www.travelexpressagency.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
NAMIBIA to open for tourism September 1! Highlights as follows, full details at the link below.
*Travelers may only enter into (WDH) Hosea Kutako International Airport
*Negative COVID test not more than 72 hours old will be required to board
*Health questionnaire and full travel itinerary must be submitted online or at the airport
*Health insurance/ travel insurance required
*Travelers must go directly to their overnight establishment and stay 7 days minimum (no stopover hotels, establishments must be registered)
*COVID tests must be administered on day 5 of seclusion at their first destination

118387256_3801439273203647_942749176992363789_n.png

Even though I am not planning on a trip to Namibia anytime soon, this sounds like a PITA to go at this time. The only way I can see that a trip there now makes sense is if you had family or close friends there that you could visit in addition to a hunt.

Even though I am not planning on a trip to Namibia anytime soon, this sounds like a PITA to go at this time. The only way I can see that a trip there now makes sense is if you had family or close friends there that you could visit in addition to a hunt.

I was actually thinking the same thing. The other thread about Zim opening had me thinking how inconvenient is that? Most of us cant quarantine in a foreign country for a week much less more time.

“In the mean time the government on Tuesday scrapped the requirement that visitors go into a forced 8 day quarantine at approved Quarantine Centers, but those who test negative on PCR test on arrival will now go into voluntary home isolation for 21 days. In our case that will mean isolation in camp.”

Who would do this??

I assume isolation in camp includes hunting?

I assume isolation in camp includes hunting?

I would hope so. It is stated in the the Zim opening thread.

Anyone know if there will be flights starting soon? If I can get there by Sept 19-22 or there about, I can still get my hunt done for this year.

So @MMAL can probably answer this better than me or Lori @TRAVEL EXPRESS, but I think that even tho the border is open on September 1st now, flights don’t start going there until October 1st.

I’m looking at going around 17-31 October for Mr Spots. There is a few different locations not extremely far from Windhoek where I’ll be hunting, making the drive back and forth on Day 5 to do my PCR test very doable.

If you have further questions, PM as I can likely answer more questions because believe me, I’ve been doing my due diligence finding out all the info from the folks there I’ll be hunting with.

I will be flying Qatar Airways, which has a one stop route out of the US to Doha, Qatar and then down to Windhoek, thus bypassing JoBurg (for which at this time and likely for sometime will be closed)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks whitetail. Not sure I can make October work as I have other commitments. Would like to get my 10 day hunt done by the first few days in October. Have been in contact with my PH and my travel agent. Hoping a viable option materializes next week to get there a little sooner. Good luck on your hunt!

Thanks whitetail. Not sure I can make October work as I have other commitments. Would like to get my 10 day hunt done by the first few days in October. Have been in contact with my PH and my travel agent. Hoping a viable option materializes next week to get there a little sooner. Good luck on your hunt!

Yes hopefully it does! The big problem is is that as an American – we cannot fly through Europe because you can’t even stop on a layover through any of the Europe airports being an American citizen coming from the USA right now. And at this point, I would have no idea when they plan on changing that before the new year. I’m not sure if emirates airlines would be like Qatar, but you may check them out as well. I just know that at this point, no airline is flying into Namibia until October 1 even though their borders are open September 1. But again, as always because it’s Africa, things may change literally overnight. That is why I’m not going to book with Lori @TRAVEL EXPRESS until likely around the 15th but no later than 21 September for the hunting dates I have in October. I just want to make sure things are fairly stable and don’t change but even then, it’s still a risk that I’m going to have to take. Leopard is one of the final animals of the dangerous seven that I have on my to do bucket list and per many of the outfitters at the January and February shows this past year, everyone is getting very very nervous about the US Fish and wildlife potentially shutting down the import of leopard into the US. Apparently they had about the same nervousness as they did just a year or two before the lion and elephant situation. I was planning on rescheduling to next May but if in fact the border opened sooner, I was going to try to get it in this year. We originally thought the middle of November a week ago at this time but since it’s now open 1 September, we are going to go for October. And hopefully I don’t stir up a big debate about the importation of leopard on this post ha ha! I would imagine it will be safe for a while but you never know if Kamala Harris becomes president- because we all know that sleepy Joe will not sit behind the oval office desk for long if in fact he wins in November. And with the crazy progressive liberal agenda, I can just see the anti-‘s shutting down leopard importation. Just my two cents though. So I appreciate the good luck and hopefully you are able to get this done as well!

Thanks for the info, whitetail. Had to push my Zim hunt to next year and it would be nice f I could get Namibia done this year.

Doesn’t sound at all difficult to me, assuming you are going to be doing a ranch hunt. Fly in, get picked up at the airport, go to you destination,have a nice time hunting. Just like usual. If you are heading to the Caprivi or somewhere else remote, it would likely present significant obstacles

Reactions: WAB
Looks like you need to get repeat COVID test day 5 after arriving. Wonder what happens if that turns up positive? Forced quarantine at facility of govt choosing or do you stay out at hunting camp? Not interested in getting stuck over there for an extended period of time beyond my hunt.

So Qatar flights start oct1st. I read Ethiopia airlines start sept 18th. I land oct 1st, and then straight into a car for a @12-14 hour ride to the caprivi. I’m actually looking forward to it considering I have been locked in since March. (Damn New Jersey). The camp in the caprivi is registering as a “quarantine” facility and there is medical clinic close for the test of need be. My outfitter is unsure if that is going through if you plan to stay at the same location. I think if you want to change locations or travel then you need another test. Don’t take any of this as absolute fact as I believe that Namibia has not come out with final guidance on every issue.

As I told whitetail separately, if you don’t see me posting on this site it is because I am hunting and enjoying the safari. If you do hear from me prior to the 16th it will be because something new occurred and I am not hunting. Good luck all.

I booked my flights today with Lori @TRAVEL EXPRESS (they’re awesome BTW) and it certainly the best deal on flights I’ve had to Africa! Flying Qatar leaving October 18 and getting home November 1. Super excited!! I then purchased travel insurance thru @GLOBAL rescue (and its insurance affiliate). And of course, will re-up my Global Rescue membership beginning 3 days before departing. Highly recommend Global Rescue.

Per the rules, I will have to get the PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to my departure (flying out of my hometown in connection to Dallas). I believe they will take temperature on arrival to Windhoek. I heard yesterday as well that they are thinking of getting rid of the PCR test on day 5 of the hunt. But that is not certain.
I’m going after the ever elusive Mr Spots. Fingers crossed that there will be no interruptions and everything goes as planned (they will begin pre-baiting 1 month prior to my arrival).

Yes hopefully it does! The big problem is is that as an American – we cannot fly through Europe because you can’t even stop on a layover through any of the Europe airports being an American citizen coming from the USA right now. And at this point, I would have no idea when they plan on changing that before the new year. I’m not sure if emirates airlines would be like Qatar, but you may check them out as well. I just know that at this point, no airline is flying into Namibia until October 1 even though their borders are open September 1. But again, as always because it’s Africa, things may change literally overnight. That is why I’m not going to book with Lori @TRAVEL EXPRESS until likely around the 15th but no later than 21 September for the hunting dates I have in October. I just want to make sure things are fairly stable and don’t change but even then, it’s still a risk that I’m going to have to take. Leopard is one of the final animals of the dangerous seven that I have on my to do bucket list and per many of the outfitters at the January and February shows this past year, everyone is getting very very nervous about the US Fish and wildlife potentially shutting down the import of leopard into the US. Apparently they had about the same nervousness as they did just a year or two before the lion and elephant situation. I was planning on rescheduling to next May but if in fact the border opened sooner, I was going to try to get it in this year. We originally thought the middle of November a week ago at this time but since it’s now open 1 September, we are going to go for October. And hopefully I don’t stir up a big debate about the importation of leopard on this post ha ha! I would imagine it will be safe for a while but you never know if Kamala Harris becomes president- because we all know that sleepy Joe will not sit behind the oval office desk for long if in fact he wins in November. And with the crazy progressive liberal agenda, I can just see the anti-‘s shutting down leopard importation. Just my two cents though. So I appreciate the good luck and hopefully you are able to get this done as well!
@whitetail
Y'all ought think yourself lucky we are still banned from flying international from Australia and because of some idiots Can't even leave my home state. Fortunately it's one of the bigger states.
Bob

@whitetail
Y'all ought think yourself lucky we are still banned from flying international from Australia and because of some idiots Can't even leave my home state. Fortunately it's one of the bigger states.
Bob

Ugh! How long do you think your travel ban will last? Until 2021? I’m sorry to hear that- hope and pray it opens up soon for you and that you’ll be able to get some international hunting in. I fear that around my hometown, the fuse has been lit and the virus is going to explode in numbers- especially given the 3 day Labor Day weekend...

Ugh! How long do you think your travel ban will last? Until 2021? I’m sorry to hear that- hope and pray it opens up soon for you and that you’ll be able to get some international hunting in. I fear that around my hometown, the fuse has been lit and the virus is going to explode in numbers- especially given the 3 day Labor Day weekend...
@ whitetail
Hopefully it won't expolde on you.
Where is your home town.
A mate and I had to travel over 400mile round trip just to go to the range but hey you have to go a long way to beat the smell of gunpowder in the morning.
Bob.

UPDATE: Namibia has removed the 7 day quarantine for visitors!

@ whitetail
Hopefully it won't expolde on you.
Where is your home town.
A mate and I had to travel over 400mile round trip just to go to the range but hey you have to go a long way to beat the smell of gunpowder in the morning.
Bob.

400 miles to go to the range???? I can’t even conceive of that! My range is 100 yards from my reloading bench!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,