Manton double rifle

DEFYET

AH member
Joined
May 7, 2015
Messages
45
Reaction score
113
Media
12
I recently acquired a Manton double rifle and was wondering if there was a way to research its history? I'm not aware of Manton having a ledger so not sure if there is another way to gather some information. All I know is that its circa 1880
 
  • Like
Reactions: WAB
Might be worth reaching out to Purdey. James Purdey was an apprentice to Joseph Manton. I know they bought the Manton properties so you never know they might be able to help
 
Contact @cal pappas , our resident expert on old double rifles. He likely will have some answers for you. If not I may have a friend in Arkansas that I "believe" owns one. Although he is in his late 70s and the virus has kept him at home for the past 6 months. But if Cal can't help you, let me know and I'll try to contact the friend.
 
Good day, fellas. I would give a year off my life to see Manton's ledgers. I don't have a clue as to where they may be.
 
I don't think we can put an email address on the posts. If it gets deleted, send me a PM and I will reply.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DEFYET ...I made phone contact with my friend about the Joseph Manton guns. He knows of them but does not own one. So my mistake. I hope you fine all the info you are looking for....Then Post It for the rest of us!!!!!!!!
 
Not sure that it will help but here are a few links to articles related to Joseph Manton:

- Vintage British Shotguns: A Shooting Sportsman Guide - Page 19 - By Terry Wieland · 2008: https://www.google.com/books/editio...&dq=Joseph+Manton&pg=PA19&printsec=frontcover

- Vintage Guns - By Diggory Hadoke · 2008: https://www.google.com/books/editio...&dq=Joseph+Manton&pg=PA22&printsec=frontcover

- Kings of the Rod, Rifle, and Gun - Volume 1 - Page 91: https://www.google.com/books/editio...&dq=Joseph+Manton&pg=PA91&printsec=frontcover

- Experts on Guns and Shooting - Page 285 - G. T. Teasdale-Buckell · 1900: https://www.google.com/books/editio...dq=Joseph+Manton&pg=PA280&printsec=frontcover
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,360
Members
169,532
Latest member
subsrotestheo1978
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top