Need help with European Hunting!

Tulu

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hey All!
So probably within two years I will be moving to France for work. It will be a huge culture shock for me but I am excited! I have been to a couple European countries before but I have never hunted outside of the states. Now here is where I need help, Anywhere I go I look for an excuse to get outside and continue my love of hunting. France seems pretty difficult with not only the hunting licenses but firearm accessibility. If anyone has info or advice on how to keep pursuing hunting whether that may be in France or a neighboring country that would be awesome! For the record I am sort of a cheap skate so the cheaper the better! I will most likely be near Marseille if that helps!
Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Have never hunted in Europe but have had German co-workers in the recent past that have. Keep in mind they were cops as was I, so cheap is the way to go. The ones I knew worked in general, close to the French border, just north of Switzerland. They all agreed that it was much cheaper for them to hunt in France than their own country even though they were German citizens. Since both countries were members of the EU, this fact probably made it cheaper than it would be for an American living there for work. Big hogs were their primary game to hunt. I don't have any specific areas or laws for you, but hopefully that gives you some info to start with.

Last edited:
Have never hunted in Europe but have had German co-workers in the recent past that have. Keep in mind they were cops as was I, so cheap is the way to go. The ones I knew worked in general, close to the French border, just north of Switzerland. They all agreed that it was much cheaper for them to hunt in France than their own country even though they were German citizens. Since both countries were members of the EU, this fact probably made it cheaper than it would be for an American living there for work. Big hogs were their primary game to hunt. I don't have any specific areas or laws for you, but hopefully that gives you some info to start with.
Hey anything helps! Thank you!

Hey All!
So probably within two years I will be moving to France for work. It will be a huge culture shock for me but I am excited! I have been to a couple European countries before but I have never hunted outside of the states. Now here is where I need help, Anywhere I go I look for an excuse to get outside and continue my love of hunting. France seems pretty difficult with not only the hunting licenses but firearm accessibility. If anyone has info or advice on how to keep pursuing hunting whether that may be in France or a neighboring country that would be awesome! For the record I am sort of a cheap skate so the cheaper the better! I will most likely be near Marseille if that helps!

A friend and booking agent for Serapa raves about hunting in Spain. He has hunted there for some species of Ibex if I recall correctly. PM me if you'd like his contact details.

There are quite a few AH members that live in Europe. When they post jot their names down and PM them. I'm 100% sure they will help you out.

It´s very difficult to give you general information on hunting in Europe, as hunting differs between regions in the same country. It also depends on which kind of game you are after. Trophy hunting is very expensive.

And yes, you will need a license to own a gun, and a license to hunt. Gun and ammunition availability is not a problem, although more expensive than in the US.

It´s very difficult to give you general information on hunting in Europe, as hunting differs between regions in the same country. It also depends on which kind of game you are after. Trophy hunting is very expensive.

And yes, you will need a license to own a gun, and a license to hunt. Gun and ammunition availability is not a problem, although more expensive than in the US.
Nyati,
I see you're from Spain! So my main focus is to just get some ideas on where to even start. I will be living in France so any information/tips on hunting in France would be great! Other than that I have been looking for info on hunting in countries that border France since they are close ( in case hunting in France is too difficult or it is easier to hunt in a neighboring country). Was wondering if that was even an option or just better looking on paper than acting upon it.
I understand you need a license for firearms and hunting. I am not looking to trophy hunt, I am mainly just looking for opportunities to continue my love of being in he outdoors and hunting and if it takes me to a different country other than France, so be it. As for the type of game, truly anything. I love both bird/small game and big game hunting (anything that gets me outdoors hunting, hopefully with some good friends). Just looking for advice on where to start or any info since a lot of you guys live in Europe.
Thank you so much!

Just going off offers I've seen seems like there are some great deals the further east you go- Poland Romania etc. Stag mouflon chamois roe boar etc.

As I am sure you are aware, there is nowhere in Western Europe to simply "go hunting". Private lands are hunted by landowners, or more typically, lease holders who manage the shooting plan for the lease. The average hunter is envolved through ownership or friendship with one of these leases.

Some of these leases can be quite extensive and are managed for members (a syndicate in British parlance) where birds are raised and released for drive hunts. Commercial outfitters have bought into some of these to offer hunting opportunities for foreign hunters. These tend to be hunts for the very well heeled.

Some parks and state lands make tags available to commercial operations who then effectively resell the tag to their clients. For instance, Ibex hunting is often done this way.

Your situation will be a bit different as a resident. Temporary permits - hunting or weapon likely won't be an option. Someone here may know the specifics for residents of France, but a trip to the nearest consulate may be in order.

A final thought. You have two-years before you arrive in France. If you do not already speak it, spend some meaningful time becoming proficient in French. I have never hunted France, but I have been there many times. Perhaps more than any country in Europe, knowing a bit of the native language opens more doors than any other action you can take - particularly if being invited on a private boar hunt is an eventual goal. Study their hunting culture. For instance, in many places showing up in camouflage may not get you thrown out, but it will insure no repeat invitations.

Best of luck on what will be a wonderful adventure.

As I am sure you are aware, there is nowhere in Western Europe to simply "go hunting". Private lands are hunted by landowners, or more typically, lease holders who manage the shooting plan for the lease. The average hunter is envolved through ownership or friendship with one of these leases.

Some of these leases can be quite extensive and are managed for members (a syndicate in British parlance) where birds are raised and released for drive hunts. Commercial outfitters have bought into some of these to offer hunting opportunities for foreign hunters. These tend to be hunts for the very well heeled.

Some parks and state lands make tags available to commercial operations who then effectively resell the tag to their clients. For instance, Ibex hunting is often done this way.

Your situation will be a bit different as a resident. Temporary permits - hunting or weapon likely won't be an option. Someone here may know the specifics for residents of France, but a trip to the nearest consulate may be in order.

A final thought. You have two-years before you arrive in France. If you do not already speak it, spend some meaningful time becoming proficient in French. I have never hunted France, but I have been there many times. Perhaps more than any country in Europe, knowing a bit of the native language opens more doors than any other action you can take - particularly if being invited on a private boar hunt is an eventual goal. Study their hunting culture. For instance, in many places showing up in camouflage may not get you thrown out, but it will insure no repeat invitations.

Redleg,
Thank you very much for the information. From what I have found in my own research it looks like it will be a situation of getting to know someone to be able to hunt, which will be so different than being able to just go out and hunt like here in the states. Are there any countries that you can "just get out there" that are close to France that you know of? I will absolutely take your advice of checking in with the nearest consulate when I arrive to figure everything out.
Also, with what you mentioned on culture and language, I totally agree. Thankfully I have been to other countries enough in my life along with my background in Anthro that I know of not making that mistake as going in blind haha. I'm glad you mentioned the bit about camo, I've noticed that with most European hunting and thought it very interesting.
Thank you again for all the info and hopefully I will be showing you all pictures of my adventures in he future! ( And hopefully, eventually, the true dream of hunting in Africa haha) .

My comment was with regard to a French Consulate in the US well before you get there.

I know of nowhere in Europe where you can simply go hunting. North America is unique in that respect due to it's frontier past and emphasis on individual freedom (both in Canada and the US). In Europe, hunting was a privilege of the upper classes/royalty which has shaped both access to and attitudes about hunting into the modern era.

Hi Tulu,

here you can find information on hunting in Switzerland:
https://www.jagdschweiz.ch/pratica-di-caccia/jaeger-werden-it-it/

Unfortunately the website is "only" available in GERMAN, ITALIAN and FRENCH.
Here in Switzerland you have to pass a few exams (oral/written) and it takes 2 years! Then you are allowed to hunt some weeks a year :mad: in a specific Canton! So probably not an option for you.

Good luck!
Renzo

My comment was with regard to a French Consulate in the US well before you get there.

I know of nowhere in Europe where you can simply go hunting. North America is unique in that respect due to it's frontier past and emphasis on individual freedom (both in Canada and the US). In Europe, hunting was a privilege of the upper classes/royalty which has shaped both access to and attitudes about hunting into the modern era.
Ah! Even better idea. Thank you so much for all of your help!

Hi Tulu,

here you can find information on hunting in Switzerland:
https://www.jagdschweiz.ch/pratica-di-caccia/jaeger-werden-it-it/

Unfortunately the website is "only" available in GERMAN, ITALIAN and FRENCH.
Here in Switzerland you have to pass a few exams (oral/written) and it takes 2 years! Then you are allowed to hunt some weeks a year :mad: in a specific Canton! So probably not an option for you.

Good luck!
Renzo
Hey any information helps! This gives me options which is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

Tulu,
European hunting does not exist.
We have 47 countries here with different laws .................and different laws in one country.
It depends so often by the single counties and provinces.
Your place Marseille is far from every border.
Lots of hunting agencies are there,which are offering hunt in France.
Do you speak French fluently ?
When not , talking on eye level is not possible, when you need privat contacts and you use the English language.
Foxi

Last edited:
Tulu,
European hunting does not exist.
We have 47 countries here with different laws .................
Your place Marseille is far from every border.
Lots of hunting agencies are there,which are offering hunt in France.
Do you speak French fluently ?
When not , talking on eye level is not possible, when you need privat contacts and you use the English language.
Foxi
Thanks for the info! I realized every country has different laws, hence seeing what info I can get from you all on different options. You said there are plenty of agencies in France. Do you have any suggestions of trusted agencies?

one of your first steps should be, get in conatct with Oncfs.
They have contacts to everybody and Im sure they can help you when you are starting in France.
Two years is a lot of time.

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj4kNfKlfrVAhUKsBQKHeXkDB0QFggmMAA&url=http://www.oncfs.gouv.fr/Connaitre-l-Office-ru17/French-national-agency-for-wildlife-ar68&usg=AFQjCNE9thvbNYZZK36MU6zUieCFfDzhJg

Regards
Foxi
Perfect! Thank you so much for the information.

I would like to add on to a part of Red Leg's post. I also have been to France maybe 8 or 9 times, but never hunting. I have a Lonely Planet pocket size French language book designed for tourists. Start studying it several months before you go, a little each day. It will work wonders for talking/dealing with the French people, and yes even in Paris. Just start at the beginning with what I call the niceties! It is actually pretty easy to start. Then move up to the more difficult sections. More times than not in my experience, if you start the conversation in French and they see you are having trouble, they will start speaking English. All of my French contacts through the years have been nothing but positive! By the way, there are lots of gun shops in Paris for doubles and bolt guns for you to window shop....you just can't buy anything...as far as I know. Google them for locations!

Hey All!

Drop me a PM if you wish. Scotland is a good option with Reds, Roes, lots of bird shooting...
Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg