Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
  1. After leaving RSA we flew to Namibia to hunt for 8 days. Johann our PH picked us up in Windhoek. We stayed at Dawid Muller ranch to hunt Mountain Zebra. This is a free range hunt with no high fences. Mountain Zebra was the animal I was most worried about getting on my list. I heard they were tough and hard to get in close range. I guess I am a lucky person because we spotted several herds and it was easy to get into range of them because of the mountainous terrain. I made around a 100 yard shot right at the sargent stripes. We found a big blood trail and found him about another 100 yards around the hill. I sure I hit his heart. We set in for warthog that afternoon with no luck and decided to head south to Goedehoop.
    SAM_0436.JPG

Great Zebra!!!

And what a back drop.... It never ceases to amaze me how much parts of Africa and the Texas Hill Country look alike.

We arrived at Geodehoop at dark and went to our rooms for a good nights sleep because in the morning we were going after Eland. Johann woke us up early and we headed for the bush. Geodehoop is in the Kalahari and it is very flat and sandy. We found a herd and followed them around for most of the day. Never really getting close enough for a shot. I decided the next day to take my 300 ruger instead of the 375 ruger because it only had a 1x3 scope on it and it looked like I was going to have to take a little longer shot. The second day we got on the same herd and decided to ditch the truck earlier as we felt it was spooking them. After following them for about a mile we spotted them. I never seem so many horns. Finally Johann got me on the big bull. I had my 300 in the crotch of a tree and was real steady. The eland finally gave me a quartering shot and I toke the shot. He did'nt go 5 steps and was down for the count. The 180gr. nosler partition went through the front part of the stomach and smashed into his far shoulder. I had my eland. On the way back to the skinning place I also picked up a Steenbuck. I got the big and small all in one day.

IMG_2447.JPG
IMG_2436.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That afternoon we decided to go back out and look for a waterbuck. We got on a group and it was the same as with the eland. We followed and followed them and then finally the bull broke from the herd and we lost him when it became dark. So back out the next morning and we got on another herd. This one actually had a nicer bull and after following them for awhile I got a shot. I drop him in his tracks and was surprised I hit him in the neck. I thought maybe my scope was off but we checked the rifle and it was on. I guess I was lucky or aimed higher than I thought. Back to camp for a good meal and a few beers. We would go to another area for black wildebeest the next day.
IMG_2467.JPG

Wow, that waterbuck is excellent, stunning specimen.

We woke up early and after a great breakfast we headed for the other area for black wildebeest. On the way we seen alot of game and it was a fun ride. We were met there by the ranch owner and went out to find a wildebeest. We found a herd with a nice bull. The landowner said he had never seen him before. After waiting for them crazy things to make up their minds on what they are going to do. I finally got a shot and put him down with a good lung shoulder shot. So all I had left on my list was a warthog and we were going to have to go back north of Windhoek to get him. So the next day we chased duiker around with no luck and then headed north
IMG_2493.JPG

We finally got to the place north of Windhoek to hunt Warthog it was getting around mid afternoon and I was wondering if there would be enough time. When we arrived there I realized that the place was actually infested with warthogs. We must of seen about 20 before we got to the ranch house. We picked up a tracker and went out to set on a waterhole. We didn't get far when we spotted a boar in the bushes and with a short stalk I had my pig. I would have love to have another day to hang out there looking for a giant but had a flight to catch back to the states. We had a great time even with Anita's close encounter with the puff adder. She got to tour and shop a little and visit with Johann energetic wife Elfle. It was a 20 day trip and we toured both RSA and Namibia. I felt if you bought the plan ticket you might as well spend the time. Also I want to thank Lori of Travel Express for booking out flights. Everything went well except for the no weapons to Richards Bay. We were sent to Durbin with no extra cost and our RSA PH picke us up there. We really had a great time. Now maybe a Cape Buffalo.
116.JPG

Last edited:
Iwaters,

Thank you for posting details of your safari.
Likewise, your photos are excellent and I appreciated them.
Namibia seems under rated sometimes as a DG hunting destination (Caprivi Strip) as well as a non-hunting related travel destination.
I loved the part of it I experienced (south of Ketmanshoop) and perhaps some day will be able to try the Caprivi.

Regards,
Velo Dog

PS:
What did you think of the various beers during your visit?
I was introduced to Windhoek Lager while in Namibia but I always ask for in South Africa as well.

I also liked the Windhoek Lager and that is what I drank in RSA also when I could get it. Castle wasn't bad. But here at home I make my own.

I also liked the Windhoek Lager and that is what I drank in RSA also when I could get it. Castle wasn't bad. But here at home I make my own.

Perfecto.

Great Report thanks for sharing, the pics are awesome Congrats!

Good trophies there.

Glad you had a great hunt.

Congrats for a great hunt Iwaters, and very nice trophies, I love your eland !

When you go back for your buff, ask for a Castle Stout, great beer.

Thanks for sharing.

When you go back for your buff, ask for a Castle Stout, great beer.

Couldn't agree more tried the Castle Stout this last trip great beer!

I'm with you. If you are going to ride in that plane for that long you better make it worth while.

You got to see a lot of ground and different properties.

Celebrate your luck on that Mtn. Zebra, lots of others chase them for a long bloody time.

Thanks for sharing your report.

what a trip lwaters , thanks for reports and photos ,
and the beer reports , usually over looked by most ..........
love that waterbuck ,and steenbok,
enjoy the home brew, my wife has just bottled her second ,batch for me .

By issuing to us enough brain sparks that we are able to brew our own beer, the Almighty has proven that he cares about us and wants us to be happy.

Sounds like there a few home brewers here Nothing like making your own.

We woke up early and after a great breakfast we headed for the other area for black wildebeest. On the way we seen alot of game and it was a fun ride. We were met there by the ranch owner and went out to find a wildebeest. We found a herd with a nice bull. The landowner said he had never seen him before. After waiting for them crazy things to make up their minds on what they are going to do. I finally got a shot and put him down with a good lung shoulder shot. So all I had left on my list was a warthog and we were going to have to go back north of Windhoek to get him. So the next day we chased duiker around with no luck and then headed northView attachment 28470

I enjoyed just watching these guys do their thing. There is never a dull moment watching black wildebeest. Congratulations! Great Story!(y)

Great Zebra!!!

And what a back drop.... It never ceases to amaze me how much parts of Africa and the Texas Hill Country look alike.

I wonder if bluebonnets will grow there?
Namibia is a beautiful country!(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber