Mediums that perform

If its not DG I use a 35 Whelen, its been my go to cartridge for years. With bullets weights ranging from 180 to 310 grain everything under 2000 pounds is on the menu. If you like hunting before you pull the trigger use a 35 Whelen, if you enjoy hunting for small speck of blood with a flashlight after you shoot stay away from the medimum bores.
Hmm, if the animal hasn't dropped in it's tracks I've never had a problem following a BIG blood trail and a short one at that using various medium bore rifles. Most times tracking isn't required.

I only have experience in Africa with a 300win mag. My first trip over this past June. I used 180accubond bullets hand loaded going just under 3000fps. I didn’t realize just how tough the animals were going to be. If I ever used a 300WM again I would definitely use heavier bullets or smaller animals. I think I only had one shot that was a pass thru, it was on a Zebra just shy of 200yards. They thought I missed it. Next shot was a frontal shot and they thought I missed again. I knew I hadn’t. There was no reaction from it at all. As it was running away I started to see the blood pumping out and it finally fell over. The sable did react to shot it was only 50-60yards away quartering to me. I drilled it low shoulder. I hit it once more, and another follow up shot afterwards. Waterbuck was right at 200yards. Hit it low front shoulder area and it reacted as well but was out of sight so fast it wasn’t funny. Perfect heart shot and it went 50-75 yards. My first purchase when I got home was a 9.3x62. Followed by a 375h&h, and last week I picked up a 338win mag. I don’t plan on taking a 300WM back to Africa, unless the kids want it for smaller stuff, but the small stuff they shot with a 6.5creedmoor and it did fine. We used 129long range accubonds, only one bullet was recovered from a blesbuck. They shot impala and blesbuck with it
Upgrade your 300WM bullets to a premium like the Swift A-Frame, Barnes TTSX/TSX, Federal TBBC or Norma Oryx and your results should improve over the Nosler AB.

That said, well done buying the 338WM, 9.3x62 and 375H&H. I doubt you will be under-gunned again for PG with that kind of battery. I'd still recommend using one of the premium bullets mentioned above for best results.

IMO - you have created a caliber ladder that your children can climb as their skills evolve. Walk them up slow and steady...before you know it they will be taking the 375 out of your hands. You started looking at a .400+ yet? ;)

I used 338 federal for first safari took impala kudu blue wildebeest blesbuck warthog here in northern BC 2 black bears whitetail deer, mule deer
338-06AI 2 Black-bear
338 win mag elk moose
9.3x62 black bear bison
350 Rem Mag black bear white tail deer
8mm Rem mag black bear coyotes
375 H&H elk black bear

All very capable cartridges 338 Federal Sako 185 TSX and 338-06AI 250 woodleigh custom Sako rifle
Lots of them and not known to be very friendly in the north but are an apex predator and your just an easy meal if not paying attention
You certainly have a lot of experience with medium bore rifles. If I understand your post they all work well. Do you like one more than others? Why?

Practiced shooting my 9.3x62 off sticks this weekend. Fifth hit on the 10" gong from about 120 yards ripped the 3/8" vulcanized rubber strap off the bolt, and those Hornady 286 gr left a couple dents in the AR500 steel. Guess I need to move back a bit.

Hi Guys,

For the purpose of this discussion I am talking about cartridges above .30 caliber and up to 375.

I enjoy shooting mediums, loading for them and shooting them, but I've only hunted the 375 H&H.
I'm pretty well versed in the ballistics involved but I would like to hear from those that have hunted the mediums enough to get a real feel for performance relative to the .30 calibers.

When do you see a real difference in on game performance - what cartridge and load?
I am taking about larger deer through eland - not dangerous game. The various pigs included.

The cartridges I'm generally thinking about are 338 Federal, 338-06, 35 Whelen, 9.3x62 and 375 H&H - but please discuss any medium you have hunted.

Thanks,
Bush Buck

I see you say this is for large PG and not DG…..but, is it possible you may hunt DG later? You should ask yourself this if you haven’t already.

My step up from a .300WM was to a .375HH. I have NO experience ever having so much as pulled the trigger on any of the .33/.35/9.3’s mentioned in this thread. As such, and given the fact many of these calibers are well proven, I have no intent on throwing shade on any of them.

But, if the answer to ever possibly hunting DG is yes and you don’t have a .375HH or larger, then there’s really only one logical choice and that is the 375HH.

On my recent hunt to Uganda, I took all my PG species with my .375. Overkill on the smaller animals? Most definitely. But understand that I don’t like to take more than 2 rifles with me. My other rifle was my .470NE which was for buffalo. The .375 was a backup in case something went wrong with the double and to be the primary PG rifle.

I can’t think of a more versatile caliber out there. The .416’s arguably are just as versatile, but no more than. With quality 300gr bullets (North Fork, A-Frame, Barnes, CEB, etc.) you have a 200 yard gun minimum for PG and a rifle that is more than just simply adequate for buffalo.

Now if you already have a DG rifle in a caliber that starts with a 4 or 5, well maybe the .375 is redundant, but again a fine backup DG rifle.

375H&H is my vote and was my only centerfire rifle in my safe for over a year. Excellent ammo availability and if you handload, there is a myriad of bullet options. This caliber has the added bonus of being universally DG legal if you see yourself doing that kind of hunt in the future. And if you are on this site...you will. ;)

Other excellent choices (in no particular order) would be the 375RUGER, 375WBY, 338-06, 338WM, 340WBY, 9.3x62, 9.3x64, 9.3x74R and of course the 35W. Hey @Bob Nelson 35Whelen - where the hell are you?!?!

Can you tell I like the long and magnum action cartridges?
If one could have only one rifle, the 375 can do it all. With CEB/TSX/A-Frames there is little that can’t be done. If I had to pick something in the middle of 30-375 it would be a 338 win mag but I haven’t found the need for it. All great Calibers but the 30-375 bookends cover it for me. Ironically I just bought an R8 375H/H from Mr BeeMa. He must have several.

.338 Marlin Express...

25 animals to include moose, caribou, kudu, impala, warthog, springbok, blesbok, and wildebeest over 10+ years.
@Tundra Tiger
Just goes to show you don't need a fire breathing magnum
Bob

You certainly have a lot of experience with medium bore rifles. If I understand your post they all work well. Do you like one more than others? Why?
It really depends on what rifle make I plan on using
Blaser R8 9.3x62 or 375 H&H
Sako with long or short action the 338-06 heavier bullet or 338 federal with 185 TSX both have Box magazines holding 5 rds

Traveling by air usually take Blaser R8 with two bbls one being 375 H&H if dangerous game on menu otherwise 9.3x62 other barrel 30-06 usually comes as ammo if it goes astray easier to find

I have limited experience with medium bores, but I have recently gotten a 9.3x62mm that I'll be using some this year. I have shot at many pigs, whitetail deer, and an Axis buck with a couple different 8x57mm Mausers. All were devastated by the 200 grain Hot-Cors or Accubonds . My Husqvarna 8x57mm is my "work gun". It's almost always what I take on hunting trips as my second rifle in case something happens to my other.

Since 2013 I’ve taken the majority of my game with a .375 Ruger, it has ranged from steenbok up to elephant and the only 2 animals that took more than a couple of steps after being hit was a lung shot Lichtenstein hartebeest and a Cape buffalo. The hartebeest went about 50 yds and the buff went about 10 yds. This encompasses about 50 animals. Most were taken with 300 grain DGX and 300 grain DGS with a few taken 270 grain soft nose. I did stumble across a great deal on a 338WM but haven’t shot anything with it yet but may try it out on a whitetail or hog this fall. The range on the animals went from 10 yds to 287yds.

I have limited experience with medium bores, but I have recently gotten a 9.3x62mm that I'll be using some this year. I have shot at many pigs, whitetail deer, and an Axis buck with a couple different 8x57mm Mausers. All were devastated by the 200 grain Hot-Cors or Accubonds . My Husqvarna 8x57mm is my "work gun". It's almost always what I take on hunting trips as my second rifle in case something happens to my other.
@Thedoveshooter
Wait until you try the 9.3 mate. If it as good as the Whelen the results on game will surprise you.
Load some 250gn accubonds to 2,700fps and watch game fall.

The .338 Win mag (elk and deer) has been one of my favorite rounds since the ‘80’s. However, the .338 RUM (black wildebeest, hartebeest, blesbok, gemsbok, eland and zebra) may have usurped it’s position.
The .357 Herrett (exotics and deer) in a handgun is a hammer.
The .375 H&H of course makes the list (impala and bushbuck).
The 9.3x74R was going to be used on a black bear hunt that got nixed by some health issues.
A 9.3x62 is in my near future.

I love my BDL in 270 Win loaded with 150 Partitions to just over 3000 fps. If I need something a little bigger I have my 7 1/2 lb (with scope) Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby. But honestly the 270 Win is perfect for anything in the lower 48. If I go to Africa or got to Alaska after the big bears I'll bring my 500 Jeffery.

375 Bee XCR II and 270 Win

7ymIhyM.jpg

500 Jeffery

BD0shRU.jpg

Last edited:
The .338 Win mag (elk and deer) has been one of my favorite rounds since the ‘80’s. However, the .338 RUM (black wildebeest, hartebeest, blesbok, gemsbok, eland and zebra) may have usurped it’s position.
The .357 Herrett (exotics and deer) in a handgun is a hammer.
The .375 H&H of course makes the list (impala and bushbuck).
The 9.3x74R was going to be used on a black bear hunt that got nixed by some health issues.
A 9.3x62 is in my near future.
@meigsbucks
The Whelen and 9.3x62 will kill game just as dead as both the 338WM and the 338RUM and do it with less fuss, bucking,roaring, flame throwing and muzzle blast.
The RUM may be useful for smacking critters way way out yonder but I prefer my RUM in a glass. Doesn't kick as much until you have had about 9 or 10 either.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!