NAPHA distances itself from rhino cow hunter

.......i remember in the mid/early 1990`s around lusulu in zim being told there were 2 or 3 black rhino and if you bumped one which we did, you basically gapped it or found a tree!! and under no circumstances could you shoot, as the shit you would get into was not pleasant...........

Hunting in a reserve with several Black Rhino sneaking around we were told something simple by the PH.
You get behind me, and if I have to shoot it there will be powder burns on its head. Otherwise, under no circumstance will any of them be shot.

Along with some other story's that i have read from hunter(s) that hunted with them in the past 3 years in Namibia, i would have to strongly agree with you...
Then tell me the stories , so I get more Input for my litigation and for NAPHA.

Hunting in a reserve with several Black Rhino sneaking around we were told something simple by the PH.
You get behind me, and if I have to shoot it there will be powder burns on its head. Otherwise, under no circumstance will any of them be shot.

As I said, it was not a Charge, it was because the longer horn!!!

Also: Try to get the judges to find out about the real case:

I am sure the sandwich-guy had a Video made.......
May be, some People do not want to find the truth......?

Who shot, which angle, where was the PH?
T&C's only big game PH with a NAMIBIA-PH BIG GAME license is Abiliu Hihuilepo (1953 ),
he must have been there, because Peter Thormählen does not have a BIG GAME PH - LICENCE in Namibia,
besides, it seems, he cannot even tell apart a Rhino Bull track from a Rhino Lady track???

Besides, he was not able to show me my Black Rhino Bull ( "VICTOR") in Mauricedale Game Farm (of John and Richard HUME), Malalane,Mpumalanga,South Africa, in March this year in six days of tracking, including a herd of Scouts!
Afterwards, it got clear to me, that he just wanted to Lure me back to SA for a second time, to be able to sell me some more animals.
I let you know more about this side Story later. ( Did you ever get an offer for a big croc on a farm for 30.000$, when the farmer charges already a very high Price of 14.000$ ???)

It is just a big fraud in Namibia that the horns of a Rhino cow being shot like this without Permit completely against the laws, are free for Export to any Country in the world. .
Fish and wildlife of the USA are sleeping?????

Why ban IVORY from elephants and allow Import of pregnant female Rhino cow horns????????
No pun intended.....
Namibia must be the only Country, which allows to Export trophies from illegaly shot animals, which are Close to be extinct, if everybody goes arround and shoots pregant Rhino-Cows just because it has a longer horn.---- or do you all know other countries, which allow this?
If this is right and exsisting law,I allways would be "attact" + "charged" by animals with enormous trophies , which are not allowed to be shot!!!

If I get all the Facts about Thormählen , where he acted against the law or against international hunting ethics, I will do my best to save all hunters on this earth to get into Problems with this guy!

As I said, it was not a Charge, it was because the longer horn!!!

Just a general comment mate. That is actually supportive. Any reserve that is protecting Rhino the PH knows to avoid the Rhino at all cost.
It is not hard to do.

By the way Chris. Welcome to AH.
Introduce yourself when you get a moment.!!

Along with some other story's that i have read from hunter(s) that hunted with them in the past 3 years in Namibia, i would have to strongly agree with you...
So, start telling me: is it in the same direction like my experiences wit T&C???

Welcome Chris W. to AH....

You have a flare and style is will say...

I sent you a PM...

Welcome to AH Chris. Nice bunch of fellow hunters on here.
Sorry to see that you have obviously had a bad trip with T&C. All the fellows here would surely like to hear more on why you have such a strong dislike in them. Pretty sure no one here is the "enemy", we all just like to get all the pieces of the puzzle to fit the total picture.
Once again, welcome to AH:S Welcome:

Hi Brickburn,
what do you want to know?

Chris, you have obviously had some type of horrific encounter and to put it mildly, you appear to be really pissed off. :S Rant:

I am about the most vociferous and tenacious advocate for transparency and fair dealings you could imagine.
I am a moderator on AH and conduct myself fairly with pretty well everyone.
I don't like crooked, sly or shady PH's, Outfitters, Agents, or hunters from anywhere in the world.

I try to give people a fair shake before I hang them out to dry.
(read some of my reports and posts you'll get an idea)
So, to that end; What's the story from your side?

That's what hunt reports are for. I welcome them. I also push people to share their pictures of the adventure.
So, share away. I'm ready to read.

And: Do I know, on which side are you???

I'm not aligned with anyone, if that's what your asking. Would not know any of the players if they walked up to me and said hello.

Some past information…

Questions over Namibian rhino hunt
29 JUN 2012 John Grobler / Mail & Guardian Online

Namibian conservation circles are outraged over the rhino-hunting activities of South African big-game hunter Peter Thormählen after he was allowed to hunt a black rhino with a Russian client last month on a permit that had expired last year.

Under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (Cites) terms agreed to in 2009, Namibia and South Africa were allowed five black rhino trophy hunts every year until 2011 on condition that it be done on a sustainable basis.

With 251 rhinos poached so far this year in South Africa, the expectation is that rhino hunting, especially that of the critically endangered black rhino, will be shut down at the next Cites conference later this year.

This has raised fears that Namibia’s black rhino population, especially its endemic desert black rhinos, may be at risk as operators compete for what could possibly the last trophies of their kind available to the lucrative sports hunting industry.

The rights to hunt three black rhinos were auctioned off for amounts of up to R1.9-million at the last auction, two of which were acquired by Thormählen & Cochran Safaris. The firm also holds rights to hunt a white rhino, its lawyer confirmed.

Insolvent
The safari outfit is owned by Peter Thormählen, a former Kimberley farmer now living in Nelspruit. It was, however, registered in 2006 in the name of one of his employees, a young Namibian professional hunter named Phillip Fourie.

Thormählen, originally from the Free State but based in Mpumalanga when not on safari in Namibia, Botswana or Cameroon, was declared insolvent in 1999 by the Bloemfontein High Court.

Using Fourie as a proxy allowed him to circumvent restrictions on non-Namibian companies obtaining hunting concessions and work around a legal preclusion against operating a company in his own name before a period of 10 years had elapsed.

Namibian ministry of environment and tourism officials have expressed alarm that an exception was made for Thormählen & Cochran Safaris to have its permit extended, arguing that if it was not used in the hunting season for which it was granted, it should be auctioned off again.

But Thormählen’s legal representative said that after a previous hunt for a black rhino in the Waterberg Plateau Park had led to a disappointed client threatening a lawsuit, a settlement was reached with the ministry that included the shooting of the second black rhino bull in the Mangetti Reserve in early May.

Globetrotting
What has unnerved the local rhino lobby even more is that the safari outfit has a secret partner in the person of globetrotting Namibian deputy trade and industry minister Tjekero Tweya, who has owned 40% of it since July 2008 through a company called Wedhapo Investments, previously known as Starting Right Investments Ninety Nine.

Neither Thormählen nor Tweya responded to questions forwarded to their offices. Thormählen is believed to be hunting in northern Botswana, whereas Tweya was in Canada on business.

An investigation into Thormählen & Cochran Safaris has further brought to light that Wedhapo also owns a 40% share in a hunting farm in northwestern Namibia, close to communal areas frequented by rhinos breaking out of the Etosha Pans in search of water and pasture.

Although Tweya’s name does not appear anywhere on the Wedhapo paperwork that could be traced, former farm workers from Kudusberg No 45 said that he was a regular visitor to the hunting retreat.

The workers also said the other two directors of Wedhapo, Hieronimus Witbooi and Stephanus Witbooi, both believed to be former teachers, had never been seen at the farm.

Tweya’s name is also listed as the company’s contact person in the archival files of previous auditors PricewaterhouseCoopers, including his direct line to his previous office as deputy finance minister.

Fair game
Inquiries established that the auditors resigned in 2009 because Tweya repeatedly failed to settle its bill. Wedhapo appears to be dormant, even though it owns assets conservatively estimated at between R8-million and R10-million.

With Thormählen & Cochran Safaris now consolidating its holdings – it is buying out the other owners of Kudusberg – observers fear for the future conservation of the many rare species, including desert-adapted black rhino, elephant and lions in this still wild corner of Namibia.

The outfit was last year accused of hunting a collared black-maned lion known as Leonardo, one of only about 900 noted for their distinctive behavioural characteristics setting them apart from other lions in Etosha.

The collar, later recovered under murky circumstances, suggested that the lion was killed at about 4am. Local hunting regulations prohibit the shooting of lion after dark or before sunrise.

No response could be obtained from Thormählen & Cochran Safaris in this respect, but its website’s trophy room section displays a picture of a magnificent lion shot by United States hunter Joe Russel that is believed to be Leonardo.

All these species, including the lion, appear to be fair game for the outfit. Its website offers hunts in the area for “desert lion, desert leopard, desert elephant [and] black rhino”.

Source: http://mg.co.za/article/2012-06-28-questions-over-namibian-rhino-hunt

Last edited:
Does not paint a pretty picture of T&C:P Devil: Neither of the hunting industry as a whole, stories like these that give all hunters a bad reputation:mad:

:E Thinking:Where there is smoke there is usually a fire

Some past information…

Questions over Namibian rhino hunt
29 JUN 2012 John Grobler / Mail & Guardian Online
Namibian conservation circles are outraged over the rhino-hunting activities of South African big-game hunter Peter Thormählen after he was allowed to hunt a black rhino with a Russian client last month on a permit that had expired last year.
Source: http://mg.co.za/article/2012-06-28-questions-over-namibian-rhino-hunt

Where I live hunting without a license is POACHING!

One of the past hunters comments reported in Bloomberg:

Hunting Client
Fred Leonard, who once had a Michigan business designing plastic parts for the auto industry, is a typical client. .......... of Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Leonard bemoans the common confusion of hunters with poachers. The difference, he says, is that hunters care about the environment -- and the law.

Professional Hunter
Hume had worked with Thormahlen and picked him to run the hunt.
“Professional hunters are not the most honest guys in the world,” Hume says. .............

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...an-endangered-rhino-may-save-the-species.html

I am waiting on the hunters who have hunted with them for lion to pop in for their 1st hand knowledge of T & C operations.

And Brickburn Poaching is right up their.

I am just surprised that they are allowed in DSC and SCI.

I do think that money funded to the Namibian politicians has something to do with this.

NAPHA and NAU are lobbying to address Stock and Game theft. Mar 2014.

How do you discourage poaching when the maximum penalty is not even equal to the day rate for one day of Plains game hunting.

"In the case of game theft there is a choice of penalties. In the case of protected game the maximum penalty for theft is N$4 000 or imprisonment of not more than four years and for huntable game the maximum is N$2 000 or two years imprisonment, which is probably not enough to discourage game thieves. The trophy value of huntable game is in most cases much higher than the penalties." .....

"It became apparent from the open discussions that farmers are unhappy with the existing legal penalty structure for theft of protected and exotic game in particular, since it is not only depriving them and the country of potential income of millions of dollars annually, but also maintain that the current fines for stealing exotic game do not reflect the true value of the game trophy hunting industry that generates in excess of N$140 million in added value annually, according to a study done some years ago."

Then the trophy fee on more exotic species is 8 to 20 times the fine for poaching them. No matter what, the Poacher can make money.
How many of you have managed that kind of return on investment?

Advocate Danie Smal of the Prosecutor-General’s Office said ....... the penalties for elephant and rhino poaching were revised in 1986 and 1988 respectively, and now stand at N$200 000 per head of animal. He agreed that fines for some game and exotic game are not in line with what the animals are worth to farmers and the country as a whole in terms of added value,......

http://www.newera.com.na/2014/03/06/nau-napha-target-livestock-game-thieves/

I suspect the client panicked and started shooting.
Thats probably exactly what happened.

images.jpeg

I saw this over the same concession.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg