Method of Hunting: Rifle
Outfitter: @KWALATA SAFARIS
PH: Jaco Strauss
Locations Hunted: Niassa Reserve
Species Hunted: Buffalo, Leopard, Plains Game
Trophy Quality: Excellent
Lodging: Tented Camp, Very Comfortable
Food: Excellent
Travel Methods: Delta Air Lines, Atlanta to Johannesburg; Airlink, Johannesburg to Pemba, Mozambique; private charter, Pemba to camp.
Additional Logistics: Africa Sky Guest House stayed both going and coming, highly recommend. Henry along with Marius and Anna from Rifle Permits, all outstanding to deal with.

It’s been a little over 2 weeks now since I returned from an outstanding safari in Mozambique with Jaco Strauss/Kwalata Safaris and I do not believe the entire trip could have been any better. First and foremost, Jaco runs an amazing camp, very clean and orderly with outstanding food. Jaco himself is a very likeable person, easy to get along with, and very attentive to everyone in camp (3 including myself). The other PH’s in camp, Paul and Ryan, were the same and all had great stories to tell each evening.

As far as hunting is concerned, you will not find anyone who will work harder to find quality animals as Jaco and his tracker Joe. Days are long, wakeup each morning is 0415 with the plan to head out at first light. On days we were in the leopard blind at night, we would return to camp mid-day for lunch and a siesta. For days we were not, lunch was in the field and we did not return to camp until after dark. Mornings and evenings were spent stalking game, with the middle of the day driving and checking leopard baits/trail cameras. Terrain was generally not difficult and was mainly flat with some rolling hills, but we did walk several miles each day.

Game quality was excellent. Each day we saw many animals including Buffalo, Elephant, Leopard, Lion, Sable, Wildebeest, Eland, Impala, Kudu, Waterbuck, Bushbuck, Warthog, Bush Pig, Baboon and more. In camp, we also saw Hippo and Crocodile in the adjacent river. Additionally, there was an elephant that liked to eat bamboo next to my tent at night. I was fortunate enough to harvest a Buffalo, Leopard, Sable, Impala, and a white Bush Pig.

The Niassa Reserve is an incredible place, and one that still represents wild Africa. Hunting is absolutely phenomenal, and I highly recommend going with Kwalata.

Impala.jpg

leopard.jpg

dsc_0027-jpg.490032

dsc_0047-jpg.490034

dsc_0005-jpg.490041

dsc_0118-jpg.490031

dsc_0083-jpg.490030

Attachments

• DSC_0083.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 808
  • DSC_0118.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 805
  • DSC_0027.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 795
  • DSC_0047.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 807
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 804
Last edited by a moderator:
Dates: August 16-28 2022
Method of Hunting: Rifle
Outfitter: @KWALATA SAFARIS
PH: Jaco Strauss
Locations Hunted: Niassa Reserve
Species Hunted: Buffalo, Leopard, Plains Game
Trophy Quality: Excellent
Lodging: Tented Camp, Very Comfortable
Food: Excellent
Travel Methods: Delta Air Lines, Atlanta to Johannesburg; Airlink, Johannesburg to Pemba, Mozambique; private charter, Pemba to camp.
Additional Logistics: Africa Sky Guest House stayed both going and coming, highly recommend. Henry along with Marius and Anna from Rifle Permits, all outstanding to deal with.

It’s been a little over 2 weeks now since I returned from an outstanding safari in Mozambique with Jaco Strauss/Kwalata Safaris and I do not believe the entire trip could have been any better. First and foremost, Jaco runs an amazing camp, very clean and orderly with outstanding food. Jaco himself is a very likeable person, easy to get along with, and very attentive to everyone in camp (3 including myself). The other PH’s in camp, Paul and Ryan, were the same and all had great stories to tell each evening.

As far as hunting is concerned, you will not find anyone who will work harder to find quality animals as Jaco and his tracker Joe. Days are long, wakeup each morning is 0415 with the plan to head out at first light. On days we were in the leopard blind at night, we would return to camp mid-day for lunch and a siesta. For days we were not, lunch was in the field and we did not return to camp until after dark. Mornings and evenings were spent stalking game, with the middle of the day driving and checking leopard baits/trail cameras. Terrain was generally not difficult and was mainly flat with some rolling hills, but we did walk several miles each day.

Game quality was excellent. Each day we saw many animals including Buffalo, Elephant, Leopard, Lion, Sable, Wildebeest, Eland, Impala, Kudu, Waterbuck, Bushbuck, Warthog, Bush Pig, Baboon and more. In camp, we also saw Hippo and Crocodile in the adjacent river. Additionally, there was an elephant that liked to eat bamboo next to my tent at night. I was fortunate enough to harvest a Buffalo, Leopard, Sable, Impala, and a white Bush Pig.

The Niassa Reserve is an incredible place, and one that still represents wild Africa. Hunting is absolutely phenomenal, and I highly recommend going with Kwalata.

View attachment 490035
View attachment 490033
dsc_0027-jpg.490032

dsc_0047-jpg.490034

dsc_0005-jpg.490041

dsc_0118-jpg.490031

dsc_0083-jpg.490030
Perfect old buff and a great leopard. But that bush pig is one of those trophies of a lifetime. Congrats.

Looks and sounds like like you had an excellent hunt. Congratulations all around.

Jaco worked hard for some nice trophies.

Congratulations.

Congrats on the hunt and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the kind words and the report brother I know you are extremely busy.
It was great to have you in camp and to share this safari with you!
We will sort out the damn wildebeest!

See you soon! And as always my very best!
Jaco

Thanks for taking the time to share. Many would enjoy your rifle and bullet details. Additionally info on the stalks would be interesting. I gotta say that white bushpig is an exceptional animal. Very unusual, as I'm sure you know. Very nice Buffalo and leopards rarely come easy. Yours looks like a very nice cat. Congrats on a great hunt.
Bruce

Looks like a fantastic safari. The white bushpig is a unique trophy. Like the leopard and buff. Like many would also like some detail on your rifles and some more details on the stalks on each animal. We are looking forward to hunting with Jaco in 2024.

Great hunt with very good trophies, congrats :D Cheers:

Congratulations on a wonderful and successful safari! Thanks for sharing the details and pictures. You’re very fortunate.

Great old buff and any mature leopard is a great leopard in my mind, congrats!

He was a solid Niassa Tom aged at 5 1/2 years tipped the scale at 129lbs. While Niassa Tom’s are not Waterberg, Zim Lowveld or Northern Tanzania weight classes, the success rate on Leopard due to minimal hunting pressure and sheer density is extremely hard to bear anywhere else.
Congrats Mark!! There is an interesting story about this Leopard but I’ll let you guys still wonder for a bit! ;-)
This was my 51st successful Leopard hunt with an international client out of a total of 54 safaris conducted.
on our block L9 I have not had a fail since 2017 all cats are aged prior to hunting them with the assistance of friends (neighbors and other knowledgeable experienced operators, we have a group) and the reserve ecologist prior to the hunt taking place. We care deeply about age and on all species that is the primary prerequisite.
My best always
Jaco.

03F063F0-49A1-4B1D-8B0A-9BDE5881185E.jpeg
EC712C58-0665-4D44-9787-BDE6A595552A.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg