Namibia 2010

tygersman1

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hello all - I joined the forum recently and have been reading up on all of the great info on this site. A few friends and I have long wanted to make a trip to Africa, and a couple of us decided to book our flights for a plains game trip to North Eastern Namibia in late May - hopefully for big kudu, gemsbok, and eland (plus a few other species).

I'd like to mention that I contacted several of the outfitters from this site for possible trips, and all were very professional and prompt with all of their responses to my inquiries. Thanks guys.

I did book through a contact on the forum. I was inclined to chase dangerous game on our first safari but my pals had different ideas .... Hopefully, I'll be planning a dedicated buffalo trip in the not to distant future.

Welcome to AH tygersman1! I'm glad that you found AH a good resource for your trip and have booked your first African safari... You have a lot of fun to look forward to.

Namibia is a wonderful place and you'll undoubtedly have a good time. Good luck with your hunt!

Hello all - I joined the forum recently and have been reading up on all of the great info on this site. A few friends and I have long wanted to make a trip to Africa, and a couple of us decided to book our flights for a plains game trip to North Eastern Namibia in late May - hopefully for big kudu, gemsbok, and eland (plus a few other species).

I'd like to mention that I contacted several of the outfitters from this site for possible trips, and all were very professional and prompt with all of their responses to my inquiries. Thanks guys.

I did book through a contact on the forum. I was inclined to chase dangerous game on our first safari but my pals had different ideas .... Hopefully, I'll be planning a dedicated buffalo trip in the not to distant future.

Namibia is a great destination for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and more Safari. You'll have a great time. I've hunted there 4 times and I promise you I'll be back again. If I may be so bold as to make a couple of suggestions:

Relax - take the time to take in all the sights, sounds and smells.
Leave your watch in camp.
Be very clear with your PH as to what your priorities and expectations are.
Learn to shoot off the bench, using field rests or shooting sticks (I like the ones from Long Grass Outfitters).
Learn to shoot quickly and accurately - the game won't stand around forever.
Be respectful of all of the camp staff.
If you're dissatisfied with something, bring it to the attention of your PH.
Take a LARGE bottle of spf 30 sun screen packed inside of two plastic bags, and use it. Don't forget your ears and sides and back of your neck. The Namibian sun is wicked.

Have a great time.

Thx, Mike. Sounds like good advice.

I'm spending way too much time trying to decide about all the stuff I need to acquire for this hunt, but that's pretty fun too.

Hi Tygersman 1 , welcome to the forum of AH you would relish being part of this.

Monish

Welcome to AH. Remember to post some photos of your hunt in May. :D

tygersman1 - Welcome! You'll have a great experience in Namibia and I'm sure you'll be back to Africa for that Buff hunt real soon! Plan on taking lots of photos - you'll always have those to remember your first safari.

Hello tygersman1 and welcome to the forum!

Hope you have a great time and a successful hunt in Namibia.

I am envious. Nothing like the first trip! Be careful, it's an expensive addiction.

Thx, Mike. Sounds like good advice.

I'm spending way too much time trying to decide about all the stuff I need to acquire for this hunt, but that's pretty fun too.

PM me your "fantasy" equipment list, and I'll help you whittle it down to what's neccessary, what's nice to have, and what to leave at home.

Namibia Hunting...

Hi: I hunted in Namibia in 2008. Took Bull Eland, Oryx (2), Impala, Red Hartebeest, Hartman's Mountain Zebra, and Blesbok. The Red Hartebeest & Impala were "Gold Medal" Trophies. I hunted in early June, but late May is probably better by a little. My area was a bit north of Omaruru, about central Namibia. Its a great Country to hunt, I loved it. It was drier than my home area...Wyoming...couldn't believe it!
But, that's good! Craig Boddington says that Namibia is Africa's best kept secret...not so much anymore...and its hunter friendly no BS with Gov't.
over regualated stuff.
Best Wishes for Good Hunting!
Tom from Cody, Wyoming:):)

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll post a full review upon return.

Mike - I'll work up a list and send it to you this week. I appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg