More Than 1 Million Adult Women Hunt in U.S.

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
More Than 1 Million Adult Women Hunt in U.S.

When Evelyn David got her job at the Michigan Townships Association about 20 years ago, she said she told her boss that opening day of deer hunting season was like a national holiday to her.

The 66-year-old started hunting about 40 years ago, and it's always been a family affair.

About 10 of her family members - including children and grandchildren - planned to stay at her Sebewa Township farm house, near Portland, Saturday night. And today, they'll spread out on David's 140-acre property for the first day of Michigan's 2009 regular firearm season.

Springport Township 15-year-old Cassandra Bell doesn't have David's decades of experience, but she's done more hunting than one might expect from a teenager. She's hunted since age 12, but she began accompanying family members on hunting expeditions when she was about 5 years old.

"My family did it, and I just wanted to be able to say, 'I got my own deer,' " she said. "I'm the tomboy of the family."

David and Cassandra are among a growing percentage of female hunters in the United States, according to a 2006 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service survey.

Women make up about 9.26 percent of the total hunting population of 12.5 million people age 16 and older, and that number is growing slowly as female hunters have become more of an accepted part of modern culture.

No Longer Rare

Peggy Farrell, director of Stevens Point, Wis.-based Becoming an Outdoors-Woman, said she's noticed more women getting involved in hunting and more companies manufacturing hunting gear and clothing specifically for women.

"It's not such an anomaly anymore to see women participating," she said. "The fact that there are more images in the media of women hunters - that sends out a message to the public that says, 'Well, of course women can and should be able to do these things.' "

Farrell - whose nonprofit offers outdoor skills workshops and educational programs for women in 40 states, Canada and New Zealand - said most women hunt because they like the challenge, enjoy nature and gain satisfaction from getting their own food.

Source: Lansing State Journal

...Women are the group that we have to target for recruiting new hunters. I have 3 daughters , the youngest one hunts religiously, the oldest occassionaly & the middle one couldn't hardly kill a fly. But all 3 love to eat wild game & constantly raid my freezer if they have none! The middle ones husband finally took a hunters education course & is trying his first deer hunt this year - so far with no luck!
... In the past few years I have taught 2 different women how to shoot guns & they currently are always pestering me to take them shooting! I know it is just a matter of time until they both start hunting.
... The whole key is to start them out with small caliber guns & don't scare them or beat up their shoulders. After a decent group off the bench or a couple knocked over silhouettes or beer cans - it's amazing how competitive they become & the more they enjoy it! My friend Mindy claims my 22 & 22/250 as her guns. They don't beat her up and she shoots them well. She even likes my 30/06 but she gets a sore shoulder on occassion so it's one she shoots when more clothing is needed.
... I had gotten to the point from years & years of competitive shooting where I damn near hated going to the range. Now that I have some ladies that are enjoying shooting , I have gotten much more out of it as I get to watch the results of my teaching. And oh daughter # 3 with her skills of shooting a hand gun can raise hell with my ego as she has become mighty fine in the silhouette game & likes to shoot some friendly- or not so friendly competition.
... In my mind women are the future of hunting & shooting! Take the time to teach them slow & correct & you may have a new shooting partner that just may rekindle your own passion for shooting!!

Agreed ,right up until the point in time where they start suing for sexual assault, discrimination and equal whatever rights and accommodations-lol. But all kidding aside, the more responsible hunters the better. There are issues for some women when it comes to clothes designed for the female physique, the behavior of men when they purchase firearms, or treatment in camp while out in the field. It’s certainly important to not give them too heavy a recoiling firearm; or anyone for that matter. Other than that, history has often proven it’s a great thing when the ladies join in.

Last edited:
I agree I started my hunting career with a 375 then moved up to 404
450/400 now i shoot a 470
I think women and kids should never be made scared of recoil as our future in hunting lies with them!

There are issues for some women when it comes to clothes designed for the female physique, the behavior of men when they purchase firearms, or treatment in camp while out in the field. It’s certainly important to not give them too heavy a recoiling firearm; or anyone for that matter. Other than that, history has often proven it’s a great thing when the ladies join in.

Overall in most modern cultures guns and hunting are male sports. Oh, there are many women who hunt but maybe they total 5% of hunters? In the USA there are many more women who are starting to shoot. I think predominately because they are "arming" themselves with a carry handgun.

Below is my wife "hamming" it up @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS with my Heym 88B .458 behind a giraffe I culled. She is getting a few steps closer to overcoming lifelong cultural norms and want to learn to shoot and hunt. A female PH would probably help her take another step into our world.

Chi Heym Giraffe.jpg

Overall in most modern cultures guns and hunting are male sports. Oh, there are many women who hunt but maybe they total 5% of hunters? In the USA there are many more women who are starting to shoot. I think predominately because they are "arming" themselves with a carry handgun.

Below is my wife "hamming" it up @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS with my Heym 88B .458 behind a giraffe I culled. She is getting a few steps closer to overcoming lifelong cultural norms and want to learn to shoot and hunt. A female PH would probably help her take another step into our world.

View attachment 514550[/

I think hunting with a woman Ph will give her confidence .
I have hunted dangerous game in zimbabwe for the last 18 years.

090cfaf5-743a-4011-a599-c1de356e8f4e.jpg

Everything I do in life revolves around hunting. I'm either hunting, working to make money to hunt, thinking about hunting, planning to hunt, reading about hunting, or writing about hunting. My daughter is the most adventurous person I know. She'll jump on a plane, sleep on the ground, run 26 miles in the woods, climb a mountain, take a boat...you get the picture but in all this she's always had pretty much zero interest in hunting. My son could stay in the house 24/7. About the only time he gets out is to hunt but he loves hunting and fishing to a lesser extent.

I know that's only two data points but I really think there's a much greater propensity for those assigned male at birth to like hunting. (Yes, I did that on purpose for the woke crowd).

I am way for women to hunt. But here are some discouraging facts about hunting in the US. In 2020, hunters represented only 4.6 percent of the U.S. population. Even at the 1982 peak, hunters only represented 7.2 percent of the U.S. population based on hunting license sales. So 1 million woman hunters is around 0.3 percent. Sadly we hunters men and women are a dying breed.

Never give up, never quit, never give in. We as hunters are responsible for bringing new life to this tradition.

Agreed ,right up until the point in time where they start suing for sexual assault, discrimination and equal whatever rights and accommodations-lol. But all kidding aside, the more responsible hunters the better. There are issues for some women when it comes to clothes designed for the female physique, the behavior of men when they purchase firearms, or treatment in camp while out in the field. It’s certainly important to not give them too heavy a recoiling firearm; or anyone for that matter. Other than that, history has often proven it’s a great thing when the ladies join in.
Wow, I know things can really be lost in translation in text vs. in person. And you did add a lol.... But you opened that post with what appears to be a finely tuned ability to get off on the wrong foot with the Ladies. lol

And BTW, my wife shoots her 404 Jeffrey just fine, now that it has been modified to fit her. Yes most hunting gear is designed for men, thankfully several companies have made at least a small attempt to accommodate women. I truly enjoy the company of my wife and love having her along! She is outgoing and has a razor sharp wit. And I'm proud to say she's often the best shot around. And she is a fine lady who can rock a sexy dress and high heals. Or throw on her hunting boots and go kill stuff!

She has overcome finding proper fitting clothes by simply buying what works for her. Probably takes more effort than for men but she really is not opposed to shopping until she finds what she needs;) In a past life she was told that cheap garbage for gear was good enough for "her". Like cheap crap hunting boots that had no support. She just could not do the walking in them.. She now has a pair as good as any man's. She has top quality optics, rifles that fit her including a couple doubles and Rigby Highland Stalker she can shoot accurately and fast if need be. In 9.3x62 no less! The stock on this one had to be cut to fit but Rigby does make a Women's version of the Highland Stalker!

As for behavior of salesmen, I pity the man that pulls some of that crap on @Just Gina

Think about if roles were reversed and most rifles were designed for women and men had to "get by" or modify them to fit....Of course women have different requirements. Thank the good Lord they do! ;)
Why is it that men can have $400 boots but women should get by with $50 crap? If a woman is going to hunt or do anything outdoors, they should outfit themselves properly.

The picture is way out in the wilds of Tanzania.
20211006_191347.jpg

It is also important that jerks like you refrain from speaking of what you do not know.

I love to hunt, but the main reason I still hunt as much as I do is because my wife loves to hunt even more than i do. Come to think of it, she likes to fish more than i do to.
She is retiring in May, and it looks like a bass boat will be her retirement present.

Edit to add: I spend top dollar on everything she needs to hunt, from clothing, boots, rifles, scopes and crossbows. I agree that women (and children) shouldn't have inferior equipment.
1. Her Savage Ladyhunter rifle with a Leupold HD scope is a most prized possession.
2. Her Ravin crossbow I bought her, which back then was the only available easy to crank/cock crossbow was a big purchase, but worth it. She has MS and needed something she could handle herself because she doesn't want to depend on me for everything.
3. Great, warm clothing, boots, and wind/waterproof jackets=- top quality.

She had never fished or hunted before she met me. Started fishing, loved it. sat with me hunting and enjoyed, eventually deciding she was also a hunter. She's been to Africa twice and wants to go back.
She's done a few western hunts, but hiking for many miles is no longer doable for her due to MS.
She is a trooper, though, and toughs everything out the best she can.

Last edited:
Wow, you guys took a 14 year old thread and fired it back up!!!
All it took was cleaning the gunk out of the carburetor and adding fresh gas;) OH and a couple spark plugs:)

Edit to add: I spend top dollar on everything she needs to hunt, from clothing, boots, rifles, scopes and crossbows. I agree that women (and children) shouldn't have inferior equipment.

I can attest.. Mrs Savage Hunter does indeed love to hunt.. and.. she is indeed deadly with that Ravin Xbow..

I also spend FAR more money on making sure my wife has quality kit than I spend on myself.. I tend to be happy with reasonable quality "working" grade gear.. while the wife leans more toward premium.. i.e. I shoot winchester.. she shoots kimber.. most of my optics are leupold.. most of hers are Zeiss and Swaro.. I'll go to the field in a cheap pair of khaki cargo pants and a brown "camp" shirt we bought at Costgo.. She likes her sitka gear.. etc.. I shoot a 12 year old PSE bow.. she shoots a new, top shelf Matthews (designed for women).. Long before I ever bought a decent pair of "Africa" boots for myself, she was wearing courteneys.. etc..etc..

Now that our youngest daughter is showing an interest in hunting... we're taking the same route with her.. Im making sure she has comfortable/warm/dry clothing that fits her well.. good boots.. etc.. I want to make the sport as enjoyable as possible for her.. if she is fighting her gear while wet and/or cold and her feet hurt.. the likelihood that hunting will be a lifelong pursuit will diminish quickly..

Kids are the future.. and frankly we need all of the people (men, women, children.. doesn't matter) we can get to be passionate about hunting.. or we risk loosing it all within the next couple of generations I fear..

In terms of being able to handle a heavy recoiling rifle... I don't see a woman being any different than a man.. there are plenty of small statured men that know how to handle a big boom stick.. and plenty of large statured men that get the hell beat out of them by anything 30-06 or larger... if a 5'6" 140lb man can handle a .338 WM with no problem (like a dear friend of mine does).. a 5'6" 140lb woman can handle it as well.. its just a matter of training and experience..

FWIW my wife handles a .375 H&H, a .35 Whelen, and her little 5lb .308 (the hardest kicker of the bunch actually) just fine.. While I have talked to plenty of large framed men that wont even touch one of my large bores for fear of the recoil..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross