My first double rifle!

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Today I have been inducted into your ranks! It's been a lot of saving, planning, shopping, comparing, researching and, finally, buying but I now have my first double rifle, a Chapuis 450/400. I cannot believe that I've taken this step, it's a rifle and caliber that I've been dreaming about since I was small and I want to thank you all for your advice and guidance! I hope to take her on my first buffalo hunt next year, using one bucket list item to help check off another bucket list item. Here are some pictures and I'm hoping to take her out this weekend and see how we work together.
20200723_185507.jpg
20200723_185513.jpg
20200723_185517.jpg
20200723_185543.jpg

chashardy

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Congratulations on a beautiful Chapuis! My double is the same rifle (an older model) in 375H&H. You will love shooting your 450/400. I did a lot of online research before buying--you probably did also. I was most interested by the comments on the website of Champlin Arms in Enid, Oklahoma. George Caswell and J.J. Perrodeaux both swear by Chapuis and say on their website they have handled, shot and worked on every make and model of double rifle and for the money you can't find a better rifle than Chapuis. I have hunted twice in Africa with mine and it performed beautifully on cape buffalo and nyala. I'm taking it with me again next year to look for another cape buffalo (though I will probably use my new 416 Rigby and have the double for follow-up.)
In case you haven't heard, Chapuis is now part of the Beretta Group so they should be secure for years to come and have the big dealer network that Beretta can provide.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Envy! Beautiful in a grand caliber! Congratulations!

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Congratulations on a beautiful Chapuis! My double is the same rifle (an older model) in 375H&H. You will love shooting your 450/400. I did a lot of online research before buying--you probably did also. I was most interested by the comments on the website of Champlin Arms in Enid, Oklahoma. George Caswell and J.J. Perrodeaux both swear by Chapuis and say on their website they have handled, shot and worked on every make and model of double rifle and for the money you can't find a better rifle than Chapuis. I have hunted twice in Africa with mine and it performed beautifully on cape buffalo and nyala. I'm taking it with me again next year to look for another cape buffalo (though I will probably use my new 416 Rigby and have the double for follow-up.)
In case you haven't heard, Chapuis is now part of the Beretta Group so they should be secure for years to come and have the big dealer network that Beretta can provide.
That's actually where I bought mine! They were very helpful with everything that I had to ask !

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Rey nice sir! Congratulations on your purchase.

ve7poi

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member SCI
Hunted
British Columbia, Alberta, South Africa
Very nice enjoy your rifle use it for everything it a very versatile caliber
I’m still looking for my second one can’t decide between 450/400 and 9.3x74R.

I know buy both

I wish

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
Congrats! she's a beauty!

Advice? Pull her in tight to your shoulder like the love of your life and hold her there tight with your cheek pressed tight to hers;) If you don't, she just may slap you hard.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
I have a Chapuis sxs in 9.3x74R I bought from another member of our forum. Even though I haven't mastered it on the range or taken it hunting, it is lots of fun to shoot. Hope you enjoy yours.....congratulations!

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Beautiful double Eventually_Africa_Again. What does it weigh? Are you going to fit a sling? After much deliberation I have decided to fit one to mine. Much safer I think, African carry scares me.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Awesome! I suspect that it rode in the front seat on the way home.

Will you get a chance to do a stateside hunt with it this fall?

Thank you! I don't think we will be swinging a stateside hunt this year, we were hoping to make it down to my parents house in November/December for a possible Deer hunt but some family drama has put that on hold for right now. I am planning on a Buffalo hunt next year, possibly a Hyena as well and I think this rifle could do both of those! The question that needs answering is, can I handle it well enough to do both of those heh.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Beautiful double Eventually_Africa_Again. What does it weigh? Are you going to fit a sling? After much deliberation I have decided to fit one to mine. Much safer I think, African carry scares me.

Thank you! She is advertised as 9lbs 5 oz and feels right about in that range when I pick her up. I think I will put a sling on, after all what lady doesn't like a nice accessory? Initially I didn't think I would but the more I researched and watched videos and such the more I think a sling is probably the way to go. I could be wrong of course, but what else is new?

Last edited:

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Congratulations! Very nice looking rifle.

Philippe

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Upper Volta , Gabon , France , RSA
Congrats for this double . When I bought my 500 NE , I was like you , a little boy in front a marvelous gift . Congrats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LamontRtb

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.