Looking For Recommendations for Elephant

jgonzalez

Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
Hello everybody
I´m starting to do my research for elephant hunting next year (august). So far I´ve been offered a hunt in Zambia, 21 full days, in a concession near Kafue (i think). Thpe price is U$ 100.000, which I consider to be expensive. But I´m not sure of that right know. I hunted with that PH last year in SA, I have an excellent opinino of him but would like to do a bigger research for this hunt.
I´m looking for recommendations of a traditional stalking hunt, in big areas with sustainable herds. For me and my brother is more imprtant how the hunting is done than size of the trophy. That being said, we look forward for tusks around 40 lbs.
looking forward for recommendations, I ve sent a couple of messages for outfitters that are in AH, but I want to know what country is best right now
Best regards

I have seen elephant prices all over the place from $5,000 tuskless/problem animals up to your mentioned $100,000 hunt.

For $100K I would expect a big trophy 60#++ and also a buffalo and lots of other plains game thrown in gratis!

The big difference is price for a lot of these hunts is Importability to the USA. If that does not matter to you then I am sure you can find what you are looking for, for half that cost to even lower. If you have 2 hunters going you should easily get a deal.

to clarify was $100,000.00 USD for 2 hunters?

From my limited Elephant research is seems Zimbabwe has good prices, possibly smaller tusks? Botswana has a great reputation for lots of elephants. Zambia and Tanzania are just really expensive to hunt, travel to, but do have the chance at huge bulls. I have seen good things about Namibia which is a very stable "modern" country. I don't know much about Mozambique.

Were you planning on making it a full bag hunt in Zambia? 21 days for an elephant hunt is unusual. Also, I’m not sure of the hunting status of all concessions in Zambia right now, if you are going to book through a non-resident PH I’d get some commitments of what concession they plan to hunt and the current status of the lease on that area and when it expires. I personally think booking with a non-resident outfitter/PH in a foreign country is a mistake. There are good resident outfitters and PHs to buy direct from who will have more experience with their areas in their country.

Look at Charlton McCallum safaris in Zimbabwe. They have a great reputation and some very good areas. They also put a lot back into their areas from hunter’s dollars.

I’ll second @SETH RINGER, I’m booked to hunt buff and elephant with them in the Caprivi in 2025. They have been great to deal with in all aspects of getting this hunt out together. I am doing an own use/non-trophy elephant but they also do trophy/importable bulls and they kills some big bulls for sure.

I’m doing a plains game hunt with NKWE in Botswana in a month but recently saw a note from them they now have hunting access to a new concession in Botswana specifically for Ele. Bulls are importable and you should be looking at bulls over 50lbs + and they were charging either $60K or $65K

Search NKWE in deals and offers and you will the info on their Elephant hunt offer I mentioned above

You should look into Carl with Ndumo in the (formerly) Caprivi strip and also Leon with Save Safaris in Zimbabwe. Both have quality elephant herds and have a proven track record of taking old bulls. Good luck with your search and have a great time!

I was the lucky winner of the 2023 SCI Foundation $100,000 drawing. Elephant was my dream, but well out of my financial ability. After consulting with Corey Knowlton and Greg Brownlee, I was booked for Botswana. I’m not exactly sure how the partnership works, but I was booked with Mike Murray from African Field Sports in RSA, who partners with Clive Eaton of Tholo Safaris in Botswana.

I cannot say enough goods about African Field Sports and Tholo safaris. They treated me beyond well. I hunted with Riaan as my main PH, and Werner as the second PH in camp.

It was a dream come true and I got a good bull, 66x61 lbs, with a HUGE body, and a nice leopard as well.

I can’t say enough good things about African Field Sports and Tholo Safaris. I would recommend them without hesitation.

Good luck!
IMG_6584.jpeg

I was the lucky winner of the 2023 SCI Foundation $100,000 drawing. Elephant was my dream, but well out of my financial ability. After consulting with Corey Knowlton and Greg Brownlee, I was booked for Botswana. I’m not exactly sure how the partnership works, but I was booked with Mike Murray from African Field Sports in RSA, who partners with Clive Eaton of Tholo Safaris in Botswana.

I cannot say enough goods about African Field Sports and Tholo safaris. They treated me beyond well. I hunted with Riaan as my main PH, and Werner as the second PH in camp.

It was a dream come true and I got a good bull, 66x61 lbs, with a HUGE body, and a nice leopard as well.

I can’t say enough good things about African Field Sports and Tholo Safaris. I would recommend them without hesitation.

Good luck!View attachment 601404

Tholo Safaris is a fantastic Outfitter. Top notch the whole way!

HH

I’d definitely shop around.

I can point you to several different options this year or next at a fraction of the price, all of which are producing 40+ pound bulls. If you’re hunting a Full Bag then that’s different and explains the high total cost

1) Zim for a 1/3 the quoted price
2) Botswana for about 1/2 the price (unless you want to really chase giants)
3) Namibia for about 1/2 the price
4) Zambia for 1/2 the price
5) Tanzania for slightly less than your quoted price

All of these hunts are exportable bulls, all producing ivory over 40 pounds with chances of bigger. Several should produce over 60 pounds and there’s a Zim option that’s well under your projected cost but should produce over 60.

I’d definitely shop around.

I can point you to several different options this year or next at a fraction of the price, all of which are producing 40+ pound bulls. If you’re hunting a Full Bag then that’s different and explains the high total cost

1) Zim for a 1/3 the quoted price
2) Botswana for about 1/2 the price (unless you want to really chase giants)
3) Namibia for about 1/2 the price
4) Zambia for 1/2 the price
5) Tanzania for slightly less than your quoted price

All of these hunts are exportable bulls, all producing ivory over 40 pounds with chances of bigger. Several should produce over 60 pounds and there’s a Zim option that’s well under your projected cost but should produce over 60.
Looks like you have done some research! Have a hunt booked?

Good Day Sir

Tsala Safaris would like to recommend our areas in Zimbabwe and Mozambique.

Both the areas have sustainable herds and the areas are open with no fences to national parks.The hunting areas are 150 000 acres and bigger, open to larger areas, and both have strict hunting quotas.

Tsala Safaris have done the ground work for you.Spending money and time in the Zimbabwean area to make sure the area would be up to standard for our clients.We will also be by your side every step of the way in Zim ad Moz.

We own our Mozambique area and is very proud of that area.The area has a very old school feel taking you back to old Africa.

I will send you a pm with all the info and foto's of both areas.

You are more than welcome to contact me with any questions.

Regards

Rouan

Len Taylor takes some very big elephant in Zimbabwe. In fact, I haven’t heard of anyone else even coming close. I would not book a hunt without talking to Len.

Hello everybody
I´m starting to do my research for elephant hunting next year (august). So far I´ve been offered a hunt in Zambia, 21 full days, in a concession near Kafue (i think). Thpe price is U$ 100.000, which I consider to be expensive. But I´m not sure of that right know. I hunted with that PH last year in SA, I have an excellent opinino of him but would like to do a bigger research for this hunt.
I´m looking for recommendations of a traditional stalking hunt, in big areas with sustainable herds. For me and my brother is more imprtant how the hunting is done than size of the trophy. That being said, we look forward for tusks around 40 lbs.
looking forward for recommendations, I ve sent a couple of messages for outfitters that are in AH, but I want to know what country is best right now
Best regards
14 days is the norm for elephant unless you’re adding in other big game species.

Perhaps having 2 hunters is changing the scenario.

Is the $100k all in for both elephants?

I would recommend booking with a Zambia outfitter directly rather than through an agent.
That could impact the price too.

Congrats on that elephant!! A dream come true. Thank you very much for your recommendation

Werner Lombard by chance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne847393

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.