Mark Sullivan shows us how to handle a Double Rifle

Come guys, he knows what he is doing, and even if you don't like his style you cant argue against his support of our sport. Some have said such brazen characters do our image no good - but the truth is if we hunted with plastic pink toy guns those who hate us would hate us all the same. No, toning down the hunting message does nothing. Conversely, the stronger we project, the better. So in-your-face Mark is just another arrow in our quiver, a different arrow for sure, but I would let him buy me a beer any time.

Come guys, he knows what he is doing, and even if you don't like his style you cant argue against his support of our sport. Some have said such brazen characters do our image no good - but the truth is if we hunted with plastic pink toy guns those who hate us would hate us all the same. No, toning down the hunting message does nothing. Conversely, the stronger we project, the better. So in-your-face Mark is just another arrow in our quiver, a different arrow for sure, but I would let him buy me a beer any time.

Yep Kevin, it takes all characters in any industry. My only pause for thought would be if it lead to tragic incidents. Other than that, if he's not a dick I'll buy him a beer.

Hey Zambezi, with a name like that you can buy us both a beer! By the way. I got the latest price list for Nyakasanga, their Post Covid special. The buff bull trophy fee at $5k is reasonable, but then they add $450 per day fee, minimum 10 days. Thats before the accommodation etc, add another $100 per person per day. So it ends up around the 11k mark. So we will probably drop Nyakasanga in favour of Chewore or Save. Pity.

First off, anyone who refers to himself in the third person and undeservedly berates all of his supposed fellow hunters that don’t see eye to eye with him is obviously very full of himself and a loudmouth.

Secondly, the fact that he has put what is tantamount to animal cruelty on video for the entire world to see is shameful and a disgrace to hunters everywhere and the sport. I would say he’s done far more harm than good by putting this crap out there. The leftist wack jobs would love this videos. I don’t care if he took one buffalo in one thousand in this manner. One is enough. Then to put it on video with an eye toward monetary gain cheapens the situation further.

He’s provided plenty of proof that he’s not a gentleman, definitely not an ethical hunter (per the videos) and once again, once is enough. I’m embarrassed by the fact that he’s an American. In the same way that South Africans should be if he were a South African. Or any nationality for that matter.

That's a great price for a trophy bull but like you say they additional fees tighten the screws a bit. but I don't think you can go wrong with either of the alternate venues.
I'll make you a deal, I'll buy you a beer you buy me a buffalo.....:Hilarious::Jawdrop::A Outta:

Mark Sullivan is a great person.
That ist absoluty correct.
I meet hom two times in Germany.
Each time, for ca. 7 days, we had great times. Talking, sports, shooting, business, pp.
He is a true hunter, patriotic american and big hearded human.

We hunted together 3 times and I’m glad for that.
Can you give us an Report please?
Pictures?

I got my info from Pano Calaveras and his partner while booking some hunts for them and Mark was involved with them, Ive known Pano for a long time and his partner, whom I have no patience with at all, he is a sleeze and that's a story unto itself..and a few others who have dealt with Mark, and I choose to believe them just as you believe Mark...but the bottom line is your right both of us are dealing with heresay and as a matter of fact its really none of my business...I will in the future give all parties a break and bow out of this subject for which I have no reasons to take sides, they can battle among themselves.. Thanks for the heads up..

A lot of people say that Mark Sullivan is a great person, but the criterion to say he is "great" is not necessarily incongruent with the statements that conclude he is not truly terrible.

Is he gregarious, charming, fun to have a beer with, and does he love hunting? I have no idea nor do I care, but I'll take all his "friends and fans" word that if this is the definition of great they are using for their support for the man, he probably is absolutely great.

But is he hypocritical, conflicted, bad for the sport, and exhibits sociopathic tendencies? His videos suggest yes if that is really what he believes. If he doesn't believe what he says (possible) then he's just a self-aggrandizing profiteer endangering the future of our sport to make a buck, all while encouraging some pretty diabolical ideas.

I wrote a thoughtful review of one of his many videos on this forum. I encourage you to read the review and the synopsis of his ideology and then decide as informed readers:

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...-my-feet-reviewed-and-ethics-evaluated.28731/

I lasted 4.07 minutes
Good grief

Mark Sullivan is a great person.
That ist absoluty correct.
I meet hom two times in Germany.
Each time, for ca. 7 days, we had great times. Talking, sports, shooting, business, pp.
He is a true hunter, patriotic american and big hearded human.

We hunted together 3 times and I’m glad for that.
Can you give us an Report please?
Pictures?

It’s been a long time...2008,2009 and 2011. One day I will write about that

DSCN0457.JPG

DSC01518.JPG

DSCN1226.JPG

Secondly, the fact that he has put what is tantamount to animal cruelty on video for the entire world to see is shameful and a disgrace to hunters everywhere and the sport. I would say he’s done far more harm than good by putting this crap out there....

He’s provided plenty of proof that he’s not a gentleman, definitely not an ethical hunter (per the videos) and once again, once is enough. I’m embarrassed by the fact that he’s an American...

Which is more ethical, shooting a buffalo then taking 30+ minutes for it to "stiffen up" and then approaching and finishing it off or going after it right away to finish it off? In regards to an animal suffering I'd submit the former method causes more animal suffering.

Main difference in the two methods is that Mark's is there for the world to see in videos which obviously brings up negative feelings in some and probably not the best public relations for the non-hunting public. To those I'd say suck it up, the anti-hunters are not going to care how you hunt as long as you hunt.

Which is more ethical, shooting a buffalo then taking 30+ minutes for it to "stiffen up" and then approaching and finishing it off or going after it right away to finish it off? In regards to an animal suffering I'd submit the former method causes more animal suffering.

Main difference in the two methods is that Mark's is there for the world to see in videos which obviously brings up negative feelings in some and probably not the best public relations for the non-hunting public. To those I'd say suck it up, the anti-hunters are not going to care how you hunt as long as you hunt.

The classic "but Hitler made the trains run on time" argument.

Actually, it was Mussolini.

However, good job using the "Hitler card" in trying to make a point. ;)

It was an exaggeration meant to punctuate the point. Defending a fellow sportsman under the premise that "even if he's a terrible guy, he's our guy" isn't reasonable. Further to that, if someone is acting unethically, supporting him because if we don't, our enemies will pounce, is not a moral high ground position.

The morality of hunting needs to have some basic elements:

1.) Respect for human life
2.) Avoidance of unnecessary peril to all parties when possible
3.) Utility in the act of killing animal life
4.) To produce minimal suffering

I believe Mark Sullivan fails three of the four of those basic tenants:

1.) He creates needlessly unsafe hunting conditions
2.) He exacerbates perils by seeking charges for the thrill
3.) *Here I'm assuming he is bringing revenue, tourism, wildlife management, and nutrition through the take of game.
4.) He protracts trauma to the animal when a swift death would be otherwise possible.

Now I have to decide if I will defend his conduct for fear of the Anti's latching on to us dividing amongst ourselves, OR I can rebuke his conduct so as to not be lumped with him in his value system. I have to go with the latter, as did DSC, and SCI, and a lot of other groups as pertains to this fellow.

I go back to his own words and actions and a fairly balanced assessment of his belief system. His values and beliefs are bizarre and incongruent with one another. https://www.africahunting.com/threa...-my-feet-reviewed-and-ethics-evaluated.28731/

The following is all in jest:
Personally I just don't like the way he mispronounced binoculars. Other than that I don't have any issue with someone else shooting my game for me.
When one hunts with him is it required to closely emulate him? Do you get to shoot the big double? Is the hat free or does it cost more?
There's just so much of a good thing here.

My question after watching some of these videos is if he's such a great shot why does he have to wound and invoke a charge. With that shoulder fired howitzer he brags about it seems to me that one well placed shot at the ranges he shoots should be sufficient. Looks like he intentionally wounds so he can play big shot(no pun intended) and look good for the camera. Very unethical and dangerous to all concerned. Something and someone I want no part of.

My question after watching some of these videos is if he's such a great shot why does he have to wound and invoke a charge. With that shoulder fired howitzer he brags about it seems to me that one well placed shot at the ranges he shoots should be sufficient. Looks like he intentionally wounds so he can play big shot(no pun intended) and look good for the camera. Very unethical and dangerous to all concerned. Something and someone I want no part of.

Precisely. Statistics will demonstrate quite obviously that he is abusing the animals. How?

-While charges are quite rare in several studies of professional hunters in Africa, including the one done by Boddington in his book, Sullivan ends up with a HUGE amount of charges overall. I think Sullivan stated some number such as 15%, 30%, or some such number result in a charge.

-Generally, Professional hunters face charges infrequently, but eventually, get killed by a charge. Its not as though the PHs see thousands of charges typically and then survive them all. They see dozens of charges and then the PH gets killed by a charge while protecting the client.

So squaring those two points, how can Mark Sullivan be the world's worst first-shot PH missing his mark so frequently and then become the world's best second-shot PH dropping the charging animals at close range? Truly, an anomaly...unless he's actively working to get the the animals injured so he can play with them awhile longer.

I'll give Sullivan this credit, he is an amazing, excellent 2nd shot PH.

Hi Rookhawk, Just before Liesl went to hunt those two buffalo we were talking to Lou H. he made the comment that so many young hunters start out with a bolt rifle and end up with a double, why do you think that is? It is because it is your life insurance policy! In the case of the two buffalo that she shot one went down in a short distance. The other a very nice about 12yr. old bull went almost a kilometre with a bullet hole from a 450-.400 through the center of its heart, but no charge. Only one barrel needed for that particular buffalo. She did remark that she wished she had a Heym .470 N. She loves her Heym 88B.

To reply to Roothawk's comment on a "HUGE" amount of charges. In 16 years Mark recorded 8 buffalo charges and 6 hippo charges. All of the hippo were unwounded. Buffalo were wounded...by clients. Those are the facts of his videos. In 2013 when recovering from a knee replacement I watched each of his videos and took notes. The emotion over what Mark does magnifies the facts. When I did the tabulations on his videos I asked those I know about the number of his charges. Answers varied from "dozens," to "fifty plus," to "a hundred or more," to "more times than I can count." Mark does generate emotion in several facets. Many PHs are just plain jealous over several things: his books and videos that sell by the thousands, the endless stream of clients that wish to hunt with him, the quality of trophies he produces, and the quality of his firearms to name a few. I will submit again Mark has found a style and persona that was never done prior and it worked. To the comment what he does is for the almighty dollar, well, I don't know anyone in any profession who works to break even. Every critival comment of Mark comes 100% from those that have never talked to him. It's like the hatred of Trump--it seems to be the in thing to do. I have had 21 safaris to date in Africa and met numerous gents in the hunting camps and the comments are endless: "Mark has been kicked of several countries for game violations," "He shoots his buffalo in the nuts to make them charge," He drugs his animals so he an shoot close up," "His clients must sign a paper stating they can't mention the scrotum shooting. " And, I'm still waiting on Ray's documentation of all the countries Mark was kicked out of on both sides of the pond.

If you gents would like, if I can find the articles I wrote on Mark with facts, nor hearsay, I can post them here. I doubt I can put the photos in but the print should set the record straight to those who will read with an open mind.
Cheers, fellas.
Cal

Gents;
I found the article and the details of 10 of Mark's films. I will be in the city tomorrow and maybe thenext day but I will post them. The only difficulty I see is the table of each film detailing the shots, charges, etc. I will try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg