NAMIBIA: Off To Namibia

Best of luck!!! Hope it goes well. The US Fish & Wildlife is the 2nd most powerful anti hunting organization in the world in my opinion.

Well a quick update folks. My import agent applied for my US import permit with USF&W on 17 August. This week I received an email from someone at USF&W asking for skull measurements of my cat. I think this is at least good news on this side of the ocean. I have contacted the outfitter and the taxidermist…..only the outfitter has replied promising to assist in getting the measurements. As we learn everything in that part of the world shuts down this time of year. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me that all moves along well.

Best of luck! My submission to approval was around 6 months, which I heard was about normal.

1640307303081.png

Best of luck! My submission to approval was around 6 months, which I heard was about normal.
I hope that is what I experience. Thanks for the info.

I hope your application goes smoothly. A full body mount of your Leopard will pare nicely alongside that of your Lion.

I hope your application goes smoothly. A full body mount of your Leopard will pare nicely alongside that of your Lion.
Thank you Art…..that’s the plan

I went to Namibia in Sep. and will tell anyone who will listen about it. I've shown a lot of people your leopard when I talk about Africa and Namibia. I just can't get over the size of it.

Congrats

I went to Namibia in Sep. and will tell anyone who will listen about it. I've shown a lot of people your leopard when I talk about Africa and Namibia. I just can't get over the size of it.

Congrats
Thank you sir. He really was a great animal.

Can you leave the airport in Paris? Thinking about our trip to Namibia in July, would be great to break up the long flight! Haven't booked air yet. Mike.

Can you leave the airport in Paris? Thinking about our trip to Namibia in July, would be great to break up the long flight! Haven't booked air yet. Mike.
When I went to Namibia in 2014 I had a 15 hour layover in Paris. We left the airport by train and spent the day sightseeing. Now being the time of Covid I wouldn’t confidently say.

While I did not you can leave if you like.

Well folks once again “Africa Time” strikes. I have been trying to get the skull measurements since 20 December. Was informed yesterday that things don’t open back up in Namibia until Monday.

Just caught up to your story, Charlie. Congratulations on a monster leopard! My 2017 leopard hunt in Zim was one of the most exciting experiences of my life, but it is certainly a lot of effort and and matching wits with the cat.

Update folks. I did get the measurements that were given to the Namibia government folks and I supplied those two USF&W. I waited a couple of weeks and emailed the person who had requested those measurements and she actually replied back to me and reported that my application was submitted for final review…..whatever that means.
My local SCI Chapter official measured says that if those reported are accurate my leopard will make SCI Gold By over an inch. I sure hope that’s the way things work out.
last but not least I have decided on the mount that I want done so I am anxious to get the skull and hide into the states.

Congrats on your monster leopard! Not sure where to post my question, and as things are constantly changing, searching for answers. On the way home from Namibia on August 4, 2022, we have a 7-1/2 hour layover in Johannesburg before departing for Atlanta (then another 7-1/2 hours more waiting in Atlanta to depart for Des Moines; brutal).
I understand we can leave the Jo'berg airport, then check back in; we arrive in Jo'berg from Windhoek at 3:30 PM, don't depart for Atlanta until 11:00 PM.
Is that enough time to leave the airport, have dinner somewhere in Jo'berg, and get back through customs for our 11;00 PM flight?
If so, any recommendations where to go for dinner or what to do to kill time?
Thanks! Mike Wachtel, Lacona, Iowa

Wednesday I tried out the guns available for me to use and at first settled on a Remington 300 WSM to hunt bait and plains game but after a misfire on a follow up shot on warthog I switched over to a 9.3 x 62. All the baits were up and had not been visited in about 10 days.
View attachment 406722
Got this nice Steenbuck 5+ inches and 1 and 7/8 inch bases Wednesday afternoon at 85 yards off hand.
Okay that is impressive making an off hand shot at 85 yards! My hasty sling is helping but it’s hard to do especially as small an animal as the Steenbuck

Congrats on your monster leopard! Not sure where to post my question, and as things are constantly changing, searching for answers. On the way home from Namibia on August 4, 2022, we have a 7-1/2 hour layover in Johannesburg before departing for Atlanta (then another 7-1/2 hours more waiting in Atlanta to depart for Des Moines; brutal).
I understand we can leave the Jo'berg airport, then check back in; we arrive in Jo'berg from Windhoek at 3:30 PM, don't depart for Atlanta until 11:00 PM.
Is that enough time to leave the airport, have dinner somewhere in Jo'berg, and get back through customs for our 11;00 PM flight?
Yes it is possible but unless you know someone there not advisable

Okay that is impressive making an off hand shot at 85 yards! My hasty sling is helping but it’s hard to do especially as small an animal as the Steenbuck
Probably more luck than skill.

First think through the math. 7.5 hours layover on your ticket does not mean you have anywhere near that much time available. It will help if your guns and luggage are checked through. But if you need to claim your guns and recheck, even your baggage, you need fully half that time. I've not traveled to Nabia but you may need to go through Immigration/Customs. Then if you want to go eat, you do not have any reasonable amount of time to really leave the airport and it is NOT advisable to just grab a cab in Joburg. If you really want to leave the airport, get Afton House or Africa Sky or one of Henry Durhiem's guys to take you. But reconsider the time you have available.

If you want to leave the secure area with your carry on and go to the very adequate Food Court, you can get a decent meal for airport food. I like the Ocean Basket, especially the prawns and kingklip;)

There is a hotel attached if you want to grab a room for a shower or quick nap. May even be an airport or airline lounge?

As for Atlanta, you do need to go through Immigration and Customs, heck claiming your gun can take a while. I've seen a couple wierd situations.
They have a glass cage/room they put your guns in. Then the appointed employee goes in to get them and bring them out to walk you to Customs to check your paperwork and clear them back into the county. I had that guy lock himself into that glass cage! The look on his face when he realized the door locked behind him and didn't have a key. It took all of half an hour to get a guy with a key.
Then another time a couple of very politically correct looking fellows drew attention of the Customs agents right before it was my turn. Well stories didn't seem to be matching up. So these two ass clowns get themselves zip tied and typical of any group of employees given the latitude, every agen has to come poke their nose in to see what's up. So the whole process shuts down and every other "customer" is left waiting with several missing their connections.

No, that is not too much time for those two particular stops. Hopefully you have tons of time to waste because everything goes smoothly. In that case, in Atlanta at least, go to the Delta Lounge and relax there;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg