Mounting a scope on a single bridge Mauser .416 Rigby

Not yet .He promised to contact me as soon as he is back from the hunting convention..

Did you get an answer at to weather it was a single square bridge?

I finally talked to Herr wiethaup . He says the mechanism is called civil action . If I understood him correctly. Not a single square bridge . And yes the mechanism was a used one . The barrel was purchased new from Walther . http://www.lothar-walther.de/pdf/Katalog_Lothar_Walther_2016_en.pdf
He said he can supply me with a mount case colored . When I asked him would he mount a scope on this gun he said to be honest NO .
One of the main reasons being the front mount base will ruin the gold Mauser logo .
So the gun stays as is :) main reason is not to ruin the Mauser logo .
There are some pictures of the base that he already put on a similar action but I am writing this from my mobile phone .
Tomorrow I can post if you guys would like to see.

Attachments

• Katalog_Lothar_Walther_2016_en.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 751
Ditto on the good choice. Now you have a couple of decisions to make. What caliber and whether to purchase a scoped rifle or rent one. To a great extent the selection of caliber is dependent on what game you intend to hunt. If it is just large than a 375 H & H will most likely do the trick. If it chews, claws or tramples something bigger might be in order.

I for one would like to see the pictures of how Herr Wiethaup scoped a similar action. Perhaps he would be willing to build a Mauser based working rifle for you.

Why can he not mount the front base further forward on the barrel I'll take a picture of what I mean tomorrow. It would keep you "Mauser"

But personally I see no major need to scope it.

Slightly surprised he called it a civilian with a thumb cut out.

Ditto on the good choice. Now you have a couple of decisions to make. What caliber and whether to purchase a scoped rifle or rent one. To a great extent the selection of caliber is dependent on what game you intend to hunt. If it is just large than a 375 H & H will most likely do the trick. If it chews, claws or tramples something bigger might be in order.

I for one would like to see the pictures of how Herr Wiethaup scoped a similar action. Perhaps he would be willing to build a Mauser based working rifle for you.

That subject came up of course . :) I told him I was interested in 375 H&H he said 375 Ruger is better and cheaper . What do you think ?

Why can he not mount the front base further forward on the barrel I'll take a picture of what I mean tomorrow. It would keep you "Mauser"

But personally I see no major need to scope it.

Slightly surprised he called it a civilian with a thumb cut out.

About him calling it civilian maybe I heard it wrong . I asked him twice it sounded like civilian . There is a construction going on right next to my office it is very hard to have a decent Telf conversation.

I'm 73 and I guess you could say that I'm "old school." My Mauser is a 375 H & H. I think one could make the case that the 375 H & H has taken more game than all of the other 375(s) put together. You can buy 375 H & H ammo anywhere in the world. I'm not certain the same can be said of the 375 Ruger.

I'm 73 and I guess you could say that I'm "old school." My Mauser is a 375 H & H. I think one could make the case that the 375 H & H has taken more game than all of the other 375(s) put together. You can buy 375 H & H ammo anywhere in the world. I'm not certain the same can be said of the 375 Ruger.

I totally agree . But here is smtg for you to read :)
http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/2016/05/375-ruger/

It's a civil model because it was made for the civilians sporter market, the Mauser logo on the front receiver ring is the give away, it's called the Mauser 'banner' logo. Action will clearly have been used once or twice before as it was most likely made in the interwar period.

It's a no brainer not to scope this rifle, not just because of the banner logo, as a barrel based front clawmount could be fitted, even a side mount, but because it's not a scope designed rifle, that is, from the safety through to the bolt handle, etc etc,

This gun is great for your buff, elephant, hippo,,and what you need to do is learn to shoot properly with open sights, and practice regularly.

To complement to this, don't buy a 375, if you are going to use the big gun for DG then your 'other' gun will be for non DG, and in that I'd suggest 7x57, 30-06 or 9.3x62, also built on a classic Mauser action, but with claw mounts or sidemounts.

You may also consider selling your fancy Mauser if you genuinely feel the need for a scope, and be honest with youself about this, and replacing it with another plains game + DG + general large game rifle, sensible choices would be 9.3x62, 375H, 404J

Personally, I'd pick a 9.3x62 on a 1909 argentine Mauser, dense walnut stock, not fancy but good grain flow, one cross bolt, no ebony tip, silvers recoil pad, rounded pistol grip, very open, banded front sight with platinum bead, flat faced and with removable hood, no flip up moonsight bs, fwd slanted rear sight with wide flat V and platinum line

Clawmounts and two scopes, a fixed 4X and a 1-4x24 type scope

Oil finish, not high polish, simple wrap around checkering, 18lpi, rust bluing

That's a gun which you can use on the most dangerous game (where not banned due to silly min 375 rules) through to driven game and down to small game such as the European roe deer. Even long shots for goats up to maybe 350m are within its mpbr.

The 375H is also a great option, and favourable to the Ruger due to ammo availability, but the magnum length is expensive to build in a good mauser, so a semi custom on a magnum CZ such as Lon Paul's rifles are great alternatives.

Or,,, just get a great 30-06 and a 470NE double rifle as a pair and live happily ever after

I've just finished reading the link you provided re the 375 Ruger vs the 375 H & H. In addition to that I read several other comparisons of the two calibers. From everything I've read the 375 Ruger is simply a better, more efficient cartridge. The only issue with it that all of the articles mentioned was ammo availability. Providing you have continuous access to 375 Ruger ammunition or reload your own that seems to be the way to go. On the other hand, if the supply of 375 Ruger ammo is "spotty" and you do not reload, the obvious choice is the 375 H & H.

Most African hunters would be well served with a "battery" of 3 guns. One for large and or Dangerous Game (your 416 Rigby) a medium bore like a 375 H&H (that can be downloaded both in bullet size and powder quantity) and something for smaller game like a 6.5 x 55 or a 7 x 57. Others might choose a different 3 gun battery, but none can say that the one I mentioned is incapable of getting the job done.

Firstly what a beautiful rifle in an awesome calibre! As others have said i think its a wise choice not scoping as it looks spectacular the way it is!

in regards to a second calibre what did you use on your first hunt? And what are you planing to hunt on your next trip?

Firstly what a beautiful rifle in an awesome calibre! As others have said i think its a wise choice not scoping as it looks spectacular the way it is!

in regards to a second calibre what did you use on your first hunt? And what are you planing to hunt on your next trip?
hopefully november .. last time i used a 30-06 ..

I've just finished reading the link you provided re the 375 Ruger vs the 375 H & H. In addition to that I read several other comparisons of the two calibers. From everything I've read the 375 Ruger is simply a better, more efficient cartridge. The only issue with it that all of the articles mentioned was ammo availability. Providing you have continuous access to 375 Ruger ammunition or reload your own that seems to be the way to go. On the other hand, if the supply of 375 Ruger ammo is "spotty" and you do not reload, the obvious choice is the 375 H & H.

Most African hunters would be well served with a "battery" of 3 guns. One for large and or Dangerous Game (your 416 Rigby) a medium bore like a 375 H&H (that can be downloaded both in bullet size and powder quantity) and something for smaller game like a 6.5 x 55 or a 7 x 57. Others might choose a different 3 gun battery, but none can say that the one I mentioned is incapable of getting the job done.

You are absolutely right about the ammo availability . i do not know the situation in South Africa maybe they have a good supply of these cartridges already .
There is another big plus for 375 Ruger which Fiocchi mentioned already is the length of the Mauser mechanism. with 375 Ruger you do not need the Magnum length mechanism .
the price difference in between the calibers is approximately 5000 euros on a rifle like this one .
i still have not decided what to do for a scoped rifle yet but your input is greatly appreciated..

It's a civil model because it was made for the civilians sporter market, the Mauser logo on the front receiver ring is the give away, it's called the Mauser 'banner' logo. Action will clearly have been used once or twice before as it was most likely made in the interwar period.

It's a no brainer not to scope this rifle, not just because of the banner logo, as a barrel based front clawmount could be fitted, even a side mount, but because it's not a scope designed rifle, that is, from the safety through to the bolt handle, etc etc,

This gun is great for your buff, elephant, hippo,,and what you need to do is learn to shoot properly with open sights, and practice regularly.

To complement to this, don't buy a 375, if you are going to use the big gun for DG then your 'other' gun will be for non DG, and in that I'd suggest 7x57, 30-06 or 9.3x62, also built on a classic Mauser action, but with claw mounts or sidemounts.

You may also consider selling your fancy Mauser if you genuinely feel the need for a scope, and be honest with youself about this, and replacing it with another plains game + DG + general large game rifle, sensible choices would be 9.3x62, 375H, 404J

Personally, I'd pick a 9.3x62 on a 1909 argentine Mauser, dense walnut stock, not fancy but good grain flow, one cross bolt, no ebony tip, silvers recoil pad, rounded pistol grip, very open, banded front sight with platinum bead, flat faced and with removable hood, no flip up moonsight bs, fwd slanted rear sight with wide flat V and platinum line

Clawmounts and two scopes, a fixed 4X and a 1-4x24 type scope

Oil finish, not high polish, simple wrap around checkering, 18lpi, rust bluing

That's a gun which you can use on the most dangerous game (where not banned due to silly min 375 rules) through to driven game and down to small game such as the European roe deer. Even long shots for goats up to maybe 350m are within its mpbr.

The 375H is also a great option, and favourable to the Ruger due to ammo availability, but the magnum length is expensive to build in a good mauser, so a semi custom on a magnum CZ such as Lon Paul's rifles are great alternatives.

Or,,, just get a great 30-06 and a 470NE double rifle as a pair and live happily ever after

I am sure there are other options to mount a scope to this rifle but this solution was offered by maker of this rifle .
of course the Mauser logo was not the only reason for not scoping this rifle but i think it is a hell of a good reason not to because it looks damn good as is :)
Your suggestions for a second rifle are excellent. I am considering both of them as soon as I come up with a decision i will let you guys know.
As for selling this baby ... I hope I will never have to sell it because I am in love with it .
I will use it for big game as much as I can and the rest of the time it will be displayed right next to my trophies :)
The biggest problem I have is still being a turkish citizen I must have the guns registered in Turkey .
It is a huge problem to Import rifles in to Turkey and import tax is almost 100% .
Whatever is available in the Turkish market is very much I am limited to at the moment .
So I am constantly looking while I am getting your advice sooner or later I will own another Mauser actioned rifle to accompany me on my hunting trips .

here you go my friend .
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG

I am going to continue to be the contrarian.

Classic Euro swing mount. Not sure the exact maker, but they are extremely solid and dependable. And your gunmaker can match the case coloring on the action! It will look like it is growing out of that action. It is an amazing look if you have never seen one so configured.

At a certain age our eyes will not allow us to use traditional iron sights effectively. I may be wrong, but I suspect you are getting there along with me. You have a rifle with 250 meter capability which you are going to have to use as 40 - 70 meter club.

I assume you bought that lovely thing to use - not to sit at home as an art object. Then I would say, the hell with that logo and let that maker work his magic to mount that rifle with a first class piece of German glass. You will have an incredible rifle that is also extremely useful. And I suspect most of the "oh my God, don't scope it" group would be in equal awe were they to have seen it for the first time in case-colored mounts.

And yes, Oberndorf generally used the same actions on their civilian and military production lines before and after WWI. The civilian ones were typically embellished with logos, the military ones received production codes and acceptance stamps.

While I am sure your gunmaker would be delighted to build you another rifle, I would not hesitate an instant to have that one scoped.

After seeing the pics of the "possible" scope bases I'm doubly sure you made the right decision. Those screws (unless they are to be used for fitting purposes only) look like they were installed by an amateur.

Regarding the availability of 375 Ruger ammo in South Africa check with "Safari and Outdoors." They are a small retail chain (4 stores I believe) and perhaps the best source of hunting gear, firearms and ammo in SA. They have a web-site showing their inventory and a knowledgeable sales staff. We needed to pick up a few things for out hunt last August. Believe me, I was more than impressed with their extensive selection of ammo. If they do not carry the 375 Ruger and have no plans of getting it, I doubt that it will be available anywhere in SA. Let me know what you find out.

As an alternative, take a look a rifles in 9.3 x 74 and 9.3 x 62. Both have stellar reputations on African game and will do "most" of what a 375 can do. Either caliber could be substituted for the 375 in the three gun battery I previously mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross