Lion Hunting In The Kalahari

TOBY458

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa

For those of you that might be on the fence about doing a Lion hunt. Here's a video taken on the same property that myself and @Ridgewalker hunted on this year. Seun was our PH and the two trackers, William and Jeffrey were our trackers as well. This video is a very good representation of how we hunted. The main difference being that we didn't opt for the tent camping as these guys did. We stayed in the lodge on the property. Oh how I wish I was there now!

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Oh how I wish I was there now!
I wish I was anywhere warm! I’ve been shoveling snow some every day trying to clear walks, driveway and patios! Not sure what people do in really cold climates?

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
Shooter needs to spend A LOT less time worrying about his brass and a lot more time focusing on getting fresh cartridges in.

Ridge Runner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa
I really need to hit a big lottery so I can go on this type of hunt. Just awesome!

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Ridge Runner, I thought my hunt was surprisingly reasonable. Not much more than a typical RSA Cape buffalo hunt. It included a lion and a lioness as well as an impala and a gemsbuck thrown in.
If you look hard enough through the Deals and Offers section of AH, you will find a number of very reasonable hunts for most any game. Granted there are some expensive hunts in exotic locations, but for good reason. More exotic out-of-the-way places cost a lot just for conservancy government leases, logistics and costs to build lodges, costs of getting supplies (food, fuel, liquor, etc) into those places. They must keep people there to protect and maintain it year round. If one can afford an exotic location, nothing could be better! But there are some really fine hunts at reasonable prices to be found. And my hunt in the Kalahari was one. JMO

Best of luck finding your dream hunt!

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA

norfolk shooter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
All I can say is the lodge there is very nice and Seun is an exceptional chap

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
NS, you just had way too much fun there IMO!(y)

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
I really need to hit a big lottery so I can go on this type of hunt. Just awesome!
If you don't care about hunting a lioness, this is about as good as it's ever going to get price wise. And if you want a male, but don't care about the size of the mane, that can be had for a little more. Since you're in the U.S., you can't import anyway, so no need for a big mane anyway or any other part.

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
If you don't care about hunting a lioness, this is about as good as it's ever going to get price wise. And if you want a male, but don't care about the size of the mane, that can be had for a little more. Since you're in the U.S., you can't import anyway, so no need for a big mane anyway or any other part.
Thats right. The silver lining for hunters is that import bans have driven prices down where the average guy can afford to hunt a lion as long as you don't care about bringing it back. Video the hunt and take lots of pictures, which last longer anyway.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
Shooter needs to spend A LOT less time worrying about his brass and a lot more time focusing on getting fresh cartridges in.
Wasn't a textbook tactical reload, was it. However, given the serious pucker factor, many of us might not do much better.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Yep , that's cool.
Sadly no imports and that sucks big time. That would be an amazing rug!
Camping out where the Lion is, Did they edit the bit where they took a short drive or is someone keeping watch?
Id like to do that hunt except I wouldn't sleep so well just a km from where I last saw it.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Damon Engel wrote on Saul's profile.
Hello! I noticed your E Type in your avatar. What year is it? I have a '69 that looks identical, minus the wire wheels. My car has the steel rims, as I understand it,a more expensive option, but I like the wire wheel much better!
pamtnman wrote on Timothy Doyle's profile.
Interested in the 450/400 dies. I have PayPal. Thank you
Hunt booked 2022
ve7poi wrote on ZANA BOTES SAFARI's profile.
See you in May 2022
twenty days with you time seems to have slowed now after booking lol
tarbe wrote on Royal27's profile.
Current ETA to Buc-ees is 11 am or we can meet you there about 2 hrs later in the way back.