More Than 1 Million Adult Women Hunt in U.S.

We need more huntresses. My wife is absolutely deadly. You name it, she can shoot it. She shot for Hoyt in HS and college and taught me alot about archery. Plus, I hate taking her shed hunting because she absolutely whoops me. The downside is, she's not that into hunting. If I had her skills and my drive, I'd be a straight up killer.

Maybe some of the women on here can chime in, but one of the problems my wife encountered was finding hunting clothes made for women. I mean hunting clothes that fit and that don't make her look Whisky Tango because of all the pink. For years, we looked for clothes for her. She and I are built alike and she's not that tall (think defensive end, but only 6'1"ish....and, no, "defensive end" is not an insult; I never liked twigs) but men's clothes don't fit female hips and the women's clothes were garbage and were too short. It still blows my mind that quality isn't available. Maybe I'll start a clothing line....

But back to the topic, I am all for encouraging more women and girls to get into hunting and shooting.
I am not that tall. 5’5” (maybe five and a half.)However I have long arms and legs. I buy small or extra small men’s shirts for the sleeve length if I cannot find a suitable “ladies” shirt. And I also like having a full length shirt. I am not a 5 year old and I tuck in my shirt when hunting. I do not want or need a short top. Personal preference of course. I can wear men’s or women’s pants. Hips are not an issue and I have to have a belt with either. I found a brand I like (prana) and if it is cargo pants she likes, I suggest heading to where they sell pants for Paramedics and EMTs because they have pants that I have heard little complaints from hard to fit bodies and even a “unisex” type line. My bug suit is a youth small from the men’s section. I am not opposed to buying kids clothes or men’s/boys clothes if they fit well. It is hard enough to get me in anything camo, I personally will not wear pink, purple, or blue “camo”.

I think I am going to start a thread for ladies where men and women here can share ideas and brands of clothes and shoes that they like or even creative ideas to make our female population more comfortable in the field!

It is hard enough to get me in anything camo, I personally will not wear pink, purple, or blue “camo”.
But Babe, how are you going to successfully hunt the flamingos without pink camo!? ;)
20210824_193522.jpg

@WillMFerguson
Here are the pants. They have a drawstring in addition to the buttons and zipper. They also roll up like crop or capri pants and have straps and snaps to hold them. Pardon the blood stain on the knee. I gashed my knee open on a rock hunting one year.
60BDC2DD-9CEB-4778-8974-2DD181CFE773.jpeg

0EE49B10-140C-4988-89D5-CAE7DC355B94.jpeg

@WillMFerguson
Here are the pants. They have a drawstring in addition to the buttons and zipper. They also roll up like crop or capri pants and have straps and snaps to hold them. Pardon the blood stain on the knee. I gashed my knee open on a rock hunting one year.
View attachment 515085
View attachment 515086
Thank you very much! Some of the guys out archery hunting love those Pranas. My wife and I both wear 36" inseam, but when she puts on mine, I have to force myself not to laugh because the bottoms don't quite reach her ankles. I think that for hunting pants, she needs a 38" inseam.

I am not that tall. 5’5” (maybe five and a half.)However I have long arms and legs. I buy small or extra small men’s shirts for the sleeve length if I cannot find a suitable “ladies” shirt. And I also like having a full length shirt. I am not a 5 year old and I tuck in my shirt when hunting. I do not want or need a short top. Personal preference of course. I can wear men’s or women’s pants. Hips are not an issue and I have to have a belt with either. I found a brand I like (prana) and if it is cargo pants she likes, I suggest heading to where they sell pants for Paramedics and EMTs because they have pants that I have heard little complaints from hard to fit bodies and even a “unisex” type line. My bug suit is a youth small from the men’s section. I am not opposed to buying kids clothes or men’s/boys clothes if they fit well. It is hard enough to get me in anything camo, I personally will not wear pink, purple, or blue “camo”.

I think I am going to start a thread for ladies where men and women here can share ideas and brands of clothes and shoes that they like or even creative ideas to make our female population more comfortable in the field!
The fitment on hips is an issue. Even when we can find hunting pants that are long enough (barely), the men's pants aren't big enough in the hips and rear end.

@Just Gina, I get the impression from more than a few women that the best that most women can hope for is hunting clothing that is just "ok" and that it isn't too uncomfortable. That's sad and disappointing. Anyway, this thread kind of lights a fire under me and I'll talk to some other huntresses. Not to get too personal, but I think a good pair of hunting pants for women would have some overlapping areas that would stretch, so that during times of weight fluctuation (I'm being serious and not trying to be offensive; please don't shoot me, ladies), the woman wouldn't need to get a new pair of pants. Maybe like darts, as in the clothing/sewing term?

Also, for hunting out west, we use bino bras a lot. That's another area where the huntresses have been neglected. I think everyone here knows what I'm talking about. My go-to is an Alaska Guide Creations, which works for my wife, if she just uses the webbing system. But, when she tries to throw on the Stalker Hydration Pack, it's no bueno because it is too tight and too loose in the wrong spots. The S4 Gear Lockdown System is a brand that works alright, but it's just for binos and doesn't have pockets for knives, windcheckers, etc., which is why I upgraded to the AGC.

This is a friggin' rabbit hole....

Thank you very much! Some of the guys out archery hunting love those Pranas. My wife and I both wear 36" inseam, but when she puts on mine, I have to force myself not to laugh because the bottoms don't quite reach her ankles. I think that for hunting pants, she needs a 38" inseam.
@WillMFerguson
You are quite welcome!
I just measured mine. On the tag of my pants I posted they state they are “tall”. I just measured them. The inseam is 35” WITHOUT me stretching the leg at all. I tuck my pants into my socks and wear gaiters and Crispi boots. I am unsure about lengths of men’s or perhaps a different “cut” of ladies what the inseam would be.
The fitment on hips is an issue. Even when we can find hunting pants that are long enough (barely), the men's pants aren't big enough in the hips and rear end.

@Just Gina, I get the impression from more than a few women that the best that most women can hope for is hunting clothing that is just "ok" and that it isn't too uncomfortable. Not to get too personal, but I think a good pair of hunting pants for women would have some overlapping areas that would stretch, so that during times of weight fluctuation (I'm being serious and not trying to be offensive; please don't shoot me, ladies), the woman wouldn't need to get a new pair of pants. Maybe like darts, as in the clothing/sewing term?

Also, for hunting out west, we use bino bras a lot. That's another area where the huntresses have been neglected. I think everyone here knows what I'm talking about. My go-to is an Alaska Guide Creations, which works for my wife, if she just uses the webbing system. But, when she tries to throw on the Stalker Hydration Pack, it's no bueno because it is too tight and too loose in the wrong spots. The S4 Gear Lockdown System is a brand that works alright, but it's just for binos and doesn't have pockets for knives, windcheckers, etc., which is why I upgraded to the AGC.

This is a friggin' rabbit hole....

Ok. Being a neuro/trauma ICU nurse, there is nothing about anatomy or body parts that is too personal or offensive to me. :giggle:
The prana pants I own are 97% nylon 3% elastase (spandex).
I purchased regulars and talls because I had no time for returns and such before I left to go hunting. I had major open abdominal surgery and was not released from my surgeon to go hunting. I had 4 hernia repairs (without mesh) so it was quite extensive. I went hunting anyway. I still had to wear my abdominal binder so I had to size up on my pants.
Flash forward a few years, I am still using the same pants. They are on a regular basis quite “roomy” on me, however, women are blessed (not) with the ability to wake up 4-12 pounds heavier than when they went to bed at times, thanks to female hormones, water retention, etc. It just is what it is and we need to plan accordingly.
So I may have ran around the block to explain and caused a few men to read this with their faces red and burning but it is just a normal every day thing women face.
These pants have plenty of “give” for such fluctuations and move “with you” for lack of a better term? Great thing is, they have a great return policy, at least then, and I really like their items I have tried. I say try them and walk around, bend, squat see how they feel. If they do not work, return/exchange.
I have a Sitka Bino harness. (not sure the technical term) I love it. Everything is adjustable on it.
It is a little comical, I was voicing my frustration (complaining) that I never had something, or a “thing” did not exist that I could carry my Swarovski Binos and other things and be comfortable and fit over my chest (boobs) comfortably but not be in the way. This sits wherever I want it which is usually just above my waist. Around the waist strap and shoulder straps are ALL completely adjustable! When Bob surprised me with this and told me to try it, I was pleasantly surprised! Used it for my 21 day hunt in Tanzania!

363D26E6-5236-4DB1-9F36-AC70E1EBF671.jpeg
I am seriously going to make a ladies thread before the end of the weekend.
We ladies and our husbands/significant others/etc need proper resources to help with the obstacles we ladies face in a predominantly male market!

It DOES matter to have things that work well for you when hunting. Male or Female!
:)

Last edited:
i think it was a savage, i,ll try to get a picture of it.
I tried a Savage Lady Hunter. The stock length and shape just did not fit me well at all.
I think it is GREAT that manufacturers are making an attempt to make things that are for women. The good and bad of it is that we are not all made exactly the same.
I also love that all you men are chiming in with stories and examples of what works and does not with your wives.
My little Lilly (granddaughter I raised the first 4 years of her life) goes hunting with her dad. She will be 9 this coming August. I make some things for her to make her more comfortable when she is out and about. I made her blaze orange ear warmers and I get her clothes and shoes, but I want her to have items available to her that makes her more comfortable; now and moving forward!

Finding hunting clothes for Mama is always an adventure. The few companies that claim to make hunting clothing designed for women are much higher priced than comparable men's clothing.

The companies that Mama has successfully bought hunting clothes from are:
5.11 Tactical (they have a women's line and run good sales)
Duluth Trading Company (women's line)
Columbia and Academy's brand that is similar.
She Outdoors when you can catch it on sale at Cabela's or Bass Pro after hunting season. Otherwise, their prices are ridiculous.

For boots she wears Courtney's, Merrels or a pair of comfortable tennis shoes.

Safe hunting

I agree I started my hunting career with a 375 then moved up to 404
450/400 now i shoot a 470
I think women and kids should never be made scared of recoil as our future in hunting lies with them!
Even some men don’t react well to recoil. You see posts on various forums by lots of guys saying they hate recoil. Look at the long range guys that want light recoil. Sure it helps to spot their shot , but they always mention light recoil. Especially the ones that sustain physical debilitations such as neck,wrist, concussive, detached retina, etc. Anyway, we need more people to engage in shooting/ hunting, no matter what age or gender. For decades I’ve spent lots of time encouraging children and women to come out hunting and shooting.
I’ve spent lots on ammo, and heavy usage of my guns doing so. I have a couple burned out barrels to prove it. Welcome all,especially the ladies who’ve always thanked and commended me for taking the time to work with them at the range and out in the field.

@Just Gina: thank you, again. Have the straps on the Sitka harness worked well on extended hunts? I saw those harnesses at Scheels the other day and thought abt buying one to try.

My wife, this a.m., "I love the Prana material, but they don't fit my curves--my calves, thighs, or butt." I may just have to get a few pairs and have my hunting partner's wife do some tailoring; that woman is a wizard with clothing.

@SFRanger7GP: Nice. Thx. I hadn't thought of Duluth. As for boots, we've had good luck with Asolos for mountain hunting.

@Vinootz: Agreed. I've been surprised at how many ppl wanted to go shooting, but had never been asked. I'm admittedly recoil sensitive until something needs to die. The wife? Doesn't notice recoil. I heard women tend to handle recoil better than men....not sure where I heard that.

@Just Gina: thank you, again. Have the straps on the Sitka harness worked well on extended hunts? I saw those harnesses at Scheels the other day and thought abt buying one to try.

My wife, this a.m., "I love the Prana material, but they don't fit my curves--my calves, thighs, or butt." I may just have to get a few pairs and have my hunting partner's wife do some tailoring; that woman is a wizard with clothing.

@SFRanger7GP: Nice. Thx. I hadn't thought of Duluth. As for boots, we've had good luck with Asolos for mountain hunting.

@Vinootz: Agreed. I've been surprised at how many ppl wanted to go shooting, but had never been asked. I'm admittedly recoil sensitive until something needs to die. The wife? Doesn't notice recoil. I heard women tend to handle recoil better than men....not sure where I heard that.
You are quite welcome! Having garments tailored is a great idea. I do not tailor clothing as well as my mother, however my mother is like that with clothing too!! It’s nice.

Regarding the harness, yes. 21 days in Tanzania. I REALLY like it. Bob also got me another harness recently, Rick Young outdoors Bino harness. I have always wanted one, I love them. Completely adjustable!
My Sitka one has more protection and the extra compartments with is super handy!

Bob also got me another harness recently, Rick Young outdoors Bino harness. I have always wanted one, I love them. Completely adjustable!

My wife and daughter both use the Rick Young harness (as do I)… both are completely sold on it… won’t use anything else..

We’ve got 4 sets of binos in the house ranging from 8x32 to 10x42… all sport a Rick young harness… they pretty much work for any small to mid sized bino on just about any body shape and size..

My Ma was a competition Archer 1968, she called it a takedown. Recurve perhaps?
She got me into the firearm fold when I was young.
Always used them for harnesses.

My wife was a non hunter when we married, she was raised to believe that hunting was only for men, and that it was really just a drunken binge not really hunting. I talked her into going with me once and she has gone most times since. A few years back I encouraged her to take hunter education so she could try hunting herself. She's not as Gung ho as me but she loves hunting now. Besides me, my early teen twin daughters are probably my best hunting buddies, the first animals they shot were South African blesbuck and impala. I would definitely prefer to hunt with my ladies anyday over male friends.

My 25 year old daughter has never shown interest in hunting until June of last year. She came to SA with us and decided she wanted to hunt. After a little session on the sticks, she took a beautiful Impala. She recently figured out that muzzleloader season for Whitetail was open and she took this old buck with a .45 cal Kentucky Rifle that I build from a kit in High School. She has fallen in love with the sport so much so, that she is taking her photography skills back to SA this year and will be photographing and filming hunts.

20230606_155420-01.jpeg

Photo Jan 15 2024, 10 15 32 AM.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross