My first double rifle!

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Today I have been inducted into your ranks! It's been a lot of saving, planning, shopping, comparing, researching and, finally, buying but I now have my first double rifle, a Chapuis 450/400. I cannot believe that I've taken this step, it's a rifle and caliber that I've been dreaming about since I was small and I want to thank you all for your advice and guidance! I hope to take her on my first buffalo hunt next year, using one bucket list item to help check off another bucket list item. Here are some pictures and I'm hoping to take her out this weekend and see how we work together.
20200723_185507.jpg
20200723_185513.jpg
20200723_185517.jpg
20200723_185543.jpg

Congratulations on a beautiful Chapuis! My double is the same rifle (an older model) in 375H&H. You will love shooting your 450/400. I did a lot of online research before buying--you probably did also. I was most interested by the comments on the website of Champlin Arms in Enid, Oklahoma. George Caswell and J.J. Perrodeaux both swear by Chapuis and say on their website they have handled, shot and worked on every make and model of double rifle and for the money you can't find a better rifle than Chapuis. I have hunted twice in Africa with mine and it performed beautifully on cape buffalo and nyala. I'm taking it with me again next year to look for another cape buffalo (though I will probably use my new 416 Rigby and have the double for follow-up.)
In case you haven't heard, Chapuis is now part of the Beretta Group so they should be secure for years to come and have the big dealer network that Beretta can provide.

Envy! Beautiful in a grand caliber! Congratulations!

Congratulations on a beautiful Chapuis! My double is the same rifle (an older model) in 375H&H. You will love shooting your 450/400. I did a lot of online research before buying--you probably did also. I was most interested by the comments on the website of Champlin Arms in Enid, Oklahoma. George Caswell and J.J. Perrodeaux both swear by Chapuis and say on their website they have handled, shot and worked on every make and model of double rifle and for the money you can't find a better rifle than Chapuis. I have hunted twice in Africa with mine and it performed beautifully on cape buffalo and nyala. I'm taking it with me again next year to look for another cape buffalo (though I will probably use my new 416 Rigby and have the double for follow-up.)
In case you haven't heard, Chapuis is now part of the Beretta Group so they should be secure for years to come and have the big dealer network that Beretta can provide.
That's actually where I bought mine! They were very helpful with everything that I had to ask !

Rey nice sir! Congratulations on your purchase.

Very nice enjoy your rifle use it for everything it a very versatile caliber
I’m still looking for my second one can’t decide between 450/400 and 9.3x74R.

I know buy both

I wish

Nice looking rifle, I think I just drooled on my computer screen, congratulations

Congrats! she's a beauty!

Advice? Pull her in tight to your shoulder like the love of your life and hold her there tight with your cheek pressed tight to hers;) If you don't, she just may slap you hard.

I have a Chapuis sxs in 9.3x74R I bought from another member of our forum. Even though I haven't mastered it on the range or taken it hunting, it is lots of fun to shoot. Hope you enjoy yours.....congratulations!

Beautiful double Eventually_Africa_Again. What does it weigh? Are you going to fit a sling? After much deliberation I have decided to fit one to mine. Much safer I think, African carry scares me.

Awesome! I suspect that it rode in the front seat on the way home.

Will you get a chance to do a stateside hunt with it this fall?

Thank you! I don't think we will be swinging a stateside hunt this year, we were hoping to make it down to my parents house in November/December for a possible Deer hunt but some family drama has put that on hold for right now. I am planning on a Buffalo hunt next year, possibly a Hyena as well and I think this rifle could do both of those! The question that needs answering is, can I handle it well enough to do both of those heh.

Beautiful double Eventually_Africa_Again. What does it weigh? Are you going to fit a sling? After much deliberation I have decided to fit one to mine. Much safer I think, African carry scares me.

Thank you! She is advertised as 9lbs 5 oz and feels right about in that range when I pick her up. I think I will put a sling on, after all what lady doesn't like a nice accessory? Initially I didn't think I would but the more I researched and watched videos and such the more I think a sling is probably the way to go. I could be wrong of course, but what else is new?

Last edited:
Congratulations! Very nice looking rifle.

Congrats for this double . When I bought my 500 NE , I was like you , a little boy in front a marvelous gift . Congrats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg