Mediums that perform

Since I started this thread, the 35 Whelen has become another favorite - alongside my 375 H&H.

I've taken 6 mature hogs with it. I've used both 180 and 200 grain ttsx and both worked well but the 180s killed a little faster.
What amazes me about the Whelen is the power relative to the recoil in a light, handy rifle (typical 30-06 size and weight).
I find it fun to shoot at the range with Barnes ammo and hand loaded equivalents.

If I was shooting 250 at 2700 fps I am sure that most of that fun would be gone!

On the other hand, 2700 fps using 250 ttsx is very tolerable and very effective in my 375 H&H which is built to handle more recoil.

Of course, if you built a heavier Whelen with a good recoil pad and a magnum contour barrel things would be different - the rifle matters too.

Bush Buck
@Bush Buck
My bean t daughter handles the 250s without a problem. To me it's great fun sending all that power down range and knowing what ever it hits is going to stay hit and hit hard.
Bob
 
I shot a cardboard target with a .243 the other day and it did very well.
@RedTag
I hope the cardboard died quickly. It's a lot tougher than a normal paper target and at the upper limit of the killing ability of the 243.
I've seen heavy card board boxes wounded thru lack of penetration and wander off to die a lingering death at the local waste disposal sight.
A few have turned up at recycling centres and the staff were very distressed by the sight of wounded boxes and needed counselling for the trauma.
Please don't use the 243 one anything bigger than PAPER TARGETS CARDBOARD IS PUSHING THE ENVELOPE.
Bob
 
I just love the .338WM and have owned a couple of them, both Winchester M70's.
Just a fantastic cartridge (y)

Have never owned or fired one but I really like the 340 Wby too.
Looking at the ballistics what an absolute hammer.
A mate had one and offered to lend it to me so I could shoot it - and I declined, kicking myself now... (n)
He also had a 460 Wby and offered me a shot of that and I also declined that as well... but I'm cool with that decision.

I also really like the 8mm Rem Mag. This stems after reading about it by the late, great Australian gun writer Nick Harvey.
After reading about it I've always wanted a synthetic stocked Rem 700 in 8mm Rem Mag... just a real pity the cartridge isn't really around anymore...

Russ
Hi Russ
I was a good friend of Nick's and hunted to world with him. This was never in print but after using the 338 he said he preferred it over the 8mm mag.
 
Hi Russ
I was a good friend of Nick's and hunted to world with him. This was never in print but after using the 338 he said he preferred it over the 8mm mag.
@K95
Ken
If my memory serves me correctly Nick's favorite was long throated and he was able to stoke it up to almost 340 capabilities and it was in a Whitworth magnum action. He really loved that rifle and what it would do.
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,945
Members
169,655
Latest member
NehuSinhi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top