Muzzle Brake on a Big Bore

nksmfamjp

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
MT, OH
What are some of my fellow hunters opinions about the use of muzzle brakes on big bores? I have a buddy who swears by his brake on a 375 Ruger. I don’t run one on any hunting rifle as I’m looking to push blast away from me.

Should a person consider this for a safari rifle? What cons should I be considering in that role? Thinking dangerous game rifle.

I own the Ruger 375 guide rifle. I personally don’t like recoil, I can handle it just don’t like it. That being said I like the brake. Most PH’s don’t and understandably so. So on this much debated topic here on AH my opinion is go for it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The PH and trackers will hate you as you will kill their hearing.

Shoot your big bore from a lead sled on the bench to get it zeroed and then from a standing bench or sticks so that the recoil becomes much less of an issue. My last range session with my 404 Jeffery, I took the wooden seat and set it on top of the bench. I put a couple of sandbag rests and had a perfect height for me to shoot standing.

The brake question has been posted numerous times on AH and everyone’s answer is certainly valid from their perspectives.
To repeat my issues, when I purchased my MRC in 375 H&H I got it with a brake. I had just been through a problem with a torn retina and didn’t want it to sever while in Africa. Guaranteed blindness! Admittedly I hate the muzzle blast, but I’d rather be deaf than blind.
A 10 lb 375 H&H with no brake is the max recoil I can handle. It with my brake, I can get a backup shot off much faster as well.
Truth is, I suffered from tinnitus before ever getting my brake.
If I had a suppressor on it, it would be the best, but they are huge for such a big caliber.

BTW, none of my PHs nor trackers ever complained. They just stuck their fingers in their ears. They like their tips too. Most times when you shoot game they are behind you anyway. You get the brunt of the blast.

Best of luck in what ever you decide!

NOOOOO..... YESSSSS. That about sums it up.:S Beat Dead Horse:

Yes, use the brake to develop your loads. That puts a lot less stress on the stock than a lead sled. Use a thread protector once your loads are dialed in

I hate brakes and won’t own a rifle with one.

That said, I understand part of the attraction (sort of).

Proper mass, proper fit, proper technique and practice will overcome the recoil issues without the risk to other folks ears.

I agree with Pheroze - use a brake in practice if you desire, but leave it off in the field.

.416 Rigby is as big as I go. Will not have any brake on any of my rifles. For zeroing I use a Past 1 inch gel pad. It works great.

I have fired a .460 Weatherby Magnum Mark V with a muzzle brake. I liked it at the time. Recoil was ... Not a pleasant experience but the raw power of it is something l have never seen in another fire arm in my life. It is my understanding that most professional hunters despise muzzle brakes and Weatherby .460s since they are usually standing next to the client hunter when the client is opening fire.

I vote a strong no. You will get used to shooting a .375. I shoot .458 Lott and .470 from the bench now with no problems and I’m in my 60s.
In the field you will never notice the recoil. Unless you have a medical issue like a detached retina don’t risk lifetime tinnitus by using a brake.
I wake up every morning with my ears ringing from damage done years ago.

I have a break on my 416 Ruger and like it. Not a single PH has obtected to my use of the break. All of them have had the sense to stand behind me or to cover their ears.
If your paying for the hunt the PH can use plugs......take some along as hand outs.

I used one on my 375 Ruger when I dropped my giraffe. My PH was back behind me so the blast didn't affect him since he never mentioned it. The animal dropped so honestly I'd say he was actually pretty pleased overall.

Not too long ago I started thinking about buffalo and asked my last PH his opinion on brakes. He said if it helped me put that first very critical shot into the right spot he'd far prefer I used one. So if it really helps you ask your PH, and possibly ask them if they'd mind trying some Walker type ear muffs. If so, buy him a set or two, bring them along and leave them as a little bonus gift.

What are some of my fellow hunters opinions about the use of muzzle brakes on big bores? I have a buddy who swears by his brake on a 375 Ruger. I don’t run one on any hunting rifle as I’m looking to push blast away from me.

Should a person consider this for a safari rifle? What cons should I be considering in that role? Thinking dangerous game rifle.

If you shoot better with it then it can be a big plus. Minus is you must have hearing pro. In DG situations it can be a problem however.
Philip

Yes, use the brake to develop your loads. That puts a lot less stress on the stock than a lead sled. Use a thread protector once your loads are dialed in
Never ever had a rifle bothered by a lead sled - ever. And I shoot a bit. A couple of friends develop loads for customers with the the clients' rifles and use the lead sled extensively - never ever an issue with thousands of rounds an hundreds of rifles. You would think Caldwell would be out of business long ago with all the destroyed big bores fired from their rests. (n):(

With respect the muzzle breaks, unless you have a medical condition that prevents you from managing your rifle, then NO.

And no matter how much you tip them, your PH and tracker will be grateful.

I have a break on my 416 Ruger and like it. Not a single PH has obtected to my use of the break. All of them have had the sense to stand behind me or to cover their ears.
If your paying for the hunt the PH can use plugs......take some along as hand outs.
BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE BRAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT BREAK!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:( AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and NO TO BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!o_O:rolleyes::eek::D:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg