AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Houston Safari Club, SCI,NRA
Hunted
Alaska, Mexico, Inuvik NWT, Canada, Yukon, BC, Argentina, Limpopo, SA,Namibia, Africa
I was wondering how far in advance I should email my application (POL 573) to the Namibia Police at Hosea Airport for permit for guns imports? Besides the Application,Passport (first page), Invitation Letter & 4457...anything else I must include?

One more Question...I am flying Qatar Airlines. On container of locked ammunition in check baggage do they weigh just the ammunition or container included?

I usually email my gun permit 2weeks before I leave and it’s always been fast and easy on my arrival.

It’s been a few years, 2018, since I went. It was the first year of email applications. what you stated was all I needed. I flew out of Johannesburg. Never did they weigh the ammo. All they did was check serial numbers of the rifles. Didn’t even count rounds.
Leaving Windhoek, I had to remove the ammo case from my checked bag and check it separately. I then had to take my rifles to be checked for serial numbers.

You don't have to do anything ahead of time for Namibia. Just have the form filled out and you can do everything at the counter. Thankfully it is not South Africa!

Does anyone know the rules on Qatar Airlines on ammunition. I know the rule of 11 lbs. My question is the 11 lbs including the locked container or just the weight of the ammunition?

The 5Kg or 11 lbs question, does it include case & locks weight comes up a lot. The wording from Qatar's website does not clearly answer the question, thus leaving it open for interpretation. Very frustrating. I would err on the side of caution and make sure the total weight of container, locks and ammo is 11 lbs or less.

I am travel to Zam later this year. Three boxes (60 rounds) of 404J in a pelican 1200 with locks gets me to 11 lbs. There is room for a 4th box, but will exceed the weight limit.

1678367922128.png

The phrase Div. 1.4S, UN 0012 or UN 0014 denotes the categories of ammunition that the IATA permits to be carried on passenger flights. In simple terms, each passenger may carry up to 5 kg of weapons cartridges of less than 19.1 mm caliber being either blanks or with solid projectiles, in their checked baggage.

Does anyone know the rules on Qatar Airlines on ammunition. I know the rule of 11 lbs. My question is the 11 lbs including the locked container or just the weight of the ammunition?
@TRAVEL EXPRESS told me in 2021 it was the weight of the ammo only and requested the weight of the ammo(only) ahead of time. My ammo (80 rounds of 30-06), ammo box, plus locks and spare locks was under 11 pounds anyway. I flew Qatar and they did weight the ammo box, btw.

BTW, It's most important that your travel agent flips the switches in the reservation system that lets Qatar know you are traveling with rifle(s) and ammo.

Jenn with @TRAVEL EXPRESS has all the documentation for my rifles and gave her the weight of my Ammunition without the case and locks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.