Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
As I have alluded to in previous threads, I purchased a Winchester M70 (Pre-64) barreled action in 270 WCF (Win) with the express purpose of having it re-barreled and stocked in caliber 9.3x62 (Mauser). According to the factory records, it was made around 1947, and featured the transitional style safety, and the curved tang. Not a "pre-war", but being without the original stock anyway, it has very little, if any collectors value. Having said that, I got a good deal on it, and I have always wanted a "Pre-64" Win M70, and I thought what the heck.

I have few rifles by Wayne, and I feel that his craftsmanship is superb for the money paid by the buyer. So I contacted him, and we set out to build a rifle in this vintage, workhorse of a caliber.

The rifle itself features the original action, that was stripped down to all its bare components for cleaning by myself and re-assembled. I installed a Timney aftermarket trigger (made for the Pre-64) rifles, and set the pull weight to around 2.5 lbs. Wayne then took the rifle and completely reworked/trued the action. He then installed a Kreiger barrel cut and crowned to 24 inches. The bolt stop was removed, and replaced by a Wisner checkered bolt stop. The bolt body was jeweled. As the extractor was an aftermarket extractor, it wouldn't hold the Nitre bluing like I wanted, so we elected to go with a jeweled extractor instead. NECG rear and front sights were installed, along with a barrel band front swivel. The metal was finished in a matte, hot-blued finish. Finally the rifle was stocked in a AAA piece of English walnut with 24 lpi wrap-around checkering and Fleur-de-Lis accents. It was cut to my LOP, and finished with a red Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad, and has a blued and inletted rear sling swivel. Overall, the rifle feels trim and svelte in my hands, and point well. Unloaded and un-scoped, it weighs in around 9 lbs. I plan to install an Leica ERi 2.5-10 x 42 scope with the 4a reticle in detachable Talley rings.

I received the rifle today, and needless to say, I am beyond thrilled with the way the rifle turned out. I plan to hand-load it with 286 grain Nosler Partitions for heavy plains game, leopard, etc. , and I am targeting a velocity of around 2400 fps. Anyway, I thought I would share the pictures as many on here (myself more than any) love to gawk at others rifles. My next rifle that I am going to have Mr. Jacobson build me is a 404 Jeffrey based on a CZ 550 Magnum action (AHR Dangerous Game).

IMG_1885.jpg
IMG_1884.jpg
IMG_1886.jpg
IMG_1887.jpg
IMG_1883 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
She's a beauty!

Clayton

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member
WOW sandman. You got a beautiful rifle there. Anxious to hear if it shoots as good as it looks.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I like it. Interesting and useful combination of British dimensions and American detail work. Hope it shoots as well as it looks.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
That is a beautiful stick sir! Congrats!

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Geezy peezy that is pretty!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Beauty of a rifle! Had me going with the caliber in the title though.o_O:D

sandman0921

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
I just caught the title.....that's gonna drive me crazy now. I'm not sure how to correct it. Oh well, that extra mm goes a long way…:(

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Yep, should be good for another 100 fps or so eh?:D

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
Great looking Rifle waiting for a range report

stug

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
NZ
Beautiful rifle and a classic calibre, gets the job done without the "showing off" of the modern magnums.

bassasdaindia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
looking forward to your 404J , the two rifles will make a great pair .

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Wow! You did good! Don't know anything about the calibre though.

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
very nice rifle in a not too bad calibre.....;) :D they do a great job when they make/convert rifles and am very happy with my .404 from them

Last edited:

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucilleTro

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?