Look what AH made me buy...

So finally the stars aligned today between my time availability, finding a gun range of 100m and one that would allow .375H&H rounds.

After passing by the Liège proof house for the registration of the .500 NE, I got to shoot a few confidence rounds from my Heym 88b in 375H&H. I had already shot it with the 7x65r barrels before, but not yet the .375.

I shot a string of 8 rounds total. Starting with 4 softs and then 4 solids. I mainly wanted to see what this double rifle would be capable off at 100meters (=100 yards more or less).

There was no waiting for the barrels to cool down. By round 6, the barrels were too hot to keep prolonged skin contact with the metal. By the last round I could have gotten my finger tips burned.

Felt recoil was more than I expected, sharper. Having to shoot from a bench did not help either of course.

Ammunition used, was Norma Factory PH line 350 grain Round Nose Soft Nose (RNSN) as softs and Norma factory PH line 350 grain Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) as solids.

I added a 1 x 1 inch indicator as well to the target.

View attachment 565951

All in all, I'm quite happy with the result. I'm no amazing shot to begin with. However the first 4 rounds clearly show what the rifle is capable off. #3 and #4 are particularly satisfying. As well as the #5 and #6.

The last two rounds, I was almost more focusing on not getting my finger tips burned, so this was clearly on me.

@Frederik : I won't be able to use the rifle as an excuse for bad shooting... :D :D

(ps: the hole I made a cross through, is not me trying to ameliorate my results, I actually am not sure what happened. I went to hang up a virgin target, by the time I got back this hole as well as another one to the right (out of frame) had appeared... Seems like someone else on the range got confused)
after looking at it a bit more, I'm actually getting even more happy with these results, for a double rifle.

If we exclude shots 7 and 8, where the barrels were clearly getting very hot, and either due to the heat itself, or my fear of getting burned, I fumbled those shots. As well excluding the very first shot where I immediately noticed that I had not put the rifle well into my shoulder pocket. Then we keep the first barrel shots 3 and 5, both pretty much bull's eye out to 100m. With the second barrel shots 2, 4 and 6 being just around 2-2.5 inches to the right. That is definitely useable for any game animal in Africa.

@Frederik, let's perhaps see what it can do on the first shot, out to 200m. Less than 30d before lift-off!

after looking at it a bit more, I'm actually getting even more happy with these results, for a double rifle.

If we exclude shots 7 and 8, where the barrels were clearly getting very hot, and either due to the heat itself, or my fear of getting burned, I fumbled those shots. As well excluding the very first shot where I immediately noticed that I had not put the rifle well into my shoulder pocket. Then we keep the first barrel shots 3 and 5, both pretty much bull's eye out to 100m. With the second barrel shots 2, 4 and 6 being just around 2-2.5 inches to the right. That is definitely useable for any game animal in Africa.

@Frederik, let's perhaps see what it can do on the first shot, out to 200m. Less than 30d before lift-off!

Are these the loads that Heym says the rifle was regulated to use? It would be a remarkable oddity to have it factory regulated for 350gr bullets, rather than 300gr or 270gr that is far more common.

Are these the loads that Heym says the rifle was regulated to use? It would be a remarkable oddity to have it factory regulated for 350gr bullets, rather than 300gr or 270gr that is far more common.

That is indeed what the rifle was regulated for according to Heym. Norma factory ammo with 350grain Woodleigh RNSN and FMJ

Looking good Jurgen and definetly and very good working and good looking rifle.
Shooting 350gr from the bench will not be fun if you are not use to it.

So finally the stars aligned today between my time availability, finding a gun range of 100m and one that would allow .375H&H rounds.

After passing by the Liège proof house for the registration of the .500 NE, I got to shoot a few confidence rounds from my Heym 88b in 375H&H. I had already shot it with the 7x65r barrels before, but not yet the .375.

I shot a string of 8 rounds total. Starting with 4 softs and then 4 solids. I mainly wanted to see what this double rifle would be capable off at 100meters (=100 yards more or less).

There was no waiting for the barrels to cool down. By round 6, the barrels were too hot to keep prolonged skin contact with the metal. By the last round I could have gotten my finger tips burned.

Felt recoil was more than I expected, sharper. Having to shoot from a bench did not help either of course.

Ammunition used, was Norma Factory PH line 350 grain Round Nose Soft Nose (RNSN) as softs and Norma factory PH line 350 grain Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) as solids.

I added a 1 x 1 inch indicator as well to the target.

View attachment 565951

All in all, I'm quite happy with the result. I'm no amazing shot to begin with. However the first 4 rounds clearly show what the rifle is capable off. #3 and #4 are particularly satisfying. As well as the #5 and #6.

The last two rounds, I was almost more focusing on not getting my finger tips burned, so this was clearly on me.

@Frederik : I won't be able to use the rifle as an excuse for bad shooting... :D :D

(ps: the hole I made a cross through, is not me trying to ameliorate my results, I actually am not sure what happened. I went to hang up a virgin target, by the time I got back this hole as well as another one to the right (out of frame) had appeared... Seems like someone else on the range got confused)
am i interpreting the target right, the bullets are crossing? the right barrel shots are hitting to the left of the left barrel? if so, slowing down the bullets a bit will get them to shoot closer together AND be correctly oriented to your barrels. just a thought.

am i interpreting the target right, the bullets are crossing? the right barrel shots are hitting to the left of the left barrel? if so, slowing down the bullets a bit will get them to shoot closer together AND be correctly oriented to your barrels. just a thought.
Correct, the right barrel with the front trigger, shoots pretty much center target, with the left barrel (back trigger) shooting 2 inches to the right. So indeed crossing around the 50m mark I gather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Rosenth

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you