Mediums that perform

In early America it was considered a small game rifle.
In early America they didn't have smokeless powder or jacketed bullets. So compared to the 4 and 8 bore rifles that were used for dangerous game my .54 caliber muzzle loader would be considered small. Those numbers don't really apply today.

I agree with Doug that, from an African hunting point of view, a medium is larger than .30 and smaller than .40. From a practical standpoint .338 to .375.
If my history is correct the 375 H&H has been the most popular and most widely available medium for about 75 years now (I'm speaking of it's international acceptance rather than it's introduction).

I find mediums to be useful and interesting but the only reason to use anything but the 375 H&H is because you want a handier rifle or less recoil - or you like to play with hunting rifles - like me.

I agree with Doug that, from an African hunting point of view, a medium is larger than .30 and smaller than .40. From a practical standpoint .338 to .375.
If my history is correct the 375 H&H has been the most popular and most widely available medium for about 75 years now (I'm speaking of it's international acceptance rather than it's introduction).

I find mediums to be useful and interesting but the only reason to use anything but the 375 H&H is because you want a handier rifle or less recoil - or you like to play with hunting rifles - like me.
The 40s are large mediums ending at .435 diameter. Big bores start at .458 caliber. I would start the medium bores at .323/8mm

The 40s are large mediums. Big bores start at .458 caliber. I would start the medium bores at .323/8mm

I think this is probably right, start with the 8x68/.325.

I am torn between two mediums; a highland stalker in 9.3x62 and a custom M70 in .375 H&H. Both have taken plains game and buffalo. I see no practical difference in terminal performance. The 9.3 is handier but the .375 is a stunning rifle and holds a lot of memories from Alaska to Africa. It’s a good thing we are not restricted on how many rifles we can own!

I think this is probably right, start with the 8x68/.325.

I am torn between two mediums; a highland stalker in 9.3x62 and a custom M70 in .375 H&H. Both have taken plains game and buffalo. I see no practical difference in terminal performance. The 9.3 is handier but the .375 is a stunning rifle and holds a lot of memories from Alaska to Africa. It’s a good thing we are not restricted on how many rifles we can own!
I would love to own a Highland Stalker one day! And Amen!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross