Lion Hunting In The Kalahari

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa

For those of you that might be on the fence about doing a Lion hunt. Here's a video taken on the same property that myself and @Ridgewalker hunted on this year. Seun was our PH and the two trackers, William and Jeffrey were our trackers as well. This video is a very good representation of how we hunted. The main difference being that we didn't opt for the tent camping as these guys did. We stayed in the lodge on the property. Oh how I wish I was there now!

Oh how I wish I was there now!

I wish I was anywhere warm! I’ve been shoveling snow some every day trying to clear walks, driveway and patios! Not sure what people do in really cold climates?

Shooter needs to spend A LOT less time worrying about his brass and a lot more time focusing on getting fresh cartridges in.

I really need to hit a big lottery so I can go on this type of hunt. Just awesome!

Ridge Runner, I thought my hunt was surprisingly reasonable. Not much more than a typical RSA Cape buffalo hunt. It included a lion and a lioness as well as an impala and a gemsbuck thrown in.
If you look hard enough through the Deals and Offers section of AH, you will find a number of very reasonable hunts for most any game. Granted there are some expensive hunts in exotic locations, but for good reason. More exotic out-of-the-way places cost a lot just for conservancy government leases, logistics and costs to build lodges, costs of getting supplies (food, fuel, liquor, etc) into those places. They must keep people there to protect and maintain it year round. If one can afford an exotic location, nothing could be better! But there are some really fine hunts at reasonable prices to be found. And my hunt in the Kalahari was one. JMO

Best of luck finding your dream hunt!

All I can say is the lodge there is very nice and Seun is an exceptional chap

NS, you just had way too much fun there IMO!(y)

I really need to hit a big lottery so I can go on this type of hunt. Just awesome!

If you don't care about hunting a lioness, this is about as good as it's ever going to get price wise. And if you want a male, but don't care about the size of the mane, that can be had for a little more. Since you're in the U.S., you can't import anyway, so no need for a big mane anyway or any other part.

If you don't care about hunting a lioness, this is about as good as it's ever going to get price wise. And if you want a male, but don't care about the size of the mane, that can be had for a little more. Since you're in the U.S., you can't import anyway, so no need for a big mane anyway or any other part.

Thats right. The silver lining for hunters is that import bans have driven prices down where the average guy can afford to hunt a lion as long as you don't care about bringing it back. Video the hunt and take lots of pictures, which last longer anyway.

Shooter needs to spend A LOT less time worrying about his brass and a lot more time focusing on getting fresh cartridges in.

Wasn't a textbook tactical reload, was it. However, given the serious pucker factor, many of us might not do much better.

Yep , that's cool.
Sadly no imports and that sucks big time. That would be an amazing rug!
Camping out where the Lion is, Did they edit the bit where they took a short drive or is someone keeping watch?
Id like to do that hunt except I wouldn't sleep so well just a km from where I last saw it.

That was a hunt! Would so like to go on such a safari! Know it's an older thread, but still cool to watch!

1st. That was friggin awesome!
2nd. I REALLY want to go back!
3rd. I now want to hunt lion more than ever before!
4th. Did the PH shoot at the end as well? If so, was it premature? Thoughts?
5th. What caliber do they require for lion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg