My First Proper Rifle

@Kawshik Rahman @Major Khan too witness you to gentleman banter back and forth is a testament to sportsmen everywhere.
It's a lesson we all can learn from although these to gentleman are half a world away from us the same conversation could well of been had anywhere hunters gather. To me atleast it reinforces some of the best parts of our community.
Skinnersblade
We are not American , We are not European , we are not Indians , we are not Bangladeshis . First and foremost , we are all hunters with a passionate love for the sport and for the tools of the trade. Could a stronger bond between all hunters world-wide ever exist ?

That is good to hear Major Khan .. then I bet after your first visit to Africa you will be looking for a big caliber rifle to purchase .. and immediately start making plans for the second Safari ..
Africa is addictive..
Cem Rona Ergin
Our poor Major Khan is obsessed with the .416 Remington magnum calibre , just like l am obsessed about trying a .460 Weatherby magnum calibre rifle.

Yes, a pattern has definitely been established for you Major.
Keep it up and there will be little worry about using a 140-175 grain bullet for Sambar Deer.
You will simply pull out the 416RM with a 400 grain soft chambered and smile as you look through the scope.

I think I speak for most members here in saying that we are honored to be a part of your firearms enthusiasm.

@Kawshik Rahman should be getting you the cartridges soon.
Let us know how it goes.
But Bee Maa,
Poton ( Major Khan ) was the one who got ME the cartridges today .
Your advice is well noted . I have already told my niece today over telephone that every time she comes to Bangladesh , she will bring me 250 cartridges of the Norma Orynx 156 grain soft nose variety.
I will always listen to gentlemen with more expertise such as yourselves . If you all are advocating the 156 grain Norma Orynx over the 175 grain Federal Power Shok , then it must be sensible advise.

Poton already mentioned that you photographed the target you shot earlier today. Ok buddy, let's see it!! We all know this is your first trip to the range with it and that you are using iron sights.

Poton already mentioned that you photographed the target you shot earlier today. Ok buddy, let's see it!! We all know this is your first trip to the range with it and that you are using iron sights.
Shootist43
Oh , l thought that l had already posted the picture in an above post . Look .
Screenshot_20200104-164853_01.png

The first bullet hit the eighth circle . The second and third bullet hit the bulls- eye .
The other details are in page four of this thread .

My bad, I missed it. Not bad shooting for an old man! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Since the shot in the 8 ring was your first one, it may have been because there was a little oil on the bore. For what it is worth I have Leupold VX III 2-8X scopes on several of my rifles. Although 3-9 X scopes are very popular as well.

Yes, a pattern has definitely been established for you Major.
Keep it up and there will be little worry about using a 140-175 grain bullet for Sambar Deer.
You will simply pull out the 416RM with a 400 grain soft chambered and smile as you look through the scope.

I think I speak for most members here in saying that we are honored to be a part of your firearms enthusiasm.

@Kawshik Rahman should be getting you the cartridges soon.
Let us know how it goes.
And it is my privilege to be acquainted with such fine and experienced gentlemen such as yourself , Bee Maa .
The .416 Remington magnum calibre is 1 which has always fascinated me since the 1990s when l 1st read about it .
I do believe that you mistook me for Kawshik , however ( which is purely understandable , as my name rhymes with his ) . You see , l am the 1 who got him the 7 × 57 mm Mauser cartridges today .
I do eventually plan to have a custom made .338 Winchester magnum calibre bolt rifle made by the American company , Griffin & Howe , on a FN Mauser action when l visit America . I had 1 of my American clients , a 1st class shikaree and gentleman , bring such a rifle to hunt royal Bengal tigers in Uttarakhand in 1967 . It was a beautiful piece of ordinance.
I will need a great deal of guidance from you gentlemen in the near future on this matter , such as ammunition choices and other recommendations.

My bad, I missed it. Not bad shooting for an old man! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Since the shot in the 8 ring was your first one, it may have been because there was a little oil on the bore. For what it is worth I have Leupold VX III 2-8X scopes on several of my rifles. Although 3-9 X scopes are very popular as well.
The man is a natural , Shootist43.
During the Liberation War , when the Mukti Bahini ( Freedom Fighters) had to overrun a Pakistani outpost in Jessore , they were all being cut down by an H.M.G post ( heavy machine gun post ) . Young Sergeant Kawshik Rahman took a .303 calibre Lee Enfield bolt rifle from another Mukti Juddha ( Freedom Fighter ) . Using only iron sights and 1 cartridge , he shot the machine gunner through the head at a distance of 100 yards ( approximately) . This single act of gallantry ( amongst many others ) led to Kawshik being awarded his " Bir Uttam " title in the Bangladesh military . What made this feat even scarier was that he stood directly in the H.M.G post's line of fire when he took the shot .
Of course , you will never hear any story written by Kawshik where he ever praises himself . He always high lights the accomplishments of others .
Leupold scopes are fantastic pieces of equipment , indeed .

Shootist43
Why thank you ! I got extremely lucky .
Leupold eighteen 2-8X telescopic sight ? Then that is what l am getting for this rifle as well.

Is that a folding peep sight I see on the rear receiver ring. At least some Brno rifles were made with such sights.
I am a great fan of peep sights, from using them on my air rifle during my early years, and on assault rifles during my conscript service and some Government temp jobs.
Perttime
Why yes . The sight peeps out and it is a beauty . My niece's father-in-law tells me that the peeping sight on a rifle made by the firm , Brno is an indica that the rifle was made prior to 1975.

The man is a natural , Shootist43.
During the Liberation War , when the Mukti Bahini ( Freedom Fighters) had to overrun a Pakistani outpost in Jessore , they were all being cut down by an H.M.G post ( heavy machine gun post ) . Young Sergeant Kawshik Rahman took a .303 calibre Lee Enfield bolt rifle from another Mukti Juddha ( Freedom Fighter ) . Using only iron sights and 1 cartridge , he shot the machine gunner through the head at a distance of 100 yards ( approximately) . This single act of gallantry ( amongst many others ) led to Kawshik being awarded his " Bir Uttam " title in the Bangladesh military . What made this feat even scarier was that he stood directly in the H.M.G post's line of fire when he took the shot .
Of course , you will never hear any story written by Kawshik where he ever praises himself . He always high lights the accomplishments of others .
Leupold scopes are fantastic pieces of equipment , indeed .
Poton
This is a very big compliment coming from a man who killed nine enemy soldiers with a single hand- grenade .
Regarding the machine-gun post , believe me when l tell you that it was an extremely lucky shot . Did you know that the cartridge was the last one left in the magazine ? I do not think that l can ever replicate that shot ever again .

But Bee Maa,
Poton ( Major Khan ) was the one who got ME the cartridges today .
Your advice is well noted . I have already told my niece today over telephone that every time she comes to Bangladesh , she will bring me 250 cartridges of the Norma Orynx 156 grain soft nose variety.
I will always listen to gentlemen with more expertise such as yourselves . If you all are advocating the 156 grain Norma Orynx over the 175 grain Federal Power Shok , then it must be sensible advise.
My apologies for the mix up.
Excellent shooting as well sir.

Excellent shooting Kawshik! I love to see someone with as great of enthusiasm as you. I hope you can acquire a lot more cartridges so you can make some empty brass to reload.:) Whenever you do reload, if you can get 4350 (either IMR or Hodgdon) or H-414 you will find really make the 7x57 shine. If you have big temp swings, H-4350 is temp insensitive but, I don't have that problem.

Cem Rona Ergin
It is like you can read minds ! I do have a safari planned with old Poton in 2022 . I wish to shoot a Gemsbok ( those horns look magnificent and l hear that their meat is excellent ) and an African bull elephant . The Gemsbok , l hope to secure with my 7 millimeter mauser calibre bolt operation rifle . My dream would be to shoot the bull elephant with a .460 Weatherby magnum calibre rifle ( it has been my life long dream since the last five decades to shoot a .460 Weatherby magnum calibre rifle , as you already know )

Mr Rahman
The offer still exists.. please send me a pm before your arrival .. if I am in Istanbul I will be very happy to fulfill your dream :)

Fine shooting, Mr. Rahman. It looks as if you and that rifle will make an excellent team. I hope you can acquire a few more cartridges before hunting season for practice.
Wyatt Smith
Thank you so much for your kind words and support , my young American friend . It is interesting to note that l have exactly the same ammunition as you have showed me in your photograph .
175 grain soft nose cartridges made from the firm , Winchester .
On a related subject , would you happen to know how many re-loads these brass cartridge cases can last ? Four re-loads perhaps ?

My apologies for the mix up.
Excellent shooting as well sir.
Bee Maa
No apology necessary ! I got most lucky with the shooting . When l get my hands on the Norma Orynx soft nose cartridges , l will have to re-adjust the sights accordingly .

Excellent shooting Kawshik! I love to see someone with as great of enthusiasm as you. I hope you can acquire a lot more cartridges so you can make some empty brass to reload.:) Whenever you do reload, if you can get 4350 (either IMR or Hodgdon) or H-414 you will find really make the 7x57 shine. If you have big temp swings, H-4350 is temp insensitive but, I don't have that problem.
7 × 57 Joe
Thank you so much for your kind words and support. I am indeed very passionate about fine sporting arms and hunting , ever since l was a little boy .
I could definitely use temperature insensitive powders . Bangladesh can be rather hot in the summer and rather cold in the winter . Our Chital deer are hunted in March , which can get rather hot .In the areas and time where we hunt Sambhar deer , it is not hot at all .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois