My latest Big Bore is on it's way!

For non correct head stamping, he can use his .458WM brass to form the .425. I do that with my .416 Taylor.

I've thought the same thing too. In fact l'm curious how .338WM brass would go if l necked it up??? I've got a heap of that too

I've thought the same thing too. In fact l'm curious how .338WM brass would go if l necked it up??? I've got a heap of that too
I haven’t tried necking up my .338 brass for my .416 Taylor case yet, as I’ve been necking my .458WM brass down. But, a gentleman here on AH has used the .338 brass for his .416 Taylor and said it works well.

The .425 case is basically the same as the RUM series of cases, but with the rebated rim. My .425 was originally a RUM caliber on a Model 70 Winchester action which I had rebarreled, and I use RUM cases to make my brass. I have an extra bolt for my Model 70, with the correct bolt face and extractor for factory .425 ammunition, should I ever need to use any. An added advantage is the fact that the action feeds perfectly with no alteration.

Here are some comparison pics for your interest...

458 Win Mag, 425 Express, 338 Win Mag
33E8ED4B-85C4-457E-8768-C1D2256BD22B.jpeg

Here are some comparison pics for your interest...

458 Win Mag, 425 Express, 338 Win MagView attachment 527825
The .425 Express case is significantly longer than the .458WM (and thus .416 Taylor) case? Almost like a Lott case? I don't know how you can make the Express case from .458WM cases?

Savage offered their bolt rifle in the 425 Express, at least for a short while. I saw a couple of them locally when they came out.
It actually seemed like a neat cartridge from the 300 Winchester brass.

This is a little hype about it:

"Top of the hit parade at the '95 SHOT Show was the hot new hunting rifle from Savage Arms chambered in .425 Express. Savage has made an astounding comeback in recent years under the astute leadership of company president Ron Coburn.

The gun is the Model 116 Safari Express, a stainless steel bolt-action with folding leaf express sights, a factory muzzle brake and select walnut stock. Unlike many other so-called "safari" rifles, the Savage 116 is value priced, allowing anyone to own an African rifle even if they never actually hunt elephant.

The .425 Express is an exciting cartridge that fits in a standard .30-'06 action, yet delivers magnum power levels. It utilizes a 400-grain bullet from the classic .404 Jeffery and delivers 2,400 feet per second - identical ballistics to a .416 Rigby."

Last edited:
The .425 Express case is significantly longer than the .458WM (and thus .416 Taylor) case? Almost like a Lott case? I don't know how you can make the Express case from .458WM cases?

The 425 Express l believe was originally a .300 Win Mag case necked up. The .300 Win Mag case is 2.620" long as opposed to the .458 Win Mag case that's 2.500" long. I think that's where the extra length is.
I do know that the .458 case is used when loading ,for the 425 so maybe it's a fraction shorter?
But it mustn't be an issue as people use them (y)

Savage offered their bolt rifle in the 425 Express, at least for a short while. I saw a couple of them locally when they came out.
It actually seemed like a neat cartridge from the 300 Winchester brass.

This is a little hype about it:

"Top of the hit parade at the '95 SHOT Show was the hot new hunting rifle from Savage Arms chambered in .425 Express. Savage has made an astounding comeback in recent years under the astute leadership of company president Ron Coburn.

The gun is the Model 116 Safari Express, a stainless steel bolt-action with folding leaf express sights, a factory muzzle brake and select walnut stock. Unlike many other so-called "safari" rifles, the Savage 116 is value priced, allowing anyone to own an African rifle even if they never actually hunt elephant.

The .425 Express is an exciting cartridge that fits in a standard .30-'06 action, yet delivers magnum power levels. It utilizes a 400-grain bullet from the classic .404 Jeffery and delivers 2,400 feet per second - identical ballistics to a .416 Rigby."
Well, now I’m really confused. @Badboymelvin .425 Express is based on the belted .458WM (actually shortened and blown out .375 H&H) family of cartridges and the .425 Express described chambered in the Savage is based on the Jeffrey case? Maybe it’s the OZ version of their own .425 Express wildcat?

Last edited:
Well, now I’m really confused. @Badboymelvin .425 Express is based on the belted .458WM (actually shortened and blown out .375 H&H) family of cartridges and the .425 Express described chambered in the Savage is based on the rebated rimmed Jeffrey case? Maybe it’s the OZ version of their own .425 Express wildcat?

Hey mate,
I've only ever heard of the .300 Win Mag version...:E Shrug:
Not sure what Savage did...

The length to shoulder is different isn’t it? Also overall length we be a little shorter, but not enough to matter.

Yeah, the .300 has a shoulder more forward than the .338 so l reckon it'd just fireform to the new dimensions.
As you say, it'll be a little shorter but not enough to matter (y)

The 425 Express l believe was originally a .300 Win Mag case necked up. The .300 Win Mag case is 2.620" long as opposed to the .458 Win Mag case that's 2.500" long. I think that's where the extra length is.
I do know that the .458 case is used when loading ,for the 425 so maybe it's a fraction shorter?
But it mustn't be an issue as people use them (y)
One can shoot a .458WM with a shorter case in a Lott chambered rifle, so I don't believe the shorter .425 case will make any difference whatsoever. Any shoulder abnormality will fire form in the .425 chamber. I've seen that with my .416 Taylor using .458WM brass.

Well, now I’m really confused. @Badboymelvin .425 Express is based on the belted .458WM (actually shortened and blown out .375 H&H) family of cartridges and the .425 Express described chambered in the Savage is based on the Jeffrey case? Maybe it’s the OZ version of their own .425 Express wildcat?
Negative, you misread that. It is based off the 300 Winchester brass and uses the .423 bullet.

"It utilizes a 400-grain bullet from the classic .404 Jeffery and delivers 2,400 feet per second - identical ballistics to a .416 Rigby."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you