Lion Is Left Bloodied And Battered After Buffalo Fights It Off In Hour-long Battle

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

This lion bit off more than it could chew.
In an hour-long battle in South Luangwa National Park, Zambia, the 420lb lion clung onto a 1,900lb buffalo, sinking its claws into the animal's hide.
But the prey proved more than a match for the predator, which ended up being impaled by the buffalo's horn.

Pictures taken by Matt Armstrong-Ford, 31, from the Isle of Bute, Scotland show the bloodied lion exhausted on the ground in defeat as several of the buffalo gathered around him.

Days later the weakened big cat was found dead having been attacked by hyenas.

Male buffalos are considered to be one of the most dangerous animals in Africa. Their horns fuse together creating a tough shield which is known as a 'boss'. Some refer to them as 'black death' or 'widowmakers' as they reportedly trample or kill around 200 people a year.
Screenshot_39.png

Screenshot_40.png

Dee S

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Nimrod Rifle Club, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Wyoming, Kansas, Alaska, Namibia
Looks like a really old and malnourished lion. Probably was driven by hunger and desperation? But hey, what a way to go out old man, good for you. No rocking chair for him.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Wonder what the greenies make of this?

It is an old single male lion, deteriorated by age and in ability to feed itself after passing on its genes and being kicked out after losing the fight to two younger stronger males.

The buffalo he targeted was an old female, he just could not get the job done....

Being eaten alive days later by hyenas....

I would have prefered a hunters bullet.....

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Mature female is exactly right.

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
It is the circle of life played out in a clasic fight between predator and prey. It is a show of what has occurred from the dawn of time. The problem with the urban activists is that it doesn't fit their Disney inspired beliefs of how things work. This is a, in your face life and death struggle that occurs in the real world of nature.

Jörg Krüger

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa
It is the circle of life played out in a clasic fight between predator and prey. It is a show of what has occurred from the dawn of time. The problem with the urban activists is that it doesn't fit their Disney inspired beliefs of how things work. This is a, in your face life and death struggle that occurs in the real world of nature.
But the urban activists are right. Timon, Pumba and Simba are friends.:D Cheers: Did you not know that?:LOL:

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
speaking of life and death battles, did any of you see the video put out by Steve Rinella where a youngish black bear is attempting to kill a feral hog?

that video goes on for 10 minutes, and the bear is too exhausted to continue, so he just runs off. he hurt the hog quite badly, or at least it appears that way.

it's actually kind of hard to watch, but as I told my youngest stepson, this is how nature do. there are no old folk homes in nature. animals die by being eaten, or they starve to death, or some parasite or disease kills them.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
I have seen this before but it was full video. Believe its several years old. Brutal combat.

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana

Last edited by a moderator:

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
Pulled pork....
They serve that at Disney World, BTW
At a party I attended, a lady, offended by the host's deer trophies said, "I don't know why we can't just leave the animals alone", as she ate an hors d'oeuvre of date wrapped in fried bacon. I would like to show this heifer one of the above videos..................FWB

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England

Shitty end for one hell of a warrior.
I think he would prefer a bullet if he had the choice.

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
Shitty end for one hell of a warrior.
I think he would prefer a bullet if he had the choice.
when i finally get over there for a buffalo, I want to give an old warrior a good death. less than 10 yo, i'm just not interested.

Rocco490

Bronze supporter
AH senior member
Reaction score
420 pounds in his prime maybe but I don't think that lion weighed that at the time the pictures were taken. Looks to have been starving probably got kicked out of his pride going it alone. Still that's a big cat unfortunately for him buffalo are seriously tough customers. Amazing

Excessexpress

AH veteran
Reaction score
Wonder what the greenies make of this?

It is an old single male lion, deteriorated by age and in ability to feed itself after passing on its genes and being kicked out after losing the fight to two younger stronger males.

The buffalo he targeted was an old female, he just could not get the job done....

Agreed.

Rhetorical questions aside, there needs to be more of this show throughout the world. Nothing I have ever seen is crueller than nature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imtiaz Dasoo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?