Badboymelvin

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hey guys,

l have great (for me anyway) news, my latest Big Bore is on it's way!
It's a Zastava and it's in 425 Express.

IMG_2460.JPG
Awesome.

IMG_2454.JPG
IMG_2455.JPG
IMG_2456.JPG
IMG_2457.JPG
IMG_2458.JPG
IMG_2458.JPG
IMG_2459.JPG

The rifle was built by NT Firearms Gove and l can't wait to get my hands on it.

A full report will come when l get my hands on it but I thought I'd give you all a sneak peak...

First a little info on the cartridge itself.
The .425 Express cartridge was designed in 1987 for African hunts by Cameron Hopkins and Whit Collins.
The cartridge is based on a slightly shortened .300 Winchester Magnum case.
This cartridge fits standard-length bolt actions such as the Winchester Model 70, 1917 Enfield, Mauser 98 or other similar-length actions.
This cartridge uses 350-grain - 410-grain bullets and has proven very effective on heavy African game.

When the rifle arrives first thing l'm doing is removing the Leupold 1-4 that lives on my .458 and fitting it to the 425 Express. That scope should really look the part.

My aim with the 425 Express is to launch a 400gn projectile at 2350fps, the classic load for Africa.
Now, l don't know if l'll reach that goal but l reckon l'll come close.
Will definitely keep you all posted on all the work l've got planned, load development, chronographing, hunt reports - and in fact this will be my primary rifle that l will use on all my deer hunting this year.

A massive, massive thanks to NT Firearms Gove for making all this become a reality, and if all this sounds interesting l suggest you give them a call.

Stay posted guys!

Russ

Looks like a beauty.

What bullets to you plan to use?

Nice one, Russ.

Rhino (in SA) makes some very good 400Gr brass flat point monolithic solid bullets and solid shank bullets (which are basically a clone of Jack Carter’s infamous Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet).

Should be absolutely killer on those huge Sambar stags which you Australian gents have in the land down under. Also water buffalo, scrub bull & banteng.

Last edited:
Nice one, Russ.

Rhino (in SA) makes some very good 400Gr brass flat point monolithic solid bullets and solid shank bullets (which are basically a clone of Jack Carter’s infamous Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet).

Should be absolutely killer on those huge Sambar stags which you Australian gents have in the land down under. Also water buffalo, scrub bull & banteng.

Thanks Hunter-Habib.
Those monolithic bullets sound awesome.
This rifle will hopefully be tested very soon and it's first species will hopefully be a big Sambar stag - but all the other species you mentioned are on the cards too

NEVER HEARD OF IT BEFORE, BUT QUICK RESEARCH SAYS IT IS A WESTLEY RICHARDS PROPRIETARY ROUND, SWEET. AFTER TEST RUNS ON WATER BUFF GOT A TRIP TO AFRICA PLANNED?

Africa is the ultimate dream and fingers crossed l get there one day. A cape buffalo would be top of my list.

@Badboymelvin - I sincerely hope the rifle came with dies and brasss. Brass alone looks to be above $6/per casing (USD).

Hey guys,

l have great (for me anyway) news, my latest Big Bore is on it's way!
It's a Zastava and it's in 425 Express.

View attachment 527656Awesome.

View attachment 527650View attachment 527651View attachment 527652View attachment 527653View attachment 527654View attachment 527654View attachment 527655

The rifle was built by NT Firearms Gove and l can't wait to get my hands on it.

A full report will come when l get my hands on it but I thought I'd give you all a sneak peak...

First a little info on the cartridge itself.
The .425 Express cartridge was designed in 1987 for African hunts by Cameron Hopkins and Whit Collins.
The cartridge is based on a slightly shortened .300 Winchester Magnum case.
This cartridge fits standard-length bolt actions such as the Winchester Model 70, 1917 Enfield, Mauser 98 or other similar-length actions.
This cartridge uses 350-grain - 410-grain bullets and has proven very effective on heavy African game.

When the rifle arrives first thing l'm doing is removing the Leupold 1-4 that lives on my .458 and fitting it to the 425 Express. That scope should really look the part.

My aim with the 425 Express is to launch a 400gn projectile at 2350fps, the classic load for Africa.
Now, l don't know if l'll reach that goal but l reckon l'll come close.
Will definitely keep you all posted on all the work l've got planned, load development, chronographing, hunt reports - and in fact this will be my primary rifle that l will use on all my deer hunting this year.

A massive, massive thanks to NT Firearms Gove for making all this become a reality, and if all this sounds interesting l suggest you give them a call.
tOP maker .
Stay posted guys!

Russ
You've got the BEST D/G rifle builder in Australia doing your build; a TOP Bloke, who thoroughly researches his work.

@Badboymelvin - I sincerely hope the rifle came with dies and brasss. Brass alone looks to be above $6/per casing (USD).
For non correct head stamping, he can use his .458WM brass to form the .425. I do that with my .416 Taylor.

Neat rifle. The cartridge sounds like a slightly different take on the 416 Taylor, and very efficient little round. I know you may want 2350fps but the 450-400 crowd brag about how effective it is and it seldom reaches 2100. I’m sure you will be able to work up a good load like you did for the 458.

Mate, l reckon l'm going to be pleasantly surprised when l work up loads for it. I can't wait to start playing with it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IonaLannin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!