Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zambia
The mail carrier delivered this today from the devils workshop. 322 pages.

I keep repeating, I am a SAKO fan, I am a SAKO fan.

Image1615502925.962172.jpg

Careeeeeful now Careeeeeful......there’s danger in that book

I'm gonna do it one day. I still haven't grown out of my tacticool phase. I handled one for the first time a little ways back. After guys on here sent me down the rabbit role of looking at blaser. I'm just too chicken to take such a pretty piece of furniture into the bush. I like my polymers and plastics. I don't feel bad when I scratch it.

I got mine a couple of days ago as well. My daughter is kind of a fashionista at 9, looked through it and thought it was a "very nicely designed catalog".

I was picking one up at Cabelas El Paso about 5 or 6 months ago, and a guy was picking up a C Grade Remington 700 (really nice rifle). He asked about the R8, handled it and then said "what do they cost". I said $3200 like this with a synthetic stock. He had been on a couple safaris, and we spent about an hour there waiting on the firearms process talking about Namibia, South Africa and Botswana and where we are going next. He was a member of El Paso Safari Club and invited me when Covid was over to join the fray.

By the time we had departed he was already planning his first Blaser R8. The action is what got him. Then I told him about the barrels and interchangeability. He was in.

That's the thing about Blaser...Don't knock it until you try it. There are a lot of Blaser owners out there. For those who have actually owned them, then gone on to sell/trade/get rid of the Blaser...there isn't too much complaining about the experience. Maybe it wasn't wasn't what they thought or didn't want to adjust to a straight pull or just about anything else. But rarely do you hear complaints about quality or workmanship.

Those that currently own them sing their praises. And I freely admit to drinking the Kool-Aid.

All I can say is you can love your Sako and have a Blaser too. No one here will tell on you.

The mail carrier delivered this today from the devils workshop. 322 pages.

I keep repeating, I am a SAKO fan, I am a SAKO fan.

View attachment 392707
@wesheltonj
That is nothing short of sacrilege mate absolutely deplorable. That would be akin to sending me information on the 243. Them is fighting words and should be destroyed in 1 of two ways. Either burn the filth or use it for poop paper, but being slick a operation the poop probably would stick to the paper and must be burnt ASAP.
Bob.

That's the thing about Blaser...Don't knock it until you try it. There are a lot of Blaser owners out there. For those who have actually owned them, then gone on to sell/trade/get rid of the Blaser...there isn't too much complaining about the experience. Maybe it wasn't wasn't what they thought or didn't want to adjust to a straight pull or just about anything else. But rarely do you hear complaints about quality or workmanship.

Those that currently own them sing their praises. And I freely admit to drinking the Kool-Aid.

All I can say is you can love your Sako and have a Blaser too. No one here will tell on you.
Are you crazy. In today's day? No no. We must hate each other for liking different things lol.

I admittedly spent like 3 hours last night on blaser site again... The caliber swaps is really cool.

So I understand. The barrel is actually where the optics attach correct? So when you swap barrels you theoretically can have a optic already sighted ? What are the current owners experience with that? I can imagine the heavier calibers must wreck havok on a barrel mounted scope? And when you swap barrels are you confident your zero is good?

You can remove the barrel and remove the scope. Travel somewhere with them, reattach both barrel and scope, and your zero will not have moved a measurable amount. There is no disadvantage to Blasers scope mounting method, other than cost. Although the mounts will fit all Blaser barrels, you can't use one scope with two barrels, each scope must be matched with one barrel or re-zeroed.

You can remove the barrel and remove the scope. Travel somewhere with them, reattach both barrel and scope, and your zero will not have moved a measurable amount. There is no disadvantage to Blasers scope mounting method, other than cost. Although the mounts will fit all Blaser barrels, you can't use one scope with two barrels, each scope must be matched with one barrel or re-zeroed.
Of course yes I assumed it was two scopes two barrels. As calibers would differ.

What is the weight like ? Anyone have the weight of something like a 300winmag with the polymer stock?

I am still working very hard to enjoy my Blaser set-up. Still need to use it more before I’m convinced. Traveling ease is the main reason I got it. Then the “Erector set” bug hit me.
Slowly finding handloads and factory loads (tough these days!) that work as well as my “other” rifles and loads.

Of course yes I assumed it was two scopes two barrels. As calibers would differ.

What is the weight like ? Anyone have the weight of something like a 300winmag with the polymer stock?
@One Day... has done many of the weight calculations already on his thread. Not to mention a very comprehensive view of his going from traditional bolt guns to the Blaser R8. It's worth a read.

My wife and I have been in the Blaser game for just a short time. We currently have 3 stocks and 5 barrels. Calibers range from 22lr to 416RM and I've never experienced an issue with a scope moving or loosing zero. My mounts are Contessa QR and scopes are Swaro Z8i's. I have also been comprehensive (not nearly as detailed at @One Day...) in my transition into the Blaser world on this thread.

There are several members here who have helped me on my journey, and I'm very thankful for that. The Blaser learning curve is steep, but the rewards are great. If you are truly interested, reach out for a hand...most of us are willing to assist you with nearly any question. And more than likely we will be more knowledgable than most salesmen because we actually own the product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes to all your questions Chago :)

1) As I posted elsewhere, you can use the following Blaser "menu" to build whatever rifle you want:

1616124282270.png

Within a few oz. all calibers barrels weigh more or less the same weight in each "standard", "semi-weight" or "safari/Selous" contour.

For example, a .300 mag configuration on the alloy receiver stock and with a typical American scope will be:

1616124645046.png

2) It is indeed possible to use one scope for all barrels, but it is inconvenient. Not only would you need to re-sight the scope for each ballistic curve, but I have also noticed that you would need to adjust the mount tension going from one barrel to another, which does cause a small change of point of impact.

The solution is obviously to have one scope per barrel, but you can also have two scopes per barrel if appropriate. For example, my own semi-weight .375 H&H R8 barrel wears:

--- one Leica ER i 2.5-10x42 with BDC ring custom engraved to the 300 gr TSX clocked in my barrel for any PG out to any reasonable hunting distance, and buffalo in herds. This configuration also gives me the light gathering (42 mm objective) that I am likely to need for cats, and it only takes 7 clicks down to move from the TSX zero to the faster-opening 300 gr Partition zero (the Barnes TSX factory load clocks slower in my barrel than the Federal Partition load).

--- one Leica Magnus i 1-6x24 sighted with 350 gr Woodleigh FMJ solid for elephant (as a backup to my .470 K gun should a dream 60 pounder walk across a clearing and I cannot close on him at less than 50 yards), and 350 gr Woodleigh RN SN (round-nose soft-nose) for hippo body shots on land or dagga boy outside of a herd, should I not use my .470 K gun. The RN SN and FMJ shoot to the same point of aim, and one RN SN followed by FMJ make sense in this scenario.

3) Being able to use a 3 rifles - or at least a 2 rifles / 3 calibers - battery is THE reason I transitioned to the Blaser R8...

Blaser R8 + Krieghoff Big Five = 3 calibers to Africa in a rifle case <50 lbs. and <62" linear...

Pelican 1700 with Krieghoff .470 + Blaser R8 & 2 barrels.jpg

1616124706218.png

Depending on the hunt:

Light rifle - The .257 Wby 100 gr TTSX is absolutely devastating on all small & medium PG and likely one of the very best for mountain hunting (Vaal Rhebok, Mountain Reedbuck, Mountain Nyala, etc. as well as Himalayan Tahr, European Chamois, American Mountain Goat, etc.) and it shoots laser flat out to 400 yards with barely any recoil to notice (equivalent .270 Win) which makes it extremely easy to shoot well.

Medium rifle - Two options, depending on the hunt:
  • The .300 Wby is by a large consensus the best .300 there is when combining reach, power, and ammo availability. It does everything with a modern 165 gr TTSX or a more traditional 180 gr Partition, and hits a tremendous blow with a 200 gr AFrame. You can replace the .300 Wby with a .300 Win if you prefer. Either are needlessly powerful for small and medium PG species, but shine on the larger ones (Kudu, Wildebeest, etc. as well as European or New Zealand Red Deer, American Elk, etc.).
  • The .375 H&H satisfies all minimum legal requirements for DG and has done it all for over 100 years. It is certainly not ideal for climbing mountains after Vaal Rhebok, or stopping a charging Buffalo, but it can do both in a pinch. It is perfect with a 300 gr TSX or AFrame on Lion, undisturbed Buffalo, Eland, etc. and on Leopard too with a faster opening 300 gr Partition.
Heavy rifle - There is no question that a .416 Rem or .458 Lott barrel for the R8 would do just fine, but to me the double .470 NE is likely the quintessential rifle for elephant, buffalo - and we might as well add hippo on land - up close & personal in thick bush or Jess. In addition, to me a true DG rifle should also be a "stopper," and while the .375 is a great killer, it is admittedly on the light side as a charge stopper.

Sure, the .375 H&H could do it all, but the .257 Wby is such a sweet, easy to shoot, and devastatedly efficient caliber, and the .470 NE double is so much the "proper" rifle to hunt Buff and Ele that what why not bring them all when a solution finally exists to transport them easily in a rifle case that meets the <50 lbs. and <62" linear dimension airlines requirements :)

PS: I also have a .223 Rem barrel for inexpensive but realistic unlimited training shooting standing off the sticks out to 300 yards. I reckon it was probably one of my smartest R8 purchasing decisions...

1616124835350.png

Last edited:
Yes to all your questions Chago :)

1) As I posted elsewhere, you can use the following Blaser "menu" to build whatever rifle you want:

View attachment 393722

Within a few oz. all calibers barrels weigh more or less the same weight in each "standard", "semi-weight" or "safari/Selous" contour.

For example, a .300 mag configuration on the alloy receiver stock and with a typical American scope will be:

View attachment 393723

2) It is indeed possible to use one scope for all barrels, but it is inconvenient. Not only would you need to re-sight the scope for each ballistic curve, but I have also noticed that you would need to adjust the mount tension going from one barrel to another, which does cause a small change of point of impact.

The solution is obviously to have one scope per barrel, but you can also have two scopes per barrel if appropriate. For example, my own semi-weight .375 H&H R8 barrel wears:

--- one Leica ER i 2.5-10x42 with BDC ring custom engraved to the 300 gr TSX clocked in my barrel for any PG out to any reasonable hunting distance, and buffalo in herds. This configuration also gives me the light gathering (42 mm objective) that I am likely to need for cats, and it only takes 7 clicks down to move from the TSX zero to the faster-opening 300 gr Partition zero (the Barnes TSX factory load clocks slower in my barrel than the Federal Partition load).

--- one Leica Magnus i 1-6x24 sighted with 350 gr Woodleigh FMJ solid for elephant (as a backup to my .470 K gun should a dream 60 pounder walk across a clearing and I cannot close on him at less than 50 yards), and 350 gr Woodleigh RN SN (round-nose soft-nose) for hippo body shots on land or dagga boy outside of a herd, should I not use my .470 K gun. The RN SN and FMJ shoot to the same point of aim, and one RN SN followed by FMJ make sense in this scenario.

3) Being able to use a 3 rifles - or at least a 2 rifles / 3 calibers - battery is THE reason I transitioned to the Blaser R8...

Blaser R8 + Krieghoff Big Five = 3 calibers to Africa in a rifle case <50 lbs. and <62" linear...

Pelican 1700 with Krieghoff .470 + Blaser R8 & 2 barrels.jpg

View attachment 393724

Depending on the hunt:

Light rifle - The .257 Wby 100 gr TTSX is absolutely devastating on all small & medium PG and likely one of the very best for mountain hunting (Vaal Rhebok, Mountain Reedbuck, Mountain Nyala, etc. as well as Himalayan Tahr, European Chamois, American Mountain Goat, etc.) and it shoots laser flat out to 400 yards with barely any recoil to notice (equivalent .270 Win) which makes it extremely easy to shoot well.

Medium rifle - Two options, depending on the hunt:
  • The .300 Wby is by a large consensus the best .300 there is when combining reach, power, and ammo availability. It does everything with a modern 165 gr TTSX or a more traditional 180 gr Partition, and hits a tremendous blow with a 200 gr AFrame. You can replace the .300 Wby with a .300 Win if you prefer. Either are needlessly powerful for small and medium PG species, but shine on the larger ones (Kudu, Wildebeest, etc. as well as European or New Zealand Red Deer, American Elk, etc.).
  • The .375 H&H satisfies all minimum legal requirements for DG and has done it all for over 100 years. It is certainly not ideal for climbing mountains after Vaal Rhebok, or stopping a charging Buffalo, but it can do both in a pinch. It is perfect with a 300 gr TSX or AFrame on Lion, undisturbed Buffalo, Eland, etc. and on Leopard too with a faster opening 300 gr Partition.
Heavy rifle - There is no question that a .416 Rem or .458 Lott barrel for the R8 would do just fine, but to me the double .470 NE is likely the quintessential rifle for elephant, buffalo - and we might as well add hippo on land - up close & personal in thick bush or Jess. In addition, to me a true DG rifle should also be a "stopper," and while the .375 is a great killer, it is admittedly on the light side as a charge stopper.

Sure, the .375 H&H could do it all, but the .257 Wby is such a sweet, easy to shoot, and devastatedly efficient caliber, and the .470 NE double is so much the "proper" rifle to hunt Buff and Ele that what why not bring them all when a solution finally exists to transport them easily in a rifle case that meets the <50 lbs. and <62" linear dimension airlines requirements :)

PS: I also have a .223 Rem barrel for inexpensive but realistic unlimited training shooting standing off the sticks out to 300 yards. I reckon it was probably one of my smartest R8 purchasing decisions...

View attachment 393725
@One Day
Love the fast 25s. The 100grain Barnes TTSX @3670 fps out of my 25 is devastating and very flat shooting. 2 inch high at 100 yards to 8 inches low at 400. No complaints.
If I remember reading correctly you took the 257 to Africa and wrote about it. Just wish I could remember the article.
Bob

@One Day
Love the fast 25s. The 100grain Barnes TTSX @3670 fps out of my 25 is devastating and very flat shooting. 2 inch high at 100 yards to 8 inches low at 400. No complaints.
If I remember reading correctly you took the 257 to Africa and wrote about it. Just wish I could remember the article.
Bob

I believe that you might be thinking about my 2019 hunt report with Huntershill Safaris :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GingerHayw

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary (417)860-5888
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross