My new 9.3x62 (Mauser) built by Wayne Jacobson at AHR

Congrats on a very fine rifle, just another example of the quality work being done at AHR.

You might want to consider a synthetic exchange stock that they offer, for those inclement weather hunts.

Very versatile cartridge choice too.
I am very new to the 9.3x62.
I have a Sako Black-bear short barreled, synthetic that is very efficient in knocking down big deer at close range in thick forested conditions.

Best of hunting with your new rifle.

As I have alluded to in previous threads, I purchased a Winchester M70 (Pre-64) barreled action in 270 WCF (Win) with the express purpose of having it re-barreled and stocked in caliber 9.3x62 (Mauser). According to the factory records, it was made around 1947, and featured the transitional style safety, and the curved tang. Not a "pre-war", but being without the original stock anyway, it has very little, if any collectors value. Having said that, I got a good deal on it, and I have always wanted a "Pre-64" Win M70, and I thought what the heck.

View attachment 160212

I am not being picky as I very much like what has been done here - but I see something on the stock on the tang area that sugests that the tang is above the wood as it curves over its length or is that a trick of perspective somehow. when I click the pic to show it larger it still seems to show this so could you comment on that.

respectfully

Oh I am well aware of Zambia. As I told you before, I was there almost 20 years ago (non-hunting trip), and have a desire to definitely come back....

The good news is that once I start going to Africa, I plan on making several trips to Africa for various hunts over the next 5-7 years, God willing....I just have to get this "mountain hunting" bug out of my system first, which I think this latest moose hunting trip to the NWT of Canada has almost done. It was a wonderful hunt, but a lot more climbing (through those damn, infernal hummocks) than I anticipated a moose hunt to involve......I didn't realize some moose thought they were 1500 lb sheep.....o_O

Anyway, after a BC Stone's sheep hunt next year, I'll be looking for a change of pace, and a 10-14 day African safari should fit that bill very nicely. I suspect Zambia will be one of those countries I make a visit to over the next few years when I get bit by the African hunting bug.....

yeah i remember now....hard to keep track sometimes :E Doh:....:D Beers:

@Von Gruff,

No problems. I'm very picky as well.

I think it is more a function of perspective than a product of the metal riding proud of the wood. After I reviewed the close up picture of the tang area, that was the first thing I noticed as well. I immediately went to it and examined it, ran my hand/fingers over it, etc. If it's there, it's very little, certainly not as apparent as it appears in the picture. There is a little gap in the wood to metal fit, but again nothing too apparent.

I don't ever attempt to compare the stocks of AHR rifles to say, someone that makes a truly fitted, custom stock with custom grip diameter, cast-off, toe-in, comb height, etc. that the stock alone would cost almost as much as Wayne's whole rifle. But for a rifle that shoots better than I can, with a stock that fits me well and looks good, I have always been happy with his work. I have a 450 Rigby built by Wayne, as well as a 375 H&H Mag that he reworked as well, as well as this rifle and am very happy with them. So much so that he's gonna build me a 404 Jeffrey.........

Not being all that familiar with AHR (American Hunting Rifles), I Googled them and had a look around their website.

Here's something for the really big bore enthusiast: http://americanhuntingrifles.com/?page_id=37

upload_2016-9-30_14-11-50.png

upload_2016-9-30_14-12-42.png

I think I'd rather have @Bullthrower338 take a 5 or 10 free swings at my head before touching off that 600OK with a load of 10K ft/lbs of energy! After about swing 2 from Cody I'd at least be unconscious!

That makes the Lott look tiny, 10k is a lot of thump on both ends! Out of everything I've ever shot up to .600, I believe the worst felt recoil I have experienced is from a Mark V 460 Weatherby I USED to own, that OK has got to be a monster unbroke.

that 600 OK looks right up @matt85 street!! :E Crazy::E Big Grin:

you have any idea how close I came to ordering one of those?! the only thing that stopped me was the weight, I don't have any interest in lugging a 14+ pound rifle around the African bush.

although I admit I wouldn't load it to full potential. Id be perfectly happy with a 900gr pill at 2000fps for all my retinal detaching needs.

-matt

I'm waitng for someone to post.........."you know, I shot a 600 OK and the recoil wasn't that bad........more of a push......." Yea Right. Heck, I wouldn't even want to be standing by someone shooting a 600 OK!

Sorry for hijacking this thread: We now return to our original topic. :)

I suspect it look something like this........,

Matt,

I agree that he handles the recoil a lot better. I really like his videos. He's not afraid to stand in behind some big rifles and "let-er rip". I will say that the 600 OK comes back on him pretty violently as well, and that's with a brake. 900 grains at almost 2400 fps.......whew....and no thank you.

I suspect the fellow shooting the 600 OK in the video I posted would be more like what I would look like. :cry:.

I agree wholeheartedly that lugging a 14 lb rifle over any significant distance would not be fun.

Pretty rifle, congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg