Long Over Due

I own a .300 Winchester Magnum savage rifle. I've done my research and would love to have a Rigby for Africa. However, most of my hunting will be in the US for the foreseeable future.
300WM is an excellent start to an African rifle battery. I regard Savage rifles very highly for their out of the box accuracy, albeit not the best in the looks department IMO.

A logical step up from .30 caliber is .375 if you plan on using it in Africa. (BTW .375 is still very useful for hunting in North America.) I'm not sure what your budget for a rifle is, but a Rigby in 375H&H starts at $12K (used) and goes up from there. There are lots of good deals out there for .375 caliber rifles like Win M70, Ruger M77/Hawkeye, Kimber Talkeetna and CZ550/BRNO602 being the major CRF options for right around the $2K starting price. And don't forget about Savage making a couple very affordable options in 375RUGER as well as a several others I'm sure to have forgotten.

Lots of options out there for everyone to find their own preference. Take your time, do some reading here on AH and enjoy the journey.

Welcome!

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on you big game success!

Welcome aboard Daktari. Find somebody that hunts "Hogs" in your area and hook up with him. Good practice and loads of fun.

In a few years you will be asking which is a better bullet for your double rifle for your upcoming cape Buffalo hunt, Woodleighs or A-Frames.

This is by far the best and most polite hunting forum I have ever been a part of.

Report is posted y'all!

welcome welcome welcome

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH and the world of hunting. Your choice of a .300 Win mag is an excellent one as it will handle any African plains game with the appropriate bullets.
A .375 (H&H or Ruger) or .416 (Remington, Rigby or Ruger) will serve you well for dangerous game.

Welcome to AH, hunting is definitely an adventure that many time reads to memories and no meat on the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you