles can be.

Loaded 500 grain Swift A-Frame
215M federal Primer
118.0 grains IMR-7977

Edit: yes sir you are correct, 470 N.E out of a Merkel 140

Get G. Wright’s book Shooting The British Double. Lots of reloading and regulation help. Worth every penny.

Gizmo, I have a chronograph if you’d like me to bring it while there? We could check some factory loads for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,